Register now to get rid of these ads!

timing a 62 Galaxie

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HoodDirty, Oct 9, 2010.

1. HoodDirty

HoodDirty
    from Boulder

just a simple question, i think. I had the intake manifold off last night to fix some oil leaks. Its a 352 in a 62 Galaxie. I cant find any TDC mark or timing marks. maybe they wore off? I know nothing about FE engines so help me out.

2. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I don't if I should help you with your problem of flame you for not doing an intro.

Maybe I am feeling nice since I have a soft spot for 352's and '62 Galaxies and Mercs.

If you are having trouble finding TDC, take the plug out of cylinder #1, put your thumb over the plug hole and hand crank the engine until the air pressure blows your thumb off the hole. You are now on the compression stroke. Insert a straw in the plug hole and finish bringing the piston all the way up to TDC. The straw makes it really easy to see when the piston is at TDC. Now mark your dampner, as this corresponds to TDC.

Also, the rotor on the distributor should now be pointing right at the contact on the cap that leads to #1. If you are a chebbie guy, remember that Ford numbers there cylinders completely differently.

[​IMG]

Here is what the pointer and dampner should look like on the 352.
    Hope this helps. And do an intro.

[​IMG]

3. HoodDirty

HoodDirty
    from Boulder

thanks for taking it easy on me. I figured it out though, the marks were cover with crud that was so smooth i couldnt even notice it.

i'll get that intro up too.