Register now to get rid of these ads!

You can tell times are changing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by carcrazyjohn, Oct 2, 2010.

1. There is your answer right there. The wage of an assistant manager $10.50 per hour, total bullshit! We all know you get what you pay for in this world. My question is how much longer can people survive on this kind of wage? No one can possibly support his/her family on these wages today.Thanks to all of you guys that help us with whatever you do that make poverty wages. Thanks corporate american greed.....:(

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

oldguard , Man I wish you had a store over here in Pa ! Sounds like you have a good grew and you better keep them . Hard to find a good parts counter person anymore that will try to help you find a parts that will work . I don't go in with a pissy attitude either ! I just don't mess with them anymore and just get my parts on-line or someplace else . It's just irritating that the person behind the counter is just there to punch in and punch out and put his time in for the paycheck ! If you have to deal with people that don't care , it's hard to get the help that they should be giving and yes we will get upset and sound off due to these kind of people . To many of todays young people have a crappy attitude working for $7+ an hour ! They expect a bigger pay for doing a simple job but that is the way they are brought up and taught today . If they went back in time back to the 1950's to the 1970's to see how things use to be , maybe they would understand why they should put forth more effort to do a better job and help the people out better ! The Chain parts store have the mentality that is the computer says they don't have it or that model car in their computer , you are screwed ! The one store I go to will help if you get the manager ! He will try anyway he can to help you out . Sometimes he will tell me go look down this isle behind the counter and just find the parts that will work and I will check you out when you are done . They also had a girl there that was like that but she quit because she couldn't stand the way the others worked and did nothing but fill in the blanks on the computer .
    Well if you want to open a parts store over my way let me know . I can always use a few extra buck working a few hours a week .

Retro Jim

3. fbama73

fbama73

Oldguard- that first guy you described sounds like me in my parts counter days. People would come in and say "this is gonna be a tough one." I'd tell them "good, anyone can look up Cavalier brake pads," and do everything I could to help them get what they needed.

But, we were a small, locally owned store (part of a chain of four)- we'd never compete with Autozone on price, but we had quality parts, and I always tried to give superior service so people would be okay with spending an extra buck or two.

And yes, within reason, the customer has to provide good information. If a car could have an Olds, Buick or Chevy 350 from the factory, I need to know more than "It's a 350" to give you correct engine gaskets.

But, if I ask for front axle u joints for a pickup, it's not out of line to think someone ignorant if they ask if it's 2 or 4 wheel drive.

4. This is common. :rolleyes: But I still find the odd counterman that knows what is going on and trys to help. Our shop used to have a NAPA store up front and we had real countermen, you know the kind that when you threw your part on the counter he would just go to the bins and get what you needed no questions asked. We sold the NAPA part 10+ years ago and our head counterman just died this year but there are still some guys out there that want to learn and will be a help in the future. All is not lost! We have a Kragens here in town that has a very knowledgable woman in the back, but I just can't say counterperson, I'm not that PC.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2010
  5. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Gentlemen, sometimes YOU are the key to the future of the kid behind the counter. Example, I went into an "O" parts store an ask for an oil filter of a specific size and thread type. I get the usual computer questions. Tell the counter kid he won't find it in the "dumb box", look in the "Green Books". The what? Walk behind the counter and point at a rack of big green binders. The kid says he doesn't know what they are used for. I explain thier use and find the filter listing by size; length, dia., gasket size and thread. By now I have three people looking over my shoulder asking questions. The store manager was one of the three.
    Now when I go in and the part sounds off the wall, the kid will ask if I know what book to get.
    I have never worked in a parts store, but years ago an older fellow in a parts store showed me how to use a parts book. It has paid off.

6. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Francisco Plumbero said it best on this thread.....it's the economy and corporate rightsizing. Dont get me started on zero budgets for high school autoshop classes.

Fathers teach and model to their sons and daughters their interest in cars and working on them if its possible to pry the Iphones, Twitter and playstation from there hands...

I'm pointing with three fingers pointing back at me...

7. TheWrenchbender

TheWrenchbender
    from Belton SC

I guess I'm just lucky the guys at my local NAPA really know their stuff. They can use the paper back catalog or the box of rocks to find parts for pert-ner anything that rolls, crawls or can be pulled or pushed. Like I said I'm real lucky!

8. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

didn't read all these responses, just a few but here's a thought

the big stores all have parts online, you know what you want? then look it up and walk in with a part number, problem solved.

it is easier to complain about the kid who doesn't know what you want not being able to find the part you need when it's as easy as posting on the hamb to find your own parts, but then what would there be to complain about

although i did stop into autozone for some wire and looked for a fan spacer, they don't have them anymore so we lathed one down

9. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I knew I was screwed when I drove up in my 57 Chevy at Autozone and one of the guys who had worked there awhile asked me what year my old car was ????? Since when does a car guy not recognize an american Icon?

10. I need a Transmission Pressure Gauge for a '48 Subaru please.

With or without air?

