Register now to get rid of these ads!

I wanna see pics of brush painted cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Any more? Wasn't Jake's tub painted with a brush??

2. -Brent-

-Brent-

I'll have pics once mine is painted. I'm going to get started on it this weekend.

3. yes at a nsra event in like 87 i think

4. olskool34

olskool34

My 29 coupe was painted with a brush long ago, I will get some pics up of it. Also going to paint my new 29 tudor with a brush.

5. olskool34

olskool34

Also, my 36 truck was painted with a brush, I will dig up pics of that too.

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Back around 1973, a buddy of mine bought
    his first vehicle - a beat up, '57 Ford 1/2 ton
    'farm truck' that somebody had painted with
    green latex house paint and a roller!:eek: Being
    perfectionists though,:)D) we fixed that quick
    enough. We gave it a quick sanding to get rid
    of most of the roller marks and then 'rattle-can'
    spayed it Rustoleum black!:eek::eek:

Mart3406
    ============================

7. 32Rules

32Rules

Car is not brushed but scallops are.
    Long time ago.
    [​IMG]

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Some really great info. That Craftmaster Paints seems like the ticket. I am trying to find a paint swatch page where I can see what they have. I'd like to do my '33 in dark chocolate brown or a deep maroon like I said.

I love the whole idea of brush painting an old hot rod. I feel like it's a connection with the car or dare I say romanticized way of doing things. It's just like using old tools to build the car. Much like the guys that did the Pete Henderson roadster. I read in their article in TRJ that they use only the tool that were available in the day to build and restore their cars. So it seems perfect especially for those building a pre 1955 Hot rod to brush paint their car is they want the look and feel.

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome avatar Saxon.

10. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

11. plan9

plan9

just like the 50s, bro.

[​IMG]

12. Dchaz

Dchaz

seems like i remember a tech article a couple years ago about using a roller and brush on a falcon (?). But I dont remember what mag it was in.

13. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I remember there was a link about a guy doing a corvair......

14. Actually ... it was painted at the '87 Goodguys West Coast Nats in Pleasanton:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    image by Kevin Lee (R&C Lee)

[​IMG]

... not sure exactly when Jim (& Tony Thacker) added the "HRM decoupage" (aka "Jakeoupage"):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  15. well atleast i was right on the year:D

Last edited: Oct 7, 2010
  16. took me forever to find it... but its on post 46. or you can search 50 dollar paint job that ryan posted a few years ago

17. selohssa

selohssa

This one was brushed many years ago. It looks like it had a nice red paint job at one time.

IMG_1626.jpg

18. Brush painted cars is not for everbody but there is no denying that it ain't traditional! HRP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

cool thread, not what i expected when i read the title.

20. A lot of us old curmudgeons remember the flower power painted cars and buses of the 60's. HRP

[​IMG]

bengeltiger likes this.
  21. primus2010

primus2010

I did some experimenting with it last year sometime, but instead of a traditional brush I went with a foam brush, the cheapies from the dollar store. I believe there is an issue of Car Craft from a year or two back where they did a brush job on a falcon.....white with red scallops and it looked really good when it was done.

I couldn't tell much difference between the two doors, I did the passenger door with a gun, and used foam brushes on the driver door pictured here:

[​IMG]

I also used a foam brush to paint the dash board, which ended up with a few thick spots, but overall I liked how it came out

[​IMG]

:Edit: I found the link to the Falcon, it was Hot Rod, not Car Craft that did it, here is the link : http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0707_1962_ford_falcon_budget_paint_job/index.html

22. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Did you, perchance, get that car from New Jersey?

23. johnnyboy76

johnnyboy76
    from Sparta, WI

haha, i stood about where this pic was taken with my cousin (Mike Smith owner of california hot rods) and watched this all transpire. my uncle, is an old friend of jakes from back in the early times days. he's painting in the right front corner of the top pic.
    johnny

24. FORD3W

FORD3W
    from australia

Mine is also brush painted.

Attached Files:

25. olskool34

olskool34

Here is a pic of mine. Brush painted in the early 50's. Tudor will aslo get brush painted.

[​IMG]

ROCKER77 likes this.
  26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

My brother and I acquired our grandpa's Model A about 1948. Brushed on new paint, two-tone blue. It was like that until '95 when it was restored back to the original Black Lacquer. It's still in the family.
    Our Mom with our '29.jpg

I'm doing body work on my '29 Pickup, rock chips and such, a fender/panel at a time, will brush on new paint as I go.

27. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

I remember seeing an article in one of the restorer mags about an old guy from the south, restored concourse quality antique cars in a shabby little shop. His restorations were oil base paint, painted by brush. Won best of show at AACA meets. Of course he really knew how to do it.
    I worked in a paint plant in quality control lab and we tested paint for flow for brush on paints.

28. I love that T... perfectly done and I saw a photo of Jay Leno admiring it as well!

My roadster had some hand painted panels on it from 50+ years ago...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1110149&d=1286344449
    I learned from my Sign painting uncle that "Penetrol" would flatten out all the brush marks and reduces runs and I'm trying to get all his photo's af all the commercial vehicles he's painted over 70 years of his 86 years on earth.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  29. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Yes, back in July..........