Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vapor Lock or Fuel Pump? 8ba Flathead 6 Volt Mechanical Pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordMan53, Oct 4, 2010.

1. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

Over the past two weeks my car has stalled out due to lack of fuel. The first two times it was very hot, around 95 to over 100 degrees. The third time was around 85 to 90.

I am running a Holley 4 bbl on an Offy intake, with a mechanical fuel pump.

My question: Is it vapor lock, if so how to deal with it. or Is it the fuel pump? Have been told a fuel pump doesn't hit and miss, that they just go.

Please help.

Thx

2. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

If there is fuel pressure We can assume the pump is working OK
    A fuel pump can only pump liquid, so if there is a blockage [ on the suction side ] it would create vapor lock symptoms
    Check the pickup is clear, and there is an adequate diameter fuel line to the pump.
    Check the tank is breathing enough to allow fuel flow.

I once had a tank with a blocked breather, the pump worked so well that it "diaphramed" the tank, when the tank "sprang back" at low pump pressure [ idle ] there was a huge air lock in the fuel lines [ it took ages to discover this, and cold starting was a nightmare in the morning ]
    Removing the gas cap was the roadside fix.[ try this before you spend any $$$ ]
    Pumps are always more efficient at pushing than sucking, remember this if you're ever re-plumbing

3. canman

canman

+1 There has to be atmospheric pressure in the tank to keep the fuel moving.

4. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal