Register now to get rid of these ads!

Good rear mounted tank for a '57 Chevy Truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BulldawgMusclecars, Oct 7, 2010.

1. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

I have heard of using 65-73 Mustang tanks, but would like to see/hear about other tanks that you may have used in this application, especailly any later model ones that may be readily available from the salvage yard, or as a repro. Thanks for your help!

2. squirrel

squirrel

there was a thread about this a week or two ago?

I suggested blazer/suburbans from the 70s-80s because they have the same width frame, and the tank is in the back.

But I have the stock tank in the stock location on my late 50s trucks

3. 68-72 Nova/clones tanks work well, mite have to notch rear bed cross-sill a bit, hide it with a flip-down licence plate.

4. squirrel

squirrel

51 chevy truck frame is quite a bit wider in back than a 57

5. BulldawgMusclecars

BulldawgMusclecars

Yeah, I saw that one and a few others, but was hoping for something with some pics....all I have found pics of so far are the Mustang tanks. I had heard about using the Nova/Camaro tank someplace, but again, no pics. I was hoping to have something worked out when the truck gets here, but looks like I will be doing some measuring once it gets here. The truck does have a hitch, too, so this could get interesting.

I wouldn't hesitate to leave the tank where is is, but the customer is very tall, and would like the extra leg room, and its getting a non-HAMB friendly EFI engine. Fuel leaks at 60psi are no fun!

6. squirrel

squirrel

Moving the tank won't add any leg room, unless you put the seat backrest straight up, then it will be too uncomfortable to drive. might try finding a bench seat from a 90s chevy truck, they have a pretty thin backrest.

87-91 surburbans are fuel injected and have the right frame width. The frame might need to be trimmed a bit to fit.

I am thinking about putting an 86 suburban tank in the back of my 57 one ton just to get the 40 gal capacity. Haven't got there yet, but I have a plan...includes putting the Suburban rear frame crossmembers into the older frame, using the stock straps etc.

7. bjf08816

bjf08816

60s-70s Suburban

8. I build my own tanks- use 16g steel and if you can have the parts sheared and bent than just weld it up- I pressurize the tank with 10-20 psi and spray soapy water to check for leaks. I have mig welded in the past but gas or tig would prob give a nicer edges. Or LMC Truck sells alum or steel, also Speedway sells 'em.

9. I'm looking at a 67-69 Camaro tank for my '46 truck. Might work for you, too. I've seen new stainless tanks for $239. I'll try to post teh source when I get home.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep

I've always used the early 70's blazer tanks. made a frame from 1x1. Fits right and everything works right (tank sending unit)

11. i fitted a mustang tank in my friends 57 chev pu removed the rear cross member flipped it over when it was reinstalled had to grind the lower edge straight made two hard wood strips that followed the curve on the frame and flat on the tank mounting side and bolted it in place then used two sending units one ford to fit the tank removed the sending unit with the float and added the sending from the chev unit so that the stock gauge worked there must be a gm tank that fits better.