Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats better holley or edelbrock?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemi guy 53, Oct 8, 2010.

1. slammed49

slammed49

I bought a 600 CFM vac. seconday,electric choke carb from Speedway,bolted on straight from the box...runs excellent!

2. Holley carbs.......And Edelbrock intakes:D

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

HOLLEY vs EDELBROCK :)

I have owned and ran both ... with great results.
    Both are fairly easy to tune and parts are very available should you have a problem.

BUT ... I run the Edlebrock now ... on both my 32 Fords ( with SBC )
    Mainly because they have NO gasoline above a gasket level. They do do leak, they do not weep and do not make a mess. The only down side is the starts ... after the car sits for a few days. Folks say that a electric fuel pump will cure that ... but I prefer to use a mechanical fuel pump ... so I just live with the problem. :rolleyes: I could ( and should ) just drive the 32's more often.

4. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Holley here in so cal..i run two 94s for years on a flathead and never had a problem runs smooth.I like the phrase "out of the box"..isnt anything a challenge anymore,have we got so lazy that to tune,build and learn about your fuel delivery system is obsolete?

5. j1927t53

j1927t53
    from colorado

I ran a 750 edelbrock on my 396 here in Colorado and it never ran right because of the altitude and thin air. I switched to a 600 Edelbrock and it ran great right out of the box. Im in Colorado Springs at about 6500 ft. I think the 600 would work great for you. Never ran a Holly so I cant compare but I've had 5 Edelbrocks that have been very reliable(minus the 750 being to much carb here)

6. Splinter

Splinter

No one has addressed the question of whether he is running an auto or stick tranny-can't get mechanical secondaries on a Edelbreezy, but can on a Holley. Just more fuel for the fire of this debate.

7. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

This debate is as argued as Ford vs. Chevy. I run Holleys. I feel that Edelbrocks are for people who don't understand how a carburetor works. That's just my $.02

8. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

Yea i forgot to mention the alltitude mabey a 600-650 would run better but would it sputter more on the top end? with the cam i have i think this motor makes it power between 2500 and 5500.

9. hemi guy 53

hemi guy 53
    from colorado

p. s. auto trans with 2500 stalll

10. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Having used both breeds, I must state emphaticly, that Hollies make better doorstops.

11. Splinter

Splinter

Dude, run a Holley or an Edelbrock 650. If you were closer, I'd GIVE you whichever you'd prefer...they're both so easy to rebuild, and like Cougars in LA-easy to pick up. Well, that and I've got a buttload of each at the shop.

12. I hear people say Holleys arent good for street driven . Why not? It all depends on what make the Holley is also. They have quite a few. Some suck and some are excellent. I have run both carbs and the Edelbrocks don't have the snap like a Holley. I have at least 70+ carbs of all different makes. Holleys by far are simple to tune and will run forever as long as you use a good fuel filter just like any carb. As far as what size. You can't just use the formula RPM X CID / 3456. Maybe on a small block it may work out but not on other engines. I run an 800 Holley DP on a stock built 400 Pontiac with non ported heads, open plenum manifold the response is wickedly fast. I also use an LM1 wide band O2 gas analizing unit and it shows that the 800 is actually running a bit lean for power. 13.2 . I would think if you are running a bit bigger cam, headers etc I would go with close to 800 CFM. Its a 392 Hemi!!! Hell the Chevy 302 in 1969 had a 750 Holley on it. I have had my Holley 800 on my car for over 10 years and it can sit for 6 months and one pump of the gas and a quick turn of the key and it fires right up and I can fry tires immediately at will. I had an Edelbrock carb and have known at least 5 other people that ran them with terrible results. These are so massed produced now that quality control is gone. And as far as any person saying theres a carb that is just a bolt on and you don't need to adjust it, you don't know carbs or engines. I haven't run one and talk people out of them for the last 8 years. The only way you can control the secondary vacuum door is by modifying the weight that controls it to open and its not the greatest design.
    Here's the throttle response of an 800 CFM Holley when cold. It snaps even faster when warmer.
    http://www.youtube.com/sixt8bird#p/a/u/1/Xuq-3a0AHEU

