Register now to get rid of these ads!

Title from engine serial to body serial? MO

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wiggins, Oct 1, 2010.

1. wiggins

wiggins
    from Center, MO

So for whatever reason, apparently Missouri titled any vehicle before August of 1957 by the serial number of the engine, not the body serial number.

After a nice visit with the ladies at the local DMV, they got my some forums, and the phone number to highway patrol for inspection.

I call highway patrol, and they say the DMV ladies were wrong. I can not switch the title from the engine to the body without first swapping engines, and then filling out another "Motor change" form, then going to get it inspected with this form noterized, then they can issue a "MOTOR CHANGE" title based upon the serial of the body.

This seemed like a hassle.

Anybody know if I can just switch the title from the engine serial to the body serial without having to jump through flaming hoops?

I'd like the title to still be an "original title" and not "motor change" or anything like that. I know it really makes no difference, but it would to me.

The forms I have right now:
    4719 "Motor Change Affidavit"
    5062 "APPLICATION FOR VEHICLE/TRAILER IDENTIFICATION
    NUMBER PLATE OR VERIFICATION"

http://dor.mo.gov/forms/4719.pdf
    http://dor.mo.gov/forms/5062.pdf
    <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls -->[​IMG]

2. I have the same problem on my 54 Chevy Bel Air - was origianlly a Texas car, then Florida now New York. I was able to schedule an appointment with the NY State Motor Vehicle Investigations Unit. The car is still in the shop so I must wait until it can be driven to the appointment, but I spoke to the investigator on the phone and he explained that once he verifies the VIN on the post, he issues an approval which I take to the DMV office and they will issue a new registration. The vehicle predates titles in NY State [1972??] so the reggie is the title and the transfer document.
    Anyhow I fully expect to convert to the VIN - I should mention that the motor is original and I have no plans to change it, but I want the VIN to match the reg. Hard to believe that some states used motor numbers instead of the original VIN on the body post??
    I would suggest contacting your central state MV office.
    Al

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what the big woop about having an "original title" is if you intend to swap engines. Having a title that is correct for the vehicle as it sits seems more important.
    First thing is to get the title in your name if you don't already have it in your name and then if and when you do the engine swap go have the title changed to reflect "motor change and use the number on the tag on the door post as the vin.

The P/O of my 48 had the title changed to "Motor Change" in Texas sometime before I bought the truck. It then had a 194 Chevy II six in it. I swapped in a 283 and moved back here to Washington a couple of years later. The inspector here, looked at the title and matched the vin on the door post to the title and all was good. That was 32 years and three engines ago. Once the title says motor change you don't have to do anything if you swap engines again.

4. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

We can't, even though some people try, to re-write history.:D Motor Numbers on the title came BEFORE the term Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) was even a concept.

5. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

You gotta get creative with titles in missouri. And always play dumb at the dmv. and if you dont get your way go to a different dmv. what kind of car is it on?

I just read the dmv form and it sounds like the state patrolman was just lazy,(typical).
    quote:
    This form is to be used when a vehicle/trailer identification number (VIN) plate needs to be verified, issued, or replaced.

if you have a title that is for the engine serial, just tell them that you just need a title issued with a vin for a car that didn't come with a vin.

don't ever volunteer information to cops. just tell 'em what they need to know.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  6. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

Good luck.
    I thought it could be done but have been sending in fourms and waiting on hold for a couple of months trying to do the same thing. I wanted to get the title squared away before swapping the engines.
    Yesterday I got my title back with a letter saying I had to do the motor swap first. How does that make any sense???
    After I swap the engine I have no way to prove the truck belongs to the title.
    Back to the phone Mon.
    I know it can be done but not sure anyone in Jeff City knows how.

7. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

This is an interesting subject that I encountered just a few years ago. My father and I found a one-owner, all original '55 Chevy 150 2-door sedan at an estate sale and when I viewed the ORIGINAL title from 1955, I realized that the VIN # looked very unusual and was actually the engine stamping. I actually thought that it was some kind of factory/dealer mistake but in the end it was pretty easy to straighten out at the license office.

8. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

What did you have to straighten out?
    Wasn't the engine what was used to regester that car originally and still ok the way it was.

The problem here is having a vehicle with the engine number used as the vin on the title and then what to do when doing an engine swap and no longer having the original number anywgere on the vehicle.

9. Be glad you can license/title the car at all....here in Nebraska, if you don't have a title that matches the VIN on the car, they tell you to go away....fergit it, no title.

10. I hear you guys have it rough down there. Young lady here in our county took my dads bill of sale for his 56 Chevy and when she came back tot eh counter with the plates she had dug out a plate with 56 in the sequence because she thought it was fitting!

But, to the OP, listen to guys in YOUR OWN STATE ONLY, how hard or easy in other states means nothing to you.

11. BinderRod

BinderRod

You need to make the 1 1/2 hr drive to Jefferson City and go to the Truman building. The vin didn't exist on my 39, now it has a SBC so I didn't have a motor number but, I did have the original title. I picked up historic plates so I will never have to have it inspected and never have to buy plates again. It also help to have a buddy that owns a car lot. They did all the paper work and I just went and paid for the plates. I also picked up a 1939 truck plate that can be used for the historic plate and it only cost 27 bucks to do it.

12. wiggins

wiggins
    from Center, MO

It's a 49 Chevy panel truck.

I have the title (with the engine serial) in my name already.
    If I went with the "motor change" branded title, I have to get the 4719 form notarized.
    I'd then use the 5062 form to get a new title.
    This is what Troop C told me.

I'm taking plenty of pictures, and video, of this project, just to use in case I do have a legal problem.

I plan to do a walk around video, showing the engine serial