Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy racing.....RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Oct 7, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'll have the new date by the end of the week. The Indy date wasn't even supposed to be out yet, but it was leaked.

Joliet is definitely on though!

2. This is a good thing... I'm trying to figure out how to make it up there from Texas just to get my car on that historical track.

3. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

perhaps the drag racing held at Joliet could be expanded to mimic the past drag racing held at Indy GG-ORP? The two venues are not that far apart, so fans of Nostalgic drag racing could easily attend Joliet instead of Indy and satisfy their thirst for some old school action.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not a bad idea at all. I'll pass it along.

5. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

You will find it difficult to keep racers and show cars happy at the same venue. Both groups have different needs. When you bring your car to a show you tend to hang by it, you would most likely not leave it unattended for a long period of time to watch racing, if you did you would return to find that the clown whore you haiku'ed about had dug her heals into your hood paint. This is why when you mix the two you get bad attendance numbers at the drags. It's real hard to hold a car show at a drag racing event, space. I don't understand why you guys are paying all of this insurance and track cleaning fees, you must be leasing the track for the weekend, if you had a choice between walking away from the racing part or sharing the track with non nostalgia cars what would the choice be? There must be a way of getting you guys out from under these insurance fees which you should not be fronting and this track prep fee BS which should be covered by the racers fees. Unfortunately being a corporation for profit it can be very difficult to justify a break even or a loss of revenue at an event, however it may sometimes be worth putting on an exciting and unique event to drive growth and interest in the movement at large. To walk away from or move towards eliminating a nostalgia event unfortunately will create an opportunity for a smaller more nimble group to place that event, this will eliminate all possibility for your group to be competitive in this type of event in the future. My positive and constructive input from a view point you may not see.

6. 55vickie

55vickie

Heck of an idea! I wanted to see the Friday night racing at Joliet but could not get there. Lets run some on Saturday!

7. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

KIRK!

Will the Museum be open for the event? And will admission be included with the GG's entry or???

What about a tour of the Pagoda and/or some of the areas not accessable during the races?

I ask because I just went, took our family from Trieste Italy that we recently connected with. (its a long story, but I love telling it if you'd like to hear it.) It was a great time. It was like walking back in time. I grew up out there and worked across the street for years and still get excited about heading out there.

I think this was a great idea for this, both the venus and the date change.

Thanks
    Cory

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Good questions. I don't know the answers yet.

9. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

While I will miss the Drag racing at Indy GG I will still be there, Its my favorite Goodguys event, not because of the venue or the racing but because of the people and the pre and after parties. Indy is a GREAT hot rod Community and I will continue to show up as long as they have an event there

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

Crewman perspective,,,,, screw the drag racing, when I go to Indy GG its with a blown altered, and I am never able to see the show as we are always racing or tuning and fixing.

At least now when I go it'll be for the show and not the go.

But then agian, I'm an idiot so who cares right?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like a great event in the making. The chance to actually be a participant at an event on the grounds of the Speedway may draw a lot of us from long distances who didn't make the trip before.

You can't please everyone at just about any event anymore and The guys putting the Pileup are finding that out this weekend. Explicit rules for the event posted months ago plus a 20.00 entry fee and 5.00 at the gate with free parking for spectators and still some bitch and whine.
    If you aren't happy about the location of and event, the activities that it has or the restrictions or in some cases lack of certain restrictions go somewhere else. A lot of us don't go to one event or an other in our home areas for one reason or another and at the same time we make a supreme effort to go to events that spin our wheels.

12. KIRK! sounds like you're a gold chain wearin' billet lovin' greedy-guy mutha f*&$er, not unlike myself. :D Now that I got that off my chest. I'm super excited to hear about the venue change for Indy, I can't wait to see a couple thousand hot rods and customs at the brickyard it should make for an truly awesome setting.

I have two questions for you, (1) will Hot Rod of the Year still be awarded in Indy? and (2) will there be any changes to the award criteria for the Hot Rod of the Year? as for me, I'm am hoping that you can talk IMS into letting the HROTY participants do an 1/8th mile squirt down the front or back stretch at Indy.

13. KIRK!

KIRK!

-Correct

(1) Yes.

(2) No.

14. belair

belair

Wow-Indy and all that is too far for me to be able go to, but after reading this thread, I can see why GG keeps you around, Kirk. Very informative and professional. Thanks for keeping the air clear.

15. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Hey Kirk!
    Is hot rod of the year still going to be at Indy or somewhere else or not at all?

16. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

sorry didn't see the response before. Great to know. Need new glasses!!!

17. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Your little green truck would be a shoe in for the title:cool:

18. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Looked for the Olds at the Hunnert? Problems?

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I didn't attend but Olds is running fine thanks.

20. Hey Kirk! now that you've leaked the new date is there any chance the management might move the event date? say up one weekend to the 9th - 11th of September?

See there's this kinda famous 50+ year old drag race every year over labor day in Indy and I thought it would be really killer if you could hit up both the "Big Go" and GG Indy in a ten day span with a Mid-West Hot Rod week in between.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

I doubt it. Available dates are the hardest step of planning events.

22. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very cool! Looking forward to cruizn down to Indy in mid-Sept.
    I sure hope Spam-O-Rama will be on that Friday and Tom Culbertson's party will be on that Saturday night. Those two partys really rounded out a perfect GG Indy weekend.:cool:

23. I figured as much but it might be worth checking into in the future, but then again what do I know? I've never been to either event but I've always wanted to attend them. Although, if I could do hit both events on same road trip now that would be awesome!

24. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Hey Kirk, will sign-in/up still be at the Clarion/Water Front Hotel?

25. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

AND the " Bubbas" spam a rama right across the street............wow better cook some extra for this year........:eek::D

26. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

I for one am really exited about the change. This is going to be a really cool event.

Honestly, I'm glad the date has changed as well......

Come one, come all.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

Details still need to be worked out, but the thought was to possibly have it at the IMS museum. Of course the Clarion would still be an option. I'll post the answer when there is one.

28. millersgarage

millersgarage

I was curious about the HROTY thing too, I did not think it was completely answered. Before, you had to make a drag pass, but with no drags, what will be required?

I enjoy the show at indy, but the evening parties make it complete

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

That is the one hiccup. We'll have to figure out an alternative activity. Suggestions?

30. millersgarage

millersgarage

an autocross would be interesting, but most of the cars are NOT built for that