Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs History of the Custom display ~ GNRS ~ OFFICIAL thread info & photo's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by axle, Oct 1, 2010.

1. hershambob

hershambob

thats a $700 flight i had,nt planed for in jan,still nothing like a long weekend in socal

2. You will not be sorry that you spent that money believe me.

3. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

This is going to be absolute torture for 3 months...I can't frikin wait!!!:D

4. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I second that!

5. tex1935

tex1935

There is a past winner of GNRS named Eddie Bosio. I believe he won in 1960 or 1961. For info [email protected]

6. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

Is it January yet? Hey Rik is there any chance of getting Barry to bring The Aztec out here. That would be cool to see in person, and maybe The Kopper Kart.

7. Rikster

Rikster

I have asked Barry about it.... but have not heard back from him. I will see if I can speak with him this weekend. I need to get some info from him on a few other cars as well. Barry, if you see this, can you send me an email! The Kopper Kart clone is one we would like to have... We talked about it, but I dont know the current state on getting it...

8. Rikster

Rikster

Here are two more cars that we would like to have for the show.. or at least be able to talk to the owners to see if they are interested in showing thier car at this event. But so far we have not been able to locate the pressent owners.

So if anybody knows how to get in touch with any of the cars shown below.... please send an PM.

The Busonic

[​IMG]

Randy Dunn Winfield painted Buick

[​IMG]

9. jivin jer

jivin jer

My intent from the very beginning of this build was to recapture a place and time that represented my youth and the absolute “mind blow” that was a result of my exposure to the So. Cal. car culture at that time.

If you’ve followed along with this build you’ve seen my reference to this project as a “historical document”. The person that I always kept in mind was the 16-17 y.o. Jr. and the time frame that he built his Kustom dream car in. Because he is the focus as well as the car ( and the culture) I chose the last version because it was his favorite.

His all consuming drive for something “modern” and different led to the bulky hoods over the ’55 Chev being flush and delicate. He could have installed a ’54 Pontiac grille but chose a straight bar grille that was “new” to that time. He chose a Merc. Grille shell because he wanted the grille to “float” in the opening.

Because this was a “daily driver” and because of limited funds there was the enamel in the under hood area that was “sprayed out” and not rubbed. There was the firewall color “blown down” on the frame rails. The gold/bronze powder “blown in” the front wheel wells and front suspension.

Although Herb and Jr bought the car with the distinctive Gaylord headliner Jr had a “mom and pop “ trim shop in Compton complete the interior. Again, because of limited funds it wasn’t perfect (see post # 628 on build thread). All this has to be captured to see the authentic car.

There is the level of paint technology that predates different colored panels being buried in clear (and rubbed) that resulted in hard lines at the edges of these panels. That came a few years later. The dash was first masked and painted Ivory and when the “Sam Bronze” was added later it just “blew in” the glove box opening. There was a mighty struggle to get the main body color right (see post # 74 on the build thread).

Jr. sent me many pics. One was a fuzzy shot of the dash area that showed the correct steering wheel. It also revealed the mismatched kick panel/door panel configuration. The kick panels were not installed using the retainers and this resulted in trim screws being used. The trim below the firewall pad had been removed which made it difficult to keep the carpet in place.

I was disappointed to learn that the glove box latch’s were used as actuators for the outside door poppers. They have that (ugly) key slot in them. After spending some time thinking about this I realized how brilliant it was. You could have ele. doors that could be locked. Jr told me that there were no interior door handles. The mech.’s had been removed. You opened them from the inside by pushing actuator buttons on the lower dash surface at both sides of the radio. The purpose for this was that “the girls could get in but they couldn’t get out”.

This obsession continues to the side trim with the splices in the correct places and the rear gravel shield not molded in like the front because of a time crunch to get the car to a particular show.

I was driven from the beginning to capture these things (and others) so that the “real car” was represented accurately. If Jr were to build this car today it would be done very differently (the doors were never off this car). It is my intention to show this car as Jr would have done it at that time with a sparse display configuration (show card with original pics).

Thanks for the invite. - Jerry

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  10. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Johnny,good talking to you yesterday.I am going online to check prices for flights.Hope I can make it.

11. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Would be nice to see the Aztec there.Dont know about the Kopper Kart,might be a possibility.

12. tex1935 -

Interesting ... I'm familiar with Eddie Bosio's 1956 AMBR winning "Mr. Ed" '32 Roadster:

1956 AMBR.jpg

... now back in the Edelbrock stable ... restored by Brizio to its Vic Edelbrock configuration ... and was 1 of the "75 most significant '32s" display @ the '07 GNRS:

Vic Edelbrock '32 Roadster.jpg

... but I wasn't aware that Eddie Bosio had a CUSTOM that won at the '60 or '61 GNRS ... what kind of car was it?

13. Rikster

Rikster

Three more additions to the list of custom cars that will be at the GNRS event.

Steve Frisbie from Steve's Auto Resotorations is going to bring the unrestored sectioned 1950 Ford Custom for Ron Dunn.

How it looks today.
    [​IMG]

And this is how it looked in its glory days.

