Register now to get rid of these ads!

Suggestions- for a "Shifter Boot" ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordstandard, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Muttley

Muttley

RatRodRatRodRatRod

69fury likes this.
  2. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Go to the fabric store lots of vinyls, or find a piece of black denim, cut 2 pieces, 4 inches at top, 12 inches at bottom, cut to the angle, will look like a pyramid with the top lopped of, turn the denim inside out, sew flap at the top of each piece to accept a boot lace for a draw string, use a black thread on black denim, turn the denim finish side to finish side, sew up the 45 degree angle seams, stop short of the draw string channel, now it's sewed, flop it outside right, fish in a boot lace, or what ever.
    Cut some 1/2 wide x 1/8 stainless into sections to fit the size of the floor hole, tig them up, grind and flush up the seams, now you have a trim ring, drill your holes where you would want them, counter sink them, want it polished knock yourself out, want it brushed run some 80 over it, want it permablacked hit it with 80 or 60 and bake it with the torch.
    Fit it over your lever, slip the trim ring on it and cut off the excess fabric, now you have a black denim, leather, or some hot chick who forgot them at your house jeans shifter boot. You can use any fabric, have fun.

3. adam401

adam401

The leather shift boot is cool cause it'll age and look even cooler over time. If you've ever seen the cockpit of a preserved vintage British car you know what I mean. If it complements or matches the interior you can't really go wrong. If it sticks out like a sore thumb then not so much. Its supposed to make the interior look finished not fucked up, right? Good luck in your hunt for the right one.

4. 666Irish

666Irish

I took a cheesy looking vinyl one, pulled all the stitching at the seams, then used the pieces as a pattern to remake it in a really nice leather that matched the accents in my interior. It really set things off, and looks great.

5. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cut a hole in the end and put a condom on it................:eek:

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Very good question I found mine and made a plate for it ,Its rubber and round ,I searched online and came up with nothing ,Flea market might be your best bet ,Or walk around and look at things,

7. budd

budd

today i found a black leather sofa for free on craigslist, it was a hida-bed, the sides and back are vinyl but the rest was nice thick black leather, it will cost about $10 to dump the rest but i could made 100 shifter boots.

8. Look at 28-31 Ford shift boots, their domed rubber boots, ain't nothing wrong with a good rubber. The amx / javelin one shown in the previous post looks good to me, don't know how easy it is to find one, but I'm gonna start looking.

9. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

I'm gonna go with Tman... not down with the gimmicks, they all fall way short of spectacular... I'm thinking of just snagging one of my dad's NOS 40's John Deere boots, nothin' fany, not big, just a little round rubber boot.. won't stick out, won't get noticed... it's just a shifter boot.. But there is somethin' about a nicely distressed leather boot too (like some one metioned crawl inside an old british sports car)

10. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

hit the bone yard find a mid 80s audi 4000 or 100 they have a nice square leather boot on the manual shifter i have used them on a few of my cars just make a plate to sit inside the leather tuck the edges inside and screw down from underneath done. if you want cheap and readneck try a CV boot. spend some bucks and get the cool VW beetle swing arm ones with all the screws on the one side good luck

11. If someone wants a purse, all you have to do is look in some flea markets
    or craft type shows. Those famous name knockoff purses are all over
    the place. Maybe $15 or $20. They have the name tags on them and
    everything.

How about one of those miniature orange safety cones?

12. Ga55er

Ga55er
    from Texas

Took me a while to find the pic.
    [​IMG]

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"It ain't easy, being cheesy"....

Jerrybigbird likes this.