Register now to get rid of these ads!

Solid mount Mustang II rack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike in Tulsa, Oct 10, 2010.

1. Hey fellas, I'm trying to finish up my 51 GMC. When I mocked up the chassis I had the rubber bushings for the Mustang II rack in backwards. Basically the rack was mounted solid to the crossmember. Now when I put them in the way they are supposed to be I have a few clearance issues. The oil pan (Chevy 261) sits about 3/8" off of the rack and the steering u-joint is about 3/16 from the motor mount. Nothing is hitting but I would like just a little more room. Would it be a problem to solid mount the rack? This would lower it just a little and move it back just a little. It would make me feel better about the clearance issues. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. NWRacing

NWRacing

When we put them in race cars we use aluminium bushings wich makes it essentially a solid mount I have never done it on a street car though.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I mounted my steering rack (not MII, but I don't figure that would matter) dead solid to frame mounted crossmember. Works perfect, for over 5,000 miles so far.

4. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The 71, and 72 Pinto's had the rack mounted solid on the drivers side, and a U-clamp with a small rubber bushing on the passenger side. They made the Mustang II (and 74 and up Pinto's) all rubber mounted to dampen any jolts from the steering to the chassis, doesn't hurt it to use aluminum, urethane, or delrin bushings.

5. canman

canman

The only reason the rubber bushings are there is to minimize the vibration felt in the steering wheel. There should be no mechanical problem with solid mounts.

6. Thanks guys, That's what I figured. Just thought I'd ask.