Without

Does it have an automatic transmission?

No.

Is it two or four wheel drive?

Four.

I'm not showing it on the computer. Must be a dealer item.

11. screwball

screwball

12. lovea57Ford

lovea57Ford
    from TN

Went to Advance once to get a new Holley for the 312. Said it would take a few days, ok, no prob. Went in there when it came in, it was for a '77 Fairmont. I can half understand that, but when the next one came in, guy brought out a box about three feet long and I said there was no way that was my carb. Inside was a Holley 830..."this is what it called for.." Told the guy I wasn't building a drag car. Again " that's what the computer calls for." Went to Auto Zone where they still have one guy there who knows his buisness, and he fixed me up right. I could go on and on about Advance and their computers...

13. Belchfire8

Belchfire8

That's what I've been telling people for a while now, but even looking the part up and having the number when you go to O'MurrayZone doesn't always help. I went with the part number for an Edelbrock gasket kit, the mom behind the counter rolled her eyes and glanced at my slip of paper, tapped on the computer for a while and said she had ordered it....when I came back to pick it up she had ordered a Mr. Gasket hood pin kit....:rolleyes::eek::D I gave the guy behind the counter that time the very same slip I had shown to the mom and he managed to order a carb gasket kit. ( He was the manager after all)

14. The_Monster

The_Monster

Back in the day, I went to Glisan Auto, on Glisan street. A guy there named Dave with a big gold eagle necklace, smokin 100's behind the counter. He looked like Krass, from Krass and Bernie in the CARtoons mag. Him and a guy named Rich, a redhead with thick glasses and bad teeth. Theyd tell dirty jokes, smoke a few butts, and then help you with what you needed after 15 min of BS'in. haha! great memories!!

I remember theyd put my drum brakes on the turn machine and wrap an old leather belt around it to keep it from vibrating.

Another one, Tonys Tune-up Specialties. Go to this guy for any old car tune ups. Had thick smoked glasses, rolled a wet chunk of cigar around in his mouth and wore the same grungy clothes and beat up pointed cowboy boots. Had all kinds of dirty cartoon pictures and naked chick calenders all over the shop. Those were the days. He KNEW what he was doing, car always was sent out runnin like a top.

16. On the other side of this,
    I had a cuss-to-mer walk up to me and throw down a small black electronic peice about 1/4 inch square with a wire sticking out of it. no part numbers, no identifying marks at all. I ask him"Okay,what is it and what does it do?" HE calls ME the stupid one, and storms out ranting about "a-holes dont know nuthin any more!". OR, how about the guy who says "I need spark plugs". I ask "For what kind of car?" He says,"Their all the same! just give me 8 of 'em!" I gave him 8 spark plugs, 3, 1/2 inch pipe thread plugs for a model"T", 2 for a lawn mower, 1 for a weed eater,and the rest were different heat ranges for 5/8 "peanut" plugs. I put them all in a brown paper bag and sent him to the cash register. 20 minutes later, he's back. Mad as hell. "You sold me a hand full of shit! whats the matter with you?" I looked at him and said "I asked you what they were for and you said it didnt matter they were all the same. NOW,what year,make, model, and engine?"
    I have also had old timers{Who should know better!} tell me they wont change heat ranges on plugs because"I dont want to burn up my new engine with that hotter plug!"
    All I really wanted to say is, give the poor kid behind the counter a chance to screw up BEFORE you shut him down.

17. firingorder1

firingorder1

Gotta agree with RR's post above. There seems to be almost as many stooopid customers as there are stupid countermen. The countermen of today are not trained to know what goes on a '48 Ford with a '53 Olds in it. Todays parts companies are there to move as many parts as possible and make as much money as possible. I work for a national auto parts company (I'd name them but when I asked for a bit of finacial help to get to Bonneville this year they refused quoting "hard times". Did it on my own nickel so screw'em.). Anyway everything has now become computerised. Stock arrives in, its scanned onto the shelf and its location is scanned. Take it off the shelf and you have to scan it. Not just the part but its location. Control of stock and shift as much of it as possible is what its all about. With the massive amount of parts for a huge variety of cars its impossible without a computer to know everything.

18. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

We as hot rodders have to know what we need and not expect others to know what year caliper or brake shoes we have on our hot rod. We cant slam all counter people expecting them to know what a valve cover gasket looks like for a nail head. Work with your counter person and tell them what year make and model your part came on from the factory so they can find it in their system. Some of these people cant use books as they were not taught and or don't have any books, so then you need to find another store with a older more seasoned counter man. All towns should have one good store that has an old school counter man and stick with him. I use my local NAPA because the counter men are all old and have been there since before computers. They are not afraid to get the books out and do some research for you. Most of the cars and trucks I work on you cant get parts for by the normal "what year make and model and is it a two or four door or is it two wheel or four wheel drive" etc. You need to have the facts ready and expect to do some searching, and help them when you can. The NAPA stores here in my town have a large warehouse and I can get just about anything the same day. That cant be done with the other cheap national chain stores around here. And for Gods sake, treat everyone with respect!

