Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy racing.....RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Oct 7, 2010.

1. old_skool_1953

old_skool_1953

Change of venue will be absolutely GREAT! I will miss the vintage racing but ORP is a horrible venue. The swap meet is always a mud soup walk and the facility is outdated and laid out horrible. This will be a excellent move. Kudos to Good Guys!

2. 61falcon

61falcon

3. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

lmao hahahahahah. :D

i'll go now .both places have a lot of history. i had chill bumps when i pulled thru the gates at daytona,same at irp. i'm sure i will at ims. folks let it go, if you don't like it stay home.way to much DRAMA:cool: i'm sure insurance dictates the speed of the cruise around the track

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

ha ha ha :)

5. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

Is that a good source?

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

I guess that depends who you ask.

7. Nitro crew chief

Nitro crew chief
    from Illinois

I have attended almost every GG event at IRP (I refuse to call it ORP), the main reason being the nostalgia drags. Hell, we even won funny car eliminator one year (Dunn & Gone). I do think the move might be a good move for the GG orginization as I have seen the number of race cars dwindle and I understand the expenses of running a drag race, not to mention the lack of fans watching the racing.Hopefully there will be another track to take up the slack in losing 2 racing events here in the midwest. IMS is well laid out for the street rodders unlike IRP. I will miss the racing, and probably the Indy GG event from now on, but I believe it will be the correct move for everyone except the racers.

8. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

Guys and Gals (hi Denise) I have attended a bunch of car shows at IMS back in the 70's and 80's and there is not a better place to be at! Just wait until you are sitting in the infield when some hi power Hemi's take to the track - the view is awesome - good move!!

9. KIRK!

KIRK!

I think so too. I'm not sure how or why some people take a straight forward business decision and interpret it as a personal attack.

10. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

I doubt I'll go back to Indy GG if there'e no drag racing unless i have nothing better to do on that date...liked having access to both parts of the event...

11. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

a good move and a beter date. can't wait

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Its the same weekend as the Rebel Run which I always attend so I dont know if I could attend it,now if they would move it back to august then I could.

13. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

14. Without racing there is no reason for me to attend goodguys indy. After attending goodguys joliet, i realy cant understand the reason for any of the non racing events to be more than one day.

15. paintcan54

paintcan54

The wife and I will be at the Rebel Run in Lima, Ohio. We have been going to the Rebel Run from 1990 and and will be there in 2011. Is Bowling Green the next one to go? Why just keep one race a year!

16. millersgarage

millersgarage

Geez, all this fuss just because I leaked some coolant in the staging lanes this year....:rolleyes:

well, shit, I will be at the NSRA Nats North in Kalamazoo that weekend, so I will miss Indy in 2011. :(

I won the Magnum Axle Real Hot Rod award last year in my all home built car. Thanks Kirk.

If I can make it there again, I am sure I will miss the ambiance of the drags running all weekend, but all the GG shows I have attended are great, and I am sure the change of venue will be just fine

17. girldriver

girldriver

The 1 1/2 delay is on Sunday when they give out the awards for the show cars.
    The 'back-yard builders'. Are they the ones they call the "Trailer Queens", they only come out of the trailer to be judged.
    If they are dropping drag racing because of money, then let's not blame the rain. I think the race cars are starting to dwindle, just like Super Chevy, because the racers were not treated very nice.

18. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No drags but how about a 'quick lap' shoot out??
    I could just see some cool old banger powered T on a hot lap!

Doc.

19. I for one am glad Goodguys has decided to stick with Indy. They very well could have dropped it.

If you want to go race, then take your race car and your attitude to either Muncie Dragway, Action Dragway in Terre Haute or any one of a number of other tracks in the midwest that weekend. The rest of us will not miss you.

20. dennisk

dennisk
    from Indiana

I'll miss the drag racing but I'm glad that the Good Guys decided to stay in Indy.

21. Daisy Masminster (girldriver) -

Wow! ... You joined the H.A.M.B. just so you could post these two rants? ... Really?

