Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Windshield Cutting in Tennessee

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by R and S HotRods, Oct 3, 2010.

1. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

OK I know you are seeing way too many posts and questions from the new guy, but I am having trouble locating someone who cuts windshields for my chopped 51 Chevy.
    Does anyone know of someone in the middle Tennessee area?
    I've considered trying it myself, but I do not have that skill nor do I desire to have it.......
    Help!

2. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I would like to find someone within a couple hundred miles from Nashville.

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

A friend had a guy in east TN do his 56 Ford about 15 years ago. Sadly my friend has died and I do not have the contact info.

I went there and back with my friend ( about a 1 week turnaround for the glass chop ) but do not remember which little town it was in ( it was a long time ago ) :rolleyes: But the guy who did the cutting was not that old and should be alive ... if he is still doing that type of work. He had a small glass shop at his home and did MOBILE glass repairs

Not much HELP I know but at least it brings the thread back to the top :D :D

4. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I have heard of a guy north of Knoxville, TN. but the number has been disconnected. I can't remember the name of the guy or his shop.

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

That would most likely be the GUY !!

We were above Knoxville ... over to the the right of I-75
    Maybe 75/100 miles from Knoxville. His place overlooked the highway and had a pole building as a shop.

6. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

sounds like the same guy. Now I need to find another.......
    Thanks,

7. aceuh

aceuh

I've got a buddy in White House Tn that had a windshield cut down for a 72 roadster blazer recently. Guy got it right on the first try...I couldn't tell you if he's good or lucky though. I can see if I can come up with a # for ya if you like.

8. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

9. Tacson

Tacson

I just tried the phone number I have for David King in Morristown and it is disconnected... I hadnt talked to him in about 3 years so I am not sure if he is still running his shop or not. I know a guy in Thompson Station he used to cut but he has got out of it completely.

10. primed34

primed34

Try Legens Hot Rods in Martin,Tenn. I doubt it will be cheap.

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

And you need to buy some rubberized tape from 3M . Comes in 24" width , cover completed windshield with it that you need except the area you dont need . take your time back and fourth cut about a 1/4" width and not to get it hot or it will crack takes about a half a hour per side ! All thats left then is cut the clear plastic between the two glasses w/ a razor knive ! And put support under the glass !!

12. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Try Allans Auto Glass in Maryville TN (south of Knoxville). He is a great guy and specializes in older stuff and rods. Never had a windshield done there but call him and I'm sure he's tell you if he's up for it. He did windows and mirrors for my 47 truck recently. I think it's just him and a helper, so leave a message if you don't get him.

13. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

try satandard willson glass in downtown knoxville on jackson ave. great to deal with good prices .

14. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I have condidered to cut it myself, but hate the risk on this car. I talk to Legens in Martin, TN and he said he didn't do it anymore....So I am still looking..

15. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

well 4 more shops contacted and still no Luck!

16. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

When you find one, let me know. You can send a template to vintage glass and they'll cut a two piece for 1000.00. I may have to do that.

17. old lady's mad

old lady's mad

what about kings , in moristown tn.

18. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

I tried to contact King's. Their number is no longer working. I have had issues with vintage glass and thats all I'll say on that matter.

19. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

Call Mid-Southern Restoration in Cookville. There's a glass shop next door to them that cut down my "35" Ford windshield two weeks ago. MSR are good people and will give you a
    phone #.

20. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

Do you have a phone number for MSR?

21. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

931-520-7585 Tell em Phil sent ya.

22. potter142

potter142
    from Tn

Their web address is midsouthernrestorations.com by the way do you know anyone
    with a louver press in Tn?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  23. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

Yes I do. I'll try and look for it this weekend. He is in middle TN.

24. King Glass Co. in Calhoun GA can do anything that can be done with glass.

25. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

It's pretty much fool proof with a sand blaster. The only way you can crack it is if you don't keep the gun moving and make too much heat in one spot.

Just do as TazHog said, keep etching a line along the edge of the tape until you make it through to the laminate in the middle, then flip the glass and do the back side.

Cut the laminate with a razor and polish the edge with a belt sander. Use a "Silicon Carbide" belt and just keep spraying it with a spray bottle filled with water.

Keep the sander moving to make to too much heat in one area (same as above). It's really pretty hard to mess it up.

26. Tacson

Tacson

38Fordpickup will they cut a curved windshield like on a 56 F100? Thanks

27. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

Still Looking for someone to cut my windshield for my chopped 51 chevy.... I am not ready to try this myself....Need help!

28. Tacson

Tacson

R&S I talked to a guy today David King in Morristown has been pretty sick. I asked him for a source that might be able to help you. He told me to tell you to call 770-962-3068 and ask for L.C. Hope you find someone

29. R and S HotRods

R and S HotRods
    from Hell

thx Tacson... Hope Mr. King gets to feeling better.

30. Tacson

Tacson

Hey let me know how it turns out. I have a buddy here in Murfreesboro will need 56 F100 windshields cut. THanks