Register now to get rid of these ads!

45 Years Ago Today Saw My First Big Meet At South Glens Falls Dragway

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bucksnort, Oct 3, 2010.

1. prost34

prost34

yes sir i did,my names jason sweeney,,i drove my chopped steel 34 sedan,primered,fenderless,406 chevy stroker,,i had the only hot rod in the school parking lot full of farm trucks :D

2. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I raced with Bill Boyce at SGF,Utica Rome,Lebanon.He made it big with his produce.Got lots of toys and lets his kids do all the work.
    So you were the guy at school that the mothers told their daughters to stay away from?:D Sounds like you had a cool ride.

3. joee

joee

BUCKSNORT. i drove one of ron's altereds he sold to a guy and asked me to drive it....it was great at the time malone and i had a a econo front motored dragster...we all went to a big race at york and i think i came one round away from racing my own car ,,,,,there was no one more intense than scottie.....he was looked up to by a lot of people,,,,,,,no doubt NOYES WAS THE MAN....AA/MS THE MULE i'm still in awe of him and that old mg.......GLENN: going to pick up a new roadster tomorrow....i say new it's a bunch whole bunch of 29 roadster....that i'll have to screw togeather.....i think i'm stuck already what the hell is a hozengower gear?????????? let's do breakfast asap !!!!

4. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Good story.joee.I never made it to York.You're right about Scottie being intense.One time a bunch of us were at Napierville,Can. for a 2 day race,Scottie included.Sat nite a few of us were out drinking,chasing French babes,a long nite.7 AM Sun morn,scottie is banging on the motel door trying to get us up.He was not too happy with us,he was there to race.
    Agree about Noysey.

5. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

outstanding pictures, thanks for taking the time to share

6. volksjunky

volksjunky

I lived in Hague through 92 when I joined the Air force. I still come back every other summer or so,my pops still lives up there.

7. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Black Arrow defeats Shaker in 3rd place runoffs.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  8. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

I am doing single posts,trying to clean up pics and play with resize.

Ben Woody in the Virginia Twister on bye for 2nd place.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  9. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Black Arrow with Doc Burgess behind the wheel draws a bye in 2nd place action.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  10. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Virginia Twister defeating Black Arrow with a 10.60 at 132mph.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  11. prost34

prost34

oh yea,they where the spoiled rich kids,lol,,,i met my wife at lebanon valley dragstrip,she was the trophie girl,,i was kicking ass in my classes,,great motivation,,:D

12. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Bill Lagana beats Bill Rubin in 3rd round runoffs.

[​IMG]

The Twister beats Bill Rubin.

[​IMG]

Pop Dawleys' Cuda shuts down the Chevy II.
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  13. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Ben Woody drives by the Yates Dodge on the top end.
    [​IMG]

This was the run for first place money.Jay Miner in the 64 Plymouth would lose the transmission down track but Bill McDuell had him covered anyways.
    [​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Was a 2 out of 3 match race between B/stockers.Harr Ford Mustang and the 65 GTO.Mustang prevailed.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  15. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Last 2 pics of the S/S-F/X cars I have of the meet.
    Bill Lagana in his Northern Rebel Comet gates Doc Burgess in the Black Arrow.This was the money round for 3rd place.

[​IMG]

The Comet broke an axle right in front of where I was standing and rolled over.Bill was OK.Car was repairable.Notice the high tech safety barriers.:D

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  16. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Neat Chrysler on the line.Check out the timing tower and the lane win indicators.Place was packed for the show.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  17. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Battle of Willys gassers.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  18. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Modified sports class run off.Norwood Chevy MG takes out the Healy Monster.

[​IMG]

AHotRod likes this.
  19. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

WOW! GREAT PICS! Always looking for pics. of the Yates Dodge Bloodhound originally owned by Bob Ramstrom,Worcester Mass.Car later repainted and called FlintstoneCharger,I presently own car and always neat to find more pics.Thanks for posting,SteveO

20. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Got some more in a different paint scheme.Orange Flintstone Flyer.Saw your car a couple times in last few years.That a Circus paint job?York and Lebanon Valley.
    Bob Ranstrom ran some match races at SGF.Are you a nephew?Think the guy I talked to was.Got some pics of them.Gotta go through my scrapbook.Thinking of posting a bunch on this thread and maybe the motion ones on the Drag Cars in Motion thread here on the HAMB.Have you checked that thread out?See you are a new guy.Thread is huge.
    Did you do an intro on yourself at top of page?Guys here like that you do.

21. flintstonecharger

flintstonecharger
    from Mass.

Hello,car was raced in original red paint as The Yates Dodge/Bloodhound during 65.Had orange and white FlintstoneCharger paint for 66-67.My Uncle Gene O'Neill bought Dodge from Bob Ramstrom spring of 67 when Ramstrom bought John Casey's already altered wheelbase 65 Dodge/Shaker.Only had rear wheels moved up and was painted and lettered same orange and white as super stocker,later sold,possibly totalled around 69 or 70? @ Oxford Plains Maine when owned by Bob Steele,would love to know what happened to that car! Their is confusion between the Flintstone Flyer which was Dave Koffel's Dodge and the pair of FlintstoneCharger"s.The paint now on car is way it looked when raced in 68,painted by magician Randy Beaudin,killer job,makes the car! Want to try and figure out how to post some pics. have collected some good ones over the years,have to also figure out my intro? Not much of computer guy!Later, SteveO

22. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Did not know that Bob Ramstrom bought John Caseys "Shaker".Too bad about crash.There is some pics of the Shaker on this thread and I have others(I think) in my scrapbook.
    Intro is easy,just punch on at the top of the page and follow along.
    I use photobucket for posting.

23. Motion bird

Motion bird

24. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Bob, Thanks for calling my attention to the this thread,,,,,,,It's great!! What a trip back for me. I always wished I took some pics back then but thankfully you took these and others. ........
    One time our towcar broke down just down the road from the Brown Log and we unhooked her and drove the racecar the rest of the way to the strip:D less hectic times........

25. Very nice collection of pics you have. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

26. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Butch, we still go to the "Brown Log", now called "McGregor Pub".
    SGF, before my time

27. Great thread....nice to see pic's of Donny Havers "Mr. 289" Falcon from the day....I see and talk with Donny quite often, thanks for bring back the memories.

Attached Files:

AHotRod likes this.
  28. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Fellow HAMBER Straightpipes and I checked this car out a few months ago.Not bad.Straightpipes told me the other day it was sold locally.Ron Minch ran Y block altereds and was a frequent competitor at SGF.He held the NHRA record in B/A(I think) for awhile.
    JL Speed ran a 66-67 Street Hemi in SS.

29. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Straightpipes and I checked the car out a few months ago.Not bad.Still pretty solid.Appeared to be more of a bracket deal,maybe mid 70's.Straightpipes informs me it was sold locally.
    Ron Minch ran Y block altereds.Was a frequent competitor at SGF.Held the NHRA record in B/A(I think)for awhile.
    JL speed ran a street Hemi 66-67 Dodge.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2010
  30. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

Thanks.
    Grew up with this track in my backyard.Going to share more of my scrapbook when Winter rears it's ugly head.
    Posted a bunch of stories and results from this track and others in the Northeast in a thread called-"Eastern Drag News-one of the best drag rags."