Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy racing.....RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Oct 7, 2010.

1. PostwarModernist

PostwarModernist

show has been rained out almost every year i can remember. should be better off at IMS. now if only they'd bring down prices......

2. Another good reason: Bubba's Hot Rod Shop is right accross the street.... :D

3. deadendcruiser

deadendcruiser

G.G. is done with blue suede? That sucks! Maybe now all the "hardcore" rodders will get their free cookout back :rolleyes:
    Thanks for keeping us in the loop Kirk.

4. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I am sad but happy! I will miss driving by IRP the week of and seeing the place transform into the Good Guys show since I live just down the street. I will miss the drags, and just the tradition of going to IRP. But.....I am happy for the change, it may bring back some vendors, people, and cars. Maybe we will start to see the bad ass muscle cars we see in columbus on the auto cross. No doubt IMS is a great place and as others have said it is a place that just makes you think about the history if you have the least little bit of respect for what it is. I remember going to swap meets there as a little kid before it moved to the fairgrounds.

Just glad we still have a Good Guys event in Indy! Give us the dates, and I will see you there!

5. yngrodder

yngrodder

I have been the last few years and only remember it being RAINED OUT once, You just have to Tough it out and get a little wet :)

6. IMS is a great facility,back in the late 70's an early 80's Car Craft Mag use to have the Street Machines Nats there should be good fun.

7. 2002p51

2002p51

I agree with this 110%.

My company sends me to a trade show in Indy every spring and we always go a day early so we can go to IMS and take the track tour and check out the museum. The place is awesome and you can feel the history in the air.

To have a Goodguys event there would be the perfect combination of two of my favorite things in the world; racing history and hot rods.

What's not to like?

8. No Cents

No Cents

Rip, GG @ irp.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  9. 61falcon

61falcon

for what its worth, if anyone is on facebook. goodguys has a facebook page, so you can and express for feelings about moving to the speedway and the canceling of blue suede cruise. just sayin, for those interested.

10. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

I guess change is inevitable and I understand the move from IRP to the Brickyard. However, I really hope that the miserable bunch of old geezers that are in charge of things while the GG's cruise their cars around the hallowed 2 1/2 mile track loosen up more than a little. I've been on several of those trips around the track, and,in fact, was so amped up at the first time that I nearly exploded with anticipation. Then when we were allowed out on the track, the band of geezers all dressed up in their red coats and white pants that were assigned to keep order amongst all of us hot rodders did everything they could to ensure that a good time could not be had!

I MUCH prefer the way Charlotte Motor Speedway handles their tours around the track. They just seem to want you to have fun. I love it.

I'm hoping that the move will be beneficial for GG's and its members. I also hope that the attitude of the Brickyard staff loosens up substantially. We are going to be there not only to have a good time, but to respect the traditions of the Brickyard and all those that have raced there in the past. We don't need a bunch of rule Nazis watching our every move.

Just my 2 cents worth.

11. 2002p51

2002p51

What did they do?

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep, and a forum at www.googuydforum.com.

It's the perfect place to ask questions or make suggestions.

13. Chuck R

Chuck R

IMS will be cool, it should be an incredible venue.
    chuck

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

I have to agree that IMS is VERY strict when it comes to cruising the track. We'll try to loosen them up.

15. todd47chev

todd47chev

The Street Machine Nationals was held at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and not at IMS. My dad went to them until they got kicked out of Indy in 1980. They did have a swap meet at IMS until they moved it to the Marion County Fairgrounds.

Sorry I was just corrected. The Car Craft Nationals was held at the State fairgrounds but they did let the cars go over to the IMS and make a lap around the track during the event.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

The event would ideally be in September.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  17. girldriver

girldriver

Why would I go to IMS. You can't race a car there. I been racing at IRP then ORP since 1986, it has not rained more than it has rained. I won the GG event at Indy the year that 3 girls won their 3 top classes, that's never happened before. In my opinion, GG has been trying to get rid of Drag Racing for a number of years. I can remember the year they had to limit the number of race cars because their was not enough room in the pits. But then they got all the race up into staging and let us sit for 1 1/2 hours in the heat and sun while they let the show cars drive down the track dropping their water from the A/C and oil leaks. What race car driver would not get upset.
    Well, they are going to miss us when the back yard builder of that show car gets completely fed-up with all the Mfg. built cars that seem to win all the time.
    I am not going to get to upset, their are enough drag strips that still want us.
    I hope it rains at IMS every year from now on. I'm not pissed off any thing, can you tell.

18. brad chevy

brad chevy

Well said girldriver,GG is out for the $$$ and its shows at all their events.If they can"t make killer profits in the area they pull out alltogether with lame ass excuses .

19. Piss & Moan, Piss & Moan, it is what it is and was explained. Grow up and get over it, you don't want to go, only effects you, the rest will have a good time. Awful lot of whinner's.

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, stupid company that needs to not lose money and also pay its employees. Where's the lame excuse here?

21. 2002p51

2002p51

And that would probably make Ryan happier too! ;)

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

Actually it has rained every year for the past seven years.

When is this 1 1/2 hour wait? Do you mean when the top fuel cars oil down the track every other run?

The comment about backyard builders is extremely uninformed. Have been to a Goodguys show in the past six years? Yes, high-dollar cars win, but there are FAR more homebuilt and "average Joe" cars that win awards. How do I know? I pick them!

23. man, you mean i gotta wait until september now SIGH

24. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, but hopefully that means no rain! :D

25. pastlane

pastlane

Seeing as how there will be no racing maybe we could get together for a round of golf?

26. 32flames

32flames

Shame but you keep stepping on other events in the midwest, the Blue Suede last year was on top of the Woodward Dream Cruise now the move at Indy is on top of the NSRA Northern Nats in Kalamazoo. Use to make Columbus, Indy and Blue Suede so now looks like just Columbus. Sorry but I really like all the Drag Racing and will miss it. I understand the business decisions but us old guys like stability and sure looks like your schedule is not so stable in 2011

27. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

The date kinda stinks.....but what do you do? That weekend is the weekend for our annual Hoosier fall swap meet at Marion County that allot of the local hot rodders like to attend and set up at.

This is the swap meet that used to be at the track. It would be great to see them combined and have the swap back at the track since it like Goodguys at IRP had been slowly dwindling.

28. Plowboy

Plowboy

I am not sure I like the new date at all. Looks like I am going to try and find something else to do in June now.

This will probably help the road rocket show more than anything, since it will be the only show in Indy in June.

29. Oldmanolds

Oldmanolds

Where is this information coming from?

30. KIRK!

KIRK!

Me.