Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gmc Bubba dizzy on my flathead!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shainerman, Oct 7, 2010.

1. shainerman

shainerman

All I can say is HOLY SHIT!!! This is the best thing to ever happen to my car. It feels like a completely different engine. HUGE thanks to Petejoe for helping a fellow hot rodder out, guys like you are the reason this hobby is the greatest thing on earth. HUGE thanks to GMC Bubba for making such a kick ass product. It installed almost effortlessly (had to shave off about a millimeter of metal on the shaft to fit) and fits great. Last but not least, a MEGA HUGE thanks to Ryan for making this site possible. I have learned more from signing up on the HAMB than years of trial and error before. I am proud to be part of such a great community of guys and humbled to be in the presence of so many greats.

2. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

3. shainerman

shainerman

never was till I met you <3 <3 <3:eek:

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Improved (or in the case of most '49-56 Fords, even functional) advance curve is just about the most noticeable speed secret there is...way ahead of bolting on finned aluminum stuff.

5. 36tbird

36tbird

Yeah, but Bruce, nobody looks at the distributor on a flathead! They look at all the bolted on "finned aluminum stuff.";)

6. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

What was it you put on? Was it the converted HEI-to-8BA flathead dizzy, or converted Mallory maybe? You can't say how great it is without anything to back it up.

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I agree I have his converted chevy dizzy and it makes my flatty actually move.
    I was so impressed I sent him a duel point Mallory with tach drive made for a chevy I picked up at a swap meet, but it goes so well with the first one I am reluctant to change it.

[​IMG]

8. shainerman

shainerman

haha, agreed AJ, it was just his basic sbc converted to flathead dizzy, non HEI. Bruce is right, it literally got me 1000 more rpms out of every gear, unreal difference. Not necessarily flat out faster, but revs furthur in each gear and pulls stronger throughout. It no longer feels like its playing catch-up with itself if that makes sense. Ill go snap a real quick picture.

9. shainerman

shainerman

10. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I believe it. Just about any distributor is better the stock flathead. The stock 8ba is a vacuum/retard, just about every dizzy before & after is a vacuum/advance (I've been told). Vacuum/retard --that tells you something right there.

B'Jack, I have the same Chevy Mallory w/tach drive convert, I can't wait to use in in my T race car. I've been following your blog, I look forward to seeing your T painted ('cause I'm building something similar.)

11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

He did my crab on the coupe... and it rules...

12. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've used several and installed some in customer motors and the converted Chevy dizzy is the deal. Flathead never ran better.

13. Can he do a 59BA distributor, and still make it look 100% original(not necessarily stock, period correct aftermarket would be fine) on the outside? I believe this is the dist. they call a "Crab style"?

14. shainerman

shainerman

Thats what kind of dizzy Ryan has he was talking about. It seems like he can do anything and do it better than anyone

15. Ole don

Ole don

Off topiic, GMC Bubba did a Y block dizzy for me earlier this spring, the car went 128.3 in the 130 club on the salt. Good sparks at the right time helped. Thanks!

16. voodoochili

voodoochili

Bubba rocks the ignition!!!

17. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

My bloody paint guy promised me a quick turnaround but has had the car for 4 weeks now. I am having with drawl symptoms from not having anything to work on and had to miss the East West reliability run!
    Every week I have phoned and he all ways needs a couple more days :rolleyes:

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Glad it arrived in one piece Shane. Even happier to see another tried and true flatheaded ford guy. Great that it really set it straight.
    Now,
    I'd like to race you with my 8BA which has the original distributor and a split vacuum line off the two Holley 94's to the stock advance unit. HA! Always a smartass in the crowd.
    Take care Shane! Good for you.

19. shainerman

shainerman

whenever we cross paths, Ill be sure to have the tires warmed up and line em up!

20. badsix

badsix
    from oregon

how does one get in touch with this gmc bubba, thanks

21. Slick Steve

Slick Steve
    from Indy

22. ventilo

ventilo

Bubba's GM dizzy and the new British Stromberg 97 were the best thing I ever did to the French flathead in my '37 Ford.
    I can now drive around all roundabouts in town without shifting downwards from 3rd gear.

23. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

He is a Member here PM him.

24. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I have a dual point mallory that Jim did for me. Best bucks I spent on that motor.
    I've been to his shop. He went WAAYYYY outta his way to do me a favor a couple years back.
    Jim is a class act.
    I wish there were a lot more guys like him.

25. walls

walls

maybe i'm confusing the dual point mallorys with something else but, can you still get points and condenser for these?

26. shainerman

shainerman

Yes you can walls. Most will tell you to get Echlin products and I agree. I dropped in a brand new Mallory dual point the day before Rust Revival this year, made it about 100 miles and POW! That was that. I consider them a good core, but not a ready to run part. I believe the condensor is an Echlin IH 200 and not sure on the points.

27. When did the Mallory Dual Point hit the market?