Register now to get rid of these ads!

272 vs 292 Y-Block

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TBUCKETMILLER, Oct 4, 2010.

1. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

I have a 1957 Ford F100 with what was suppose to be a rebuilt 272 V8 in it. Is there a big difference between a 272 and a 292 Y-Block? It seems whatever engine is in my truck does not work with the original radiator or transmission. The engine is on the mounts but comes short of bolting up to the bellhouse by about 3/4" to 1". The engine also has the lower radiator hose coming out on the drivers side but my radiator lower hose outlet is on the passenger side.

I am really confused as to what is actually been installed in my truck. Any help would be greatly appreicated. If any body has an engine compartment picture of a 1957 Ford F100 with a Y-Block in stalled please post a picture for me to see.

2. Are you using engine side mounts or a front mount?

The blocks are very similar between the 272 & 292; they are interchangeable, assuming you are using the correct style of mount for the vehicle. The bellhousing patterns are the same. The depth of bellhousings varies, though; passenger car and truck bells are different.

If memory serves, the '57 radiator outlet should be on the driver's side (U.S., that is) to match your 272's pump...

3. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

The current engine has mounts up front by the water pump. It does not have side mounts.

4. 65COMET

65COMET

Go to y-blocksforever.com , plenty of knowledge over there.It sounds like you have the wrong bell housing,it should have motor mount ears on it if it is a truck bell.

5. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I will take a picture of my 272 block in my 57 "push truck" F-100. It is the original engine in it, just spruced up with some paint and new decals. The 272 and 292 should be same dimensionally, unless the newer 292's are different. Will try and post pics later on today.

Love them 57 F-100's! Good looking truck and only year with single headlights.

6. YBlockCruizer

YBlockCruizer

My '57 F100 has a 292 y block and all mounts match the original 272 points. The bottom radiator outlet is on driver's side and top inlet is centered on tank. I don't know if my attached with help but here they are....

Attached Files:

7. Chalupa55

Chalupa55
    from So-Cal

Engines are identical externally, only difference is the bore size.

8. TBUCKETMILLER

TBUCKETMILLER

Thanks guys. What it is looking like is the radiator in my truck is not the correct radiator. My radiator has the lower hose outlet on the passenger side with the upper centered. I need a radiator with the lower outlet on the drivers side. I am going to pull the engine out and bolt up the bellhousing and then reinstall it to see if there is a problem. I don't think the transmission in my truck is the stock transmission as well. Man sometimes it is hard telling what the previous owner did. I guess that is part of the fun working on a older car/truck project.

Thanks for the pictures and all the advice. With any luck I will get this thing on the road. I will post some pictures of my problem later this evening.

9. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

A radiatar shop can change the outlet for you. May it was a 6 cyl?

10. Your bell should as mentioned have two "ears" on the sides for mounts, as it acts as a crossmember in addition to being a mount.

A Y block passenger car bell has a depth of 6 1/2"; the truck bells are 7 1/8", and there are a couple of different ones.

If you are using an actual Y truck front mount, and have the correct bell, there shouldn't be a problem. Keep in mind also that the original transmission is not supported at all at the tailshaft housing.

Assuming the bell/trans are OK, then it's possible that the front mount is from a six cylinder...it's a physically different part and it can be made to fit a Y block, but it won't position it correctly.

I'm wondering if the truck was originally equipped with a six, not a 292 as you were told...I believe at least some of the truck sixes had passenger side radiator outlets.