19. ajwhiskey51

ajwhiskey51

"And for Gods sake, treat everyone with respect!"

Whoa, what a novel idea, some of you should try it you'll probably get much better service.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

20. lewislynn

lewislynn

How much are you willing to pay for your parts?
    Do you go to where parts are most expensive to be sure and get the well paid help?

If you want to know what it costs to hire someone and the government regulations,taxes fees etc that go along with it try it ...you'll find out who the greedy bastards are...It's the guys with their hands in your pocket who do nothing to promote or encourage business...and that ain't "corporate America"

Right off the top that $10.50 hr. guy costs an additional 7.65% in federal employer payroll taxes ($11.30 hr. right there). In some cases (soon to be all cases) the government requires the employer to furnish health care.

Lets say $500.00 mnth. (160 hrs a month = $3.12 hr) Now we're up to $14.40 and that's all employer benefits. Healthcare benefits WERE tax free (not anymore).

Add the mandated workers compensation insurance. I'm guessing for a parts counter person probably 15% of his gross...add another $1.50 hr.

Now were at $15.90 HR or 50% added to his wage due to government mandates...who are the greedy ones again?

That doesn't include uniforms, paid sick leave, vacations or any mandated state taxes etc.

Then you have liability ins., utilities (going through the roof), rent, property maintenance, hazardous disposal fees. hazardous compliance regs., to only name a few.

Everyone thinks autoshop classes are cancelled because of those evil budget cuts. That's their excuse because you'll believe it.

When was the last time you heard of any school administrators layed off? Teachers are layed off, classes are eliminated and downsized but the governmet administrative offices continue to grow without funding cuts...(who were the greedy ones again?)

It's no secret in the minds of those dimwits that cars are destroying the planet . THAT's why there's no auotoshop. Because instead, they're in another classroom being taught the lies that cars, cow farts and frigg'n light bulbs are destroying the planet.

Oh and no offense but if you're going to be a Asst. manager in a parts house at least spell carburetor right.

21. The moral of the thread seems to be, if you want a part from a chain store, look it up on their website first. In the case of Advance, you can often get a better price on it, have it sent to the store, and not pay shipping, or if you spend enough the shipping's free and you don't even have to deal with a counterperson.

And folks, it's getting so a GM with a TBI is old news, I'm running one for a beater and I have to have them order in a lot of parts for that... if I wanted a base gasket for a Rochester 220 TBI, which is the same thing on almost every one GM ever made? None of the local Advance stores have them in stock. None. So expecting something for a vehicle with an actual carburetor could be a stretch. Heck when I wanted plug wires only one of their stores had any sets that would work on my van and it's a '95.

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I love it when they say..what is this part for? and i pull up a build picture from my phone and they stand there stunned and dont know how to answere.
    but i dont love it much when they say, we dont have parts for those types of cars here..WTF?
    yeah you do moron, you just dont know it yet, set me loose and I'll find it genius:cool:

23. mikeco

mikeco
    from virginia

Is a 75 Ford Courier a M/C? I could be wrong but I believe he was right!

24. 666Irish

666Irish

The simple solution to this problem is right in front of you as you read this. Before I get in the car to go to any of the aforementioned stores, I get online, find the local stores, look up the part I need, and see if it is in stock. I then write down the part number, call the store, have them verify that the part is indeed in stock, then I ask them to set it aside and let them know that I will be there in 'X' number of minutes.

All of this usually takes me under 10 minutes. It saves a boatload of hassles.

25. Racrdad

Racrdad

Went in OReilley Auto Parts last week, asked if they had a 4 position universal headlight switch, guy walks straight to the computer and asks me what make of car that is, I say universal, he starts to type it in the computer. Of course they didnt have it......... Maybe the Universal Car Company went out of business already..... anyway, ordered it online and it was in my hands 3 days later.

26. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Yep, times are changing, for the better actually. Just have to use our brains for someting besides a hat-rack.:D
    Want a one inch fan spacer? Since you have access to the internet.............. Google; 1 inch fan spacer; Get the JEGS, Flexalite, Permacool, and MrGasket part numbers, print them fukkers out and take them to the kid at the autoparts store. He'll be asking you which one you want. :D
    http://www.google.com/products?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CDkQrQQwAg

For you young whippersnappers; I can remember when aftermarket fan spacers weren't even a concept. I got a feeling OP didn't really ask for a solution to getting parts, this thread is more of a whining contest than solution gathering.

27. BenderJ

BenderJ
    from Detroit

And since when did antifreeze come "pre-mixed"? Seriously, are people that special that they can't figure out a how to mix it 50/50?

28. metalix_421

metalix_421

im with him ^^^

29. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

I hear you, if it needs to be ordered I do it online myself

30. greaseguns

greaseguns

Quit bitchin......if you ask at most of these stores they will gladly let you look it up in there paper catalogs.....when I walk in they ask what catalog I want to look at...