Register now to get rid of these ads!

Goodguys Indy racing.....RIP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by boogeracng, Oct 7, 2010.

1. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

I heard earlier today from an ORP insider that Goodguys has moved the Indy event to IMS....no racing at ORP in 2011. Along with the departure from Norwalk and Blue Suede, only thing left (at this point) might be Bowling Green. Any bets that will be gone too?

Adios Goodguys vintage racing.........

2. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

that sucks!

KIRK! what the hell? All the positive comments about racing and now it is dropped?

give us the scoop

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Edited until next week. I'll repost the official info then.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

What or where is IMS?:confused:

5. rick finch

rick finch

The Brickyard.

6. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Brickyard YEAH HAPPY HAPPY JOY JOY JOY

7. KIRK!

KIRK!

Indianapolis Motor Speedway

Of course, one of the most historical auto-related sites on the planet. Look for Goodguys to include things like legends of racing and historical cars.

8. baby loves chrome

baby loves chrome

Let's not bash it too bad! It just might be a big hit and it's better than not having a show at all in Indy. See you at the Brickyard!
    I can't wait for change of taste. Yeah! Just maybe we can all cruise around the brickyard. Is that the track cruise now Kirk? What is the date for 2011?

9. FalconEddie1964

FalconEddie1964

I've been to every GG event at IRP/ORP but it's doubtful that I will continue to attend. It's a shame to break a 22 year run and I know that my $30 nothing much in the grand scheme of things. I've went to the Speeday religiously in the past for TT and occasionally the race but after what George did to Indy car racing, I personally will have a real problem going to IMS. Also the camping accross from IRP was a big part of the weekend, will that continue or is that a bust also. It seems a shame that here we could possibly go form attending three or four GG events a year to possibly none. I had heard that Norwalk was going to host a nostalgia event for the gassers and the super stockers. I certianly hope so. I had just met Mr. Bobwop last year @ Indy and looked forward to seeing him again.

10. 3in1

3in1
    from nevada tx

Kirk I would hope no streeters would ever cruise the bricks after all thats a hallowed place .I still cringe at stockers making laps but thats just me .

11. KIRK!

KIRK!

I'd guess, there will be a track cruise.

I don't know the date off the top of my head. I'll post it when the schedule is official.

12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

look for joliet gg to be gone shortly.

13. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i started going to indy when it was 1000-1200 cars, the drag racing ,show and used to be friday night sprints, made it worth the trek from texas, i am not sure if i will going back for another speedway show, i can do that here.

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Why? Joliet is a successful event. What does Joliet have to do with the contract expiring at Indy?

15. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Kirk, is Norwalk done for sure??

Jon

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

The new Goodguys schedule will officially be out in about two weeks. I'll post it as soon as I get it.

17. Keep us posted......

18. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

Kirk, do you see this as a sign of the times as far as economy taking its toll or just a change in more people just into the car show scene and it cant support both at an event at a dragstrip? I mean a track rental has to be more expensive then just renting the grounds to put on a car show because of insurance and other type of things that go along with a racing event.

Jon

19. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I really like IMS. Cool place with an awesome museum that a person could spend hours in. I for one am really looking forward to the change of venue.

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Edited until next week. I'll repost the official info then.

21. Ebert

Ebert

I must admit as an attendee at a gazillion GG events at ORP/IRP, I have had some great times there..great drags, etc. Yes, I have been wet from downpours as well.

However, this is a GREAT opportunity to walk and interact on the grounds of the oldest race track and facility in the U.S.!!!!

You guys know I am an IndyCar guy..I am guilty as charged. I still get goosebumps when I go through the tunnel...it is just magic when you think of all of the history, all of those brave souls who gave their lives there in the pursuit of speed and a drink of millk...

To have the Goodguys event here is a PRIVILEDGE....attendees can do a track tour, visit the AWESOME on-site museum, go auto-crossing and just take in the whole AMAZING place like never before. Sorry to the people at ORP, but no damn comparison!!!!!

Not to be too sappy, but this is a monumental event at IMS and Goodguys! Let's have a helluva time!!!!! I know that there are a helluva lot of IndyCar team guys who are Goodguys members who cannot wait to go there and "show off" the beauty and resonance of the BRICKYARD!

22. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

I agree. The Indianapolis Motor Speedway will be an AWESOME place for the show. An amazing historical facility with a fantastic museum, beautiful grounds and just a goose bump kind of feel overall.

30 years ago, we used to attend the big swap meet and car show inside IMS. It was a great place for a show and I still miss that show every year (and yes my street cars have been on the hallowed track...)

Goodguys event at IMS? Perfect.

Will miss the drags, but will attend other events to make up for it!

Cool move Kirk!!!

23. yngrodder

yngrodder

I would love to see Vintage race cars running around the track through out the weekend !!!

24. slammed58buick

slammed58buick

Wow! This change will make me go back to Indy. I went for 8 years straight and in 2008 when the event was rained out on Saturday, I swore I would never go back (said that 2 or 3 years in a row, but actually held up that statement the last 2 years). However, in light of a new facility and a possible new date, I will definitely go back now. Thank you Goodguys!

25. wkends

wkends
    from Kentucky

I'm in just give me the date! Maybe they can have the swap meet on asphalt not in the mud.

26. fbama73

fbama73

Kirk, this might be the opportunity to bring back the model and pedal car contest at Indy.

27. paintcan54

paintcan54

I live in Indy grow up 2 miles from the track, got married and lived 3 blocks north of the track, for about 4 years sold the house and moved to the north side of Indy, to get away from the place. I have only been in there maybe 5 times in my life, I like ORP better and the drags. I guess if I want to watch the drags I'll have to go to Bowling Green.

28. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Here is a 2007 photo ( courtsey of Street Rodder Magazine ) of the 75th Anniversary of the 1932 Ford cruise of the " Brickyard " sponsored by GoodGuys.

[​IMG]

The black Roadster on the front row is mine :D :D
    There was over 150 Deuces that day ... cruising the bricks :eek: :eek:

The wife and I enjoyed the event ( 2007 ) and I would go back to INDY in 2011 ... now that the event is at the Brickyard. Hopefully, GG can get a better weekend ( no rain ) ... the drag strip was not as good a facility as the Brickyard ( in my opinion ).

29. Ha, and I was planning on racing at indy next year, go figure!

30. ill be there ive only been near the brickyard once when i was like 6 or 7 when it was closed i barely remember it
    i dont really care for IRP or whatever its called now its too spread out