Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mert Littlefield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NITROFC, Sep 20, 2010.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I just received a email that Mert Litlefield passes away last nite in his sleep. I am at a loss for words on losing a good friend & racer.

Lee and family our thoughts and prayers are with you

RIP . Mert ....You will be missed by all

2. Bummer. RIP. Mert.

3. FormerFueler

FormerFueler

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

5. Very sorry to hear that. I had him build a 6-71 for the Anglia about 10 years ago and was a great guy to deal with. Couldn't be more helpful and nice to a guy off the street.
    RIP, Godspeed

6. Excellent way to leave. RIP Mr. Littlefield.

7. Mr. Jean

Mr. Jean

Rest in peace Mert.

8. Abone29

Abone29

Another icon gone,R.I.P.

9. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I got the call this morning too. Thanks Mert for making so many people go faster. Deepest condolences to Brad, family and friends.

10. rick finch

rick finch

R.I.P. Mert.......:(

11. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Former nitro and alcohol Funny Car racer and noted supercharger manufacturer Mert Littlefield died Sept. 20. He was 66.

Littlefield, whose superchargers were key components in the breaking of several NHRA performance barriers, including the first four-second and 300-mph Funny Car passes (Chuck Etchells and Jim Epler, respectively) and the first five-second alcohol Funny Car pass (Bob Newberry) and who was at the forefront of the high-helix supercharger technology, also was a national-event winning driver of his own cars, all of which he also tuned.

Littlefield began his racing career in bracket cars in the 1960s but made the leap to the big time in a nitro Funny Car in 1970 with the Rapid Transit Dart before teaming with Marty Sublett and later Richard Bays in a successful nitro-racing career that ran through 1984, during which time Littlefield also won an NHRA Division 7 event and had the honor of recording the first five-second Funny Car pass at fabled Orange County Int’l Raceway.

Littlefield left the cockpit for a number of years and worked with former world champ Billy Williams before returning to driving in the alcohol ranks from 1992 through the end of 2006. He won the NHRA Northwest Nationals in 2002 and the IHRA national event in Norwalk in 1996, collected three NHRA divisional wins, and twice was runner-up for the Division 7 championship, in 1994 and 2002. After leaving the cockpit, Littlefield tuned for hired drivers Kirk Kuhns and Bret Williamson in 2007.

He is survived by his wife, Lee; son Brad; and daughter Kasey. Funeral services are pending.

[​IMG]

12. Hate to hear that Al My heart goes out to the Family an to you for the loss of your friend.R.I.P Mert an hope to see you soon Al.

13. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Thanks to Vic Miller for some pics of Mert rides .............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ProStockJunkie

ProStockJunkie
    from New Jersey

I'm sorry to hear this. I copied your post, crediting you, and posted this on Facebook. There are a lot of racers there.... young and old.

15. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

He left us much too early..... 66 yrs young....

I recently picked up a Littlefield blower which requires rebuilding for our next project..... R.I.P.

16. Went the same way my Dad did. That's how the good guys move on. RIP Mert.

17. My thoughts and prayers go out to the Littlefield family and friends.
    Godspeed Mert.

[​IMG]

18. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

R.I.P to many car guys leaving to young

19. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

MERT LITTLEFIELD MEMORIAL SERVICES ANNOUNCED

Anaheim, CA – The family of NHRA Funny Car racer and Supercharger manufacture Mert Littlefield have announced that a “Party for Mert” will be held on Saturday October 2nd, 2010 at 6pm at the open warehouse next to the Littlefield Superchargers location in Anaheim, Calif.

In honoring the wishes of Mert, an outstanding contributor to the motorsports and high performance parts community for over 40 years, the family will host a party rather than a traditional service as they celebrate the life of Mert Littlefield. Friends, family, racers, and river rats are all invited to celebrate Mert's life over BBQ, music, and adult beverages.

This event will be held at 1110 E Kimberly Ave. in Anaheim, California 92801.

The Littlefield Family requests, in lieu of flowers, donations should be sent to Racers for Christ to help them continue their support of the racing community.

Donations can be sent to:

Racers For Christ
    P.O. Box 1208
    Gilbert, AZ 85299-1208

20. Very sad news, that's far too young. RIP Mert. We used many of Mert's 14-71's, over the years. Sincere conolences to the family.

21. I did not see this till today. I have a Littlefield that he built for my 32. Great guy to deal with and a great loss to Motorsports. God's blessings and strength to his Family during this time of great loss. RIP Mert

22. Offy 220

Offy 220

Just like Paul, I didn't see this until today. Back in the late 70's through the 80's I worked at a Detroit Diesel / Caterpillar dealership. When I worked in the shop [later years I worked Field Service] at the "Cylinder head - Blower bench" I would save used blower rotors, housings, end plates and hardware for Mert.

He would come in at least once a month buy seal and bearing kits. On his way out, he would stop by and see me. He would salvage the used parts, he would cut rotors and housings and build bigger blowers. Always a friendly person, even would give me passes to see him run at OCIR. Those were the days! God bless Mert and his family, RIP.

23. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

RIP Great guy, He let me borrow a lenco in Vegas, and was always nice to the little guy. Roger