Your statement that: "GG has been trying to get rid of Drag Racing for a number of years" couldn't be further from the truth ... the president of GG's (Marc Meadors) is a drag racer himself (see the GOODGUYS RACING website) ... and GOODGUYS has actually been trying to keep their Vintage Drag Racing program alive even though it hasn't been profitable since they lost the "March Meet" (now run by Famoso Raceway).

You'd really be better served if you would post your rants over on the GOODGUYS Forum ... the H.A.M.B. is all about spreading the gospel of Traditional Hot Rods & Customs ... and definitely not the appropriate place to air your complaints about an organization that isn't even affiliated with the ATOMIC INDUSTRY family of websites:

22. girldriver

girldriver

Sorry, I was just stating my opinion about the subject like everyone else on this page. Just answering a barb flung at me because my thoughts are different than others.
    MercDeuceMan, I like my attitude thank you very much.

23. You have 3 posts so far and all you have done is piss and moan about Indy Goodguys, the new venue (IMS) and now no drag racing.

Get over it. Goodguys did not consult you before hand so it should be obvious they don't care at this point what you think about racing at their event in Indy.

The racing is gone, it isn't coming back to Indy in the forseeable future.

BTW, read the rules on this forum. PLEASE DO AN INTRODUCTION!! You might be a little better received here.

24. girldriver

girldriver

My last post was not about Indy Goodguys, I was pissing and moaning about your attitude when someone else has a different opinion than you.
    I don't care if I am better received here by you. I thought this was a forum for opinions and thoughts, guess not. You have made this forum a joke.
    No opinions people unless they are the same as MercDeuceMan. No free thinkers aloud.
    You will not have to put up with me any more, I'll stay where people are aloud to express their own thoughts, which I though was anywhere U.S.A. but apparently it's not on this forum. Grow up, I already have.

25. AcadianKid

AcadianKid

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  26. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

Jesus Christ! You have no idea how lucky you are over there. Try doing the show circuit for a year in England, then see how much you want to piss and moan about American shows.
    Paul

27. Tacson

Tacson

Thanks for the info Kirk. You will be at Bowling Green next weekend right? Would like to try to meet you in person.

28. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I'm an old guy...I like change...to me, it means new places to drive my car to and new things to see along the way...

I think I'll try to make the GG's Indy event next year...the date is good if it gets the event away from the rain and the mud pit of the old venue.

You can please some of the people all of the time, all of the people some of the time, but you certainly cannot please all of the people all of the time...no matter how hard you try...!!!

R-

29. 55vickie

55vickie

What weekend will GG in Joliet be? It was the date that they IMS is now.

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

So, trying to definitively end the rants.

-Goodguys is not losing the drags for financial reasons or dislike for drags. The current Indy venue lacks a LOT. Goodguys is trying to improve the event for the MAJORITY of the customers. Like was said, the President and employees of Goodguys LOVE DRAG RACING. There are several current and former drag racers on staff, so this was not an easy decision. So saying that "Goodguys has been trying to get out of drag racing for years" is not an opinion, it is about as uninformed a statement as you could make.

-Complaining about "goldchainers" at Goodguys events, saying that they are the only ones who win awards is not expressing your opinion, it's being uninformed. I know EXACTLY who gets picked since I pick a large number of them and photograph and write about (as does Hemi) ALL OF THEM. There are a TON of HAMB-friendly and homebuilt cars that get awards at Goodguys events. Several HAMBers have even chimed in on this thread as winners.

-As for the awards ceremony that you complained about. Again, very uninformed. I have attended Indy for the past seven years and the cars do not hurt the track because they DO NOT DRIVE DOWN THE TRACK. They drive down the return road.

OK, to get back on track. PLEASE POST SUGGESTIONS if you have any about the new venue for Indy. I personally think it will be cool to spend three days at the world's most famous racetrack. No there is no drag racing, and that's a bummer, but making the event better is the goal. To help with that goal, make suggestions.

Someone asked a valid question, it was answered with the truth, let's continue from that point.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010