Register now to get rid of these ads!

Let's play "what is this"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Oct 8, 2010.

1. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

block heater, keeps the coolant nice and warm to keep the block warm, so when it's 30 below, the car will start

2. 12905

Except those things ain't frost plugs - common mistake. They are casting plugs and just happen to help the dummy in a cold climate avoid cracking his engine block if he's too late adding anitfreeze. I once made a hell of a buy on a 41 Buick Super convertible that belonged to a university student who was a "foreigner" from Tennessee. One night the temp suddenly dropped to 30 below and the cooling water failed to stay liquid to his considerable surprise. Head, block and radiator a dead loss.

3. I was in Anchorage Alaska in the 60 and all of the parking places in town had an electrical outlet to plug in while parked.

4. bonebroke

bonebroke
    from WI.

who knows! plug it in and see what happens! good luck.

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

gm's first electric car designed by obama, with help from the sierra club

6. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

You quoted me, but I never mentioned frost. I said freeze plugs and that's what we called them. As they hopefully get pushed out as things begin to freeze up and give more room for the water expansion and avoiding some of the problems you mentioned.:cool:.

7. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

THIS is a Canadian block heater....

Attached Files:

8. Eh?:p

9. Deuces

Deuces

Those were a factory option... I had one in a '69 Camaro I once owned. I still have the cord that it came with... It did work great during them cold ass mornings.... I think you can still buy those from GM...

10. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

I think it's the source of global warming, good thing you disconnected it.

11. lorodz

lorodz

flux capacitor...lol.block warmer plug it in at night when cold after use so block wouldnt freeze over night

12. 51 Leadsled

51 Leadsled
    from NC

The first hybrid?

Reminds me of an electric hammer.

13. Up here in Wisconsin we just park next to a current bush and plug it in.
    Actually my new Ranger pickup came with one - it's not even an option. All trucks sold up here get them.

14. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It's an early hybrid engine from back in the green days of the Carter administration. It didn't catch on too well because of the distance limitations of the extension cords.

15. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Busted. I wonder what the hell the point of this ridiculous post was.

16. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Wow block heater...that'll come in handy when it gets down to 33-34 degrees this winter for a few days. The history of the car is even stranger. I bought it from a guy who drove it up from the Rio Grande Valley and kinda thought it might be a heater but I've never seen one. How do I take it off? Is it a freeze plug that has to be pryed out? Maybe it's better left alone huh? Suddenly I have flash backs of scenes from the movie "Alien"...you know the guy with the thing on his face that looks like some kinda crab or spider. Wow where is Sigorney Weaver when you need her?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  17. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

If it doesnt leak then youre probably fine leaving it, if you are doing engine work then id take it out. That center bolt will loosen and then you should be able to just pop it out with a screwdriver or prybar. The ones ive dealt with have a rubber o-ring around them as a seal (rather than a press fit like a normal frost plug), and they are only tightened to like 20-30 inch pounds so it should come out pretty easily.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010