[​IMG]

And this is how it looked when it first left the Valley Custom Shop

[​IMG]

Tranny John Saltsman is going to bring his Highly Customized Studebaker Pick Up with a fresh new period paint-job and full custom interior which is being installed at this moment. This car had worked done by some of the famous Custom Car builders around like Bill Hines, Barris, Dick Dean, Keith Deans and Brad Masterson.

Photo © Chrome & Light Vintage Photo
    [​IMG]

And Dave Pareso is bringing his Studebaker Pick Up truck that was built in the early 1960's.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I can't wait to see Ron Dunn's sectioned '50!!!! That thing cooooool!

15. I will say it again.

16. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

I will second that entirely.

17. Another one that should be there is the 1940 Mercury convertible that won the Detroit Autorama trophy for full custom year after year.
    I think it was first owned by Dick Reams?
    then Jerry Yatch,
    then Hank McAuliiffe?
    Now Russ and Bess myers.
    One of the first customs on Pebble Beach and took a third place trophy there.
    This is the car that hooked me on hotrods and customs.
    Yes, I like the blue glass, that was cool in Detroit in the fifties.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

18. Mmmmmm Romango! ^^^^^ A truly bitchin 40 Merc. It was featured in the Nov 92 American Rodder mag and was owned by Harry McAuliffe at that time.

19. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

Wow, when did she have Buick rims?

20. donut29

donut29
    from canton MI

I just booked my flight and hotel. Cant wait it will be my first time out to the GNRS and it looks like I picked a good one to go to.

21. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

This car will not be there, since we are not even started working on it as of yet.. Sorry guys..

22. Dave Martinez

Dave Martinez
    from California

This is what David Zivot is going to bring it out for it's first time showen ever. We have been putting a lot of work into this era correct custom.. David Zivot, Jeffery Savage, as well as myself, have put a lot of hours and work into this car.. I can't wait for everyone to get the chance to see this beautiful custom.

David Martinez

Attached Files:

23. Don's 55

Don's 55

"Tranny John Saltsman is going to bring his Highly Customized Studebaker Pick Up with a fresh new period paint-job and full custom interior which is being installed at this moment. This car had worked done by some of the famous Custom Car builders around like Bill Hines, Barris, Dick Dean, and Brad Masterson."

Photo © Chrome & Light Vintage Photo
    [​IMG]

Looking forward to seeing Tranny John's Truck!
    As well as all the other great customs lined up for this show.

24. HELLMET

HELLMET

hey axle did you get my pm about my friend 61 vette rod powell did in 66-67 and went to the grand nats 68-69 and still has the dash plauqes on the dash? billy

Attached Files:

25. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Is Kiwi doing the upholstery.I remeber seeing that at his shop a year or so ago.It's really cool!

26. Rikster

Rikster

Yes

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  27. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I was just wondering.It should look awesome.I think Kiwi is about the best upholster out there.Maybe I'll run by the shop and check it out.Thanks Rik

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  28. Wow... I think I might have to round up the Wyoming HAMB contingent. I am so excited about this.

Will there be any local HAMB members in Cali, and can be available to make sure the country boys dont get lost in the city.

29. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Hi everyone, after another hectic week/weekend i thought i'd better chime in here. Again, my "Dream Team" have been steadily working on this project with me . We've had several meetings and will continue to have more. The guys (Luke included) keep bringing up more and more ideas every day. We have a lot of surprises that will wait til the weekend of , but lets just say you'll be blown away. Again, we are working on many cars from the 1940's forward and been really concentrating on the early "pioneering" days of the custom - something that has seemed to be overlooked in the past.
    Hellmet - Billy, sorry man, just got your message and we're thinking about it. Thanks for the friendly suggestion.
    Hot Rod Ron, Same thing, we hear ya - thanks.
    Dave Martinez - How sit going ol buddy? That 36 is looking awesome but i'm going to have to talk to Zivot tomorrow.
    Jivin Jer - You're doing an amazing job on your shoebox Ford - He's going to be honored,humbled, and proud of the work you've done.
    Hot Rod 1940 - Thats one fantastic 40 Merc convertible that i've seen in magazines over the years. Would love to consider that car. Anyone know all of the cars history?
    Nads, you gotta make it out here.

Car Updates: I have been personally working on getting the Ralph Jilek 40 Ford convertible/Valley Customs.
    The best example of the Moonglow - owned by Tony Feil - he's seriously considering it.
    the REAL El Matador - owner is considering.
    the Daout Dodge - Talked to Sonny last week - Great guy - Might be light at the end of the tunnel.

Two California customs that i am searching. The green 56 Dodge was originally a convertible - made in to a Pick Up. Ex owner Paul Murphy recently told me that the car is now in New Jersey - anyone on the east coat have the where abouts?

Still looking for the Dick McArdle Chevy. I saw this car at Joe Bailons in the early 90's then again in the mid 90's at Paso. I think the car is still in California.

Thanks for all the kind words and support fella's, we're working very hard to make this the most historic Custom display ever. And its nice to read/hear that so many are coming from around the globe.

Axle

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  30. Gaters

Gaters

Gonna be great!!