If you look at the smooth idle at 650 RPM , this is how it is even sitting in 95 degree weather sitting stopped in rush hour traffic, it just purrs until you floor it. It never gets hotter than 175 degrees and does 0-60mph in 3.8 seconds without nitrous, 3.2 seconds with. I guarantee I wouldn't get this response from an Edelbrock. Again, havent touched this carb in 10 years! Who says Holleys arent for the street. Hell the Factories used them for years on 100,000s of thousands of cars.
    Heres another clip of the same car in a movie it was in. As you can see, a Holley even runs good sliding sideways pulling some Gs. The begining of the Movie is not a Comercial, its the movie. I had alot of fun destroying those MT Drag radial tires.
    http://www.youtube.com/sixt8bird#p/a/u/0/6dTfMAH9UL8

After all the throttle on, throttle off, the Holley just settles right back down to an easy 650 idle. Lets see some videos of an Edelbrock in real time throttle on and off , full throttle snaps etc. I just dont see them. I have been in alot of Edelbrock carbed cars and they all seem lazy. If you just want an engine to drive, then maybe the Edelbrocks your ticket but don't think you will have easy starts, or run crisp or perform. Just go to the track and count how many Holleys VS Edelbrocks are there.
    If you go to a car show, you will see alot of shiney cheap Edelbrocks. Hey look at my Carb Bling! LOL! OK I have said my peace. LOL!

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

I disagree completely. I have a buddy here in town who has literally rebuilt, modified and raced 1,000's (over 38 years) of ALL types of carbs from single barrel, 3 deuce, lawn mower, Holley, Demon, Eddy, old style Carter AFB, Rochester, Motorola, etc... you name it, and his Eddy has absolutely NO delay on full throttle snaps. Why? He knows how to tune them and even modify them, just the same as all the Holley guys are doing to get the performance they desire. Out-of-the-box a Holley cannot touch an Edelbrock for ease of installation and ability to drive away without throwing a wrench through the windshield. Race guys KNOW how to tune, the average Joe doesn't. Apples and Oranges. Holleys may have better race and FOT type performance overall, but don't bag on an Edelbrock...they can be tuned and modified to perform just as well. Case in point, my buddy is a tinkerer and tuner and he has a mild cammed 383 Charger tuned SO perfectly that it gets 21 mpg and STILL kicks most stock and slightly modified 440 butts regularly.

Bottom line, if you want to get a BA in tuning a Holley, then THAT is the way to go, otherwise, bolt an Edelbrock on and drive it.

14. I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!!! LOL!

Lots of guys just bolt on Holleys and have no problem with them either. Their design is alot more simple than Edelbrocks with no moving rods, easy to get to jets etc. They have a way better aftermarket resource for a reason, people that like to get every bit of power out of them and each engine is a bit different. There really isn't much to them . Also carbs have always been cool to me and I was rebuilding them since I was 14. My Grandfather actually made carbs in his basement with his lathe and drill presses etc all the way back in the 40s. I have one of them that was made in the 1950s that was set up on an old Ford. It was made out of a Cheeze Whiz bottle, a P -trap from a sink, the main jet is a flat head screw with a tapered hole and a very fine copper tube for the Idle air bleed. Pretty Cool! He worked on everyones cars and had the fastest Street cars in the 40s and 50s. Lots of history. Did the Cheeze Whiz carb work good? Apperently not, his wife got pissed at him for always modifying the family cars and so he shelved it and modified other carbs he had. It was just too small. I have an old modifed AVS of his off of a 383 that was apperently a great hauler. These had a different design than the new ones.
    Anyway, if you just want to bolt up a carb, you better at least learn how to adjust the idle air screws. Holley or Edelbrocks adjust the same way. And each can just be bolted onand at least do the minimal adjustment and have fun. Holleys are better bang for the buck! I just did a google search and it seems that Holleys outscore Edlebrock.

15. Ugh!!! It a frickin Hemi 392!! Dump the CFM and the gas in it and make some power!!
    I laugh at the formula quoters!!

