Register now to get rid of these ads!

unilug

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cwright, Oct 3, 2010.

1. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

I need to make a set of unilug wheels one pattern does anyone have any ideas

2. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well yes but how are you going to make the wheel ? If you have a high tech milling machine to make them then the computer runs it , right ? The they have programs in them so you can make one . Heck today a uni lug is different than the ones in the 1970's . Today they have a wheel with 10 hole in it to fit many different cars . Back in the 70's it was a wheel with 5 oval or oblong holes and you used an oval washer to make it line up depending on what your bolt pattern was .
    So if you can explain a little better of what you are wanting , maybe we can help you better . What bolt pattern do you need and why do you need a uni lung ?

Retro Jim

3. Checksix!

Checksix!

look up lugnutking.com , he's outta Ca. He comes to our swaps in Phx and I've seen those washers on his table.

Good luck,
    Dave

4. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

We have successfully made wheels "unilug", specially vintage american racing wheels, we usually make the "oval" from a 4-3/4in (chevy) to Ford 4-1/2 bolt pattern, you may be able to do it at home but usually a wheel shop will do it for you (and maybe better), then you should buy a .68" (11/16) "mag" lug nuts with washer (these are round) and they will align perfectly. At the shop they use an indexig fixture to drill in the new bolt pattern. I can take some pictures of one wheel and send it to you if you want. hope this helps.

5. I think he is want to change a set of unilug wheels to single pattern.

Post a picture of the wheel and state the material the wheel is made of and that will help some one answer your question. Paul

6. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

the wheels are old american racing from the 60s. I am planing on racing the car and dont the ovals and washers. i need to fit an olds/pont bolt pattern wich is 5x5

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  7. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

the wheels are vintage americans. I want to race the car and dont trust the unilug pattern. i belive they range from 5x4 1/2 to 5x5. i need to make them only 5x5

8. violet springs

violet springs

I helped a friend of mine change his Cragars from a unilug pattern to a 5 x 5 pattern on a car that he raced, he was having trouble twisting the wheel studs. I milled him a set of cresent shaped spacers that fit in the slot, leaving an 11/16 dia. hole and a 5 x 5 pattern.

9. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

i was thinking of doing some thing like tha i just wasent sure if it would work, 11/16th would be good because i could use a 1/2 inch stud

10. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

here they are

Attached Files:

11. Rrumbler

Rrumbler

In the early sixties, I, and a few others raced on "UniLug" patterned wheels without any problems; we all ran autocross/slalom, and drags. That said, I think the age of your wheels, and their condition should dictate your direction, here. Old wheels, no matter how well they have been taken care of, may have fatigue issues, and in the case of the wheel you show, it has been drilled for screws to keep the tire from spinning, so it has most likely been subjected to some rather hard use. If I was in your place, I would just bite the bullet and ante up for some new steel wheels to go racing with. If you really want the looks of the "old school wheels", get the correct washers and nuts and dress them with some nice street tires, and change them out when you go to the track. I know, shallow pockets, cost, and all that, but you can't put a price on safety.

12. cwright

cwright
    from greece NY

thanks for the advice, i was actualy on et's website tonight