16. Change your mind fast!!!!!!!! Try an 800 DP on that engine of yours, you have gears and you have a stall, don't pusy foot and go the show car shiney POS Edelbrocks!!! Real men run Holleys, pussys run Edelbrocks! LOL!!
    Look at what my car does with an 800 DP. Jetting is stock, and heads are stock. The 800 DP is a match for what you have! Your gears and stall equal DOUBLE PUMPER!!!!!! Thank me after you buy one!

17. Same results I always get!

18. And how do you adjust the vacuum door to open up at a curtain time?

19. OK Colorado changes a few facts. You don't have the atmosphere we have down here. Go with a Tillotsen one barrel carb jetted way down!! LOL!

20. motorhead711

motorhead711

My brother can whip any damn holly carb it seems like and he gets them to run like a top....me on the other hand, I like my edelbrock carb, and it has ran basically maintenece free on my car for 15 plus years...

21. brad chevy

brad chevy

If after the swap you want to work and adjust on it all the time go with the Holly,if you want to drive the thing go with the Edelbrock.

22. Deuces

Deuces

A buddy of mine gave me a brand new one in the box. (List-4780C) after rebuilding his 600 cfm Holley for his small block chevy... Guess we were both happy.. :):D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  23. Racrdad

Racrdad

I had always been a Holley guy, sometimes a frustrated Holley guy but I wasnt having any part of those Edelbrocks. Demon carbs are great, took an existing design and improved it, I highly recommend them based upon experience. However, I didnt want Holleys on my crossram, just wasnt the look I was after. So reluctantly I bought a pair of Edelbrocks. I did get a recommendation on application from an Edelbrock tech. I am thrilled with them, straight outta the box only adjusted the idle screws and they seem to be great. Pretty much a personal preference these days I think.

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is an old saying, something like "There are no bad dogs, only bad dog owners."

I have my own quote, and I realize that I may not be popular for saying it: "There are no bad carburetors, only bad carburetor tuners."

Talking trash about one brand, or another, is either repeating hearsay, or possibly revealing the limitations of your own abilities to tune.

Hot rodding is tuning. Plug and play is for computers.

School up, tool up, or give up.

25. Fenders

Fenders

Holley for a hot rod....
    Edelbrock for a street rod.

26. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I personally have gotten better performance (bracket racing) out of a Holley but I like both of them ,actually I even like the quadrajet.I would have to study the Edelbrock again but you should be able to set or adjust the bowl vents on them so they would not dry up after settin awhile.I mean if they are not leaking in the intake ,and the Edelbrock can not , it must be evaportating and that should be able to be fixed.After all we are Hot Rodders ,this is what we do ,right ??

27. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

I've had both on numerous cars over the years. Always felt I got better performance from the Holley, especially the double pumpers. Got better economy from a Q-jet. I have three cars now, all have 600 cfm Edelbrocks which I feel gives me the best all around driveability.

28. 73RR

73RR

My experience with 392's is to use a 750-780 (#3310) on a slightly modified oem iron intake. Lots of power and the cfm rating is very forgiving on 400 inches of Hemi. On serious street engines we move up to something like an 850 and have even used a 1150 Dom.

The key is to use what you like, what has worked in the past and what you can afford all balanced by what the rest of the engine needs.

29. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I find that you need to "know" how to tune the carb. :eek: And the Edelbrocks are infinitely tuneable. You just have to learn how to do it.

yep

I find your response to show your ignorance of how to tune them. :eek: The AFB style carb has been around a long time and are just as adjustable as any other carb. I see just as many idiots treat Holley's as "if it doesn't bolt on and run right it's abad carb"

that's the key, knowing how to tune them, all the info is actually available for those with the notion to learn.

aweome, I will quote you on that.

I prefer the quadrajet, just the limitation of intakes keeps me from using them. i think they are the best street carb.

30. I have always used Holley since the 60's. They're easy to work on and very reliable.Like any carburetor if your not familiar with how to work and how to adapt them to your particular application the result will be less than ideal. If you do your homework I think that Holley can be tuned to suite almost any situation whether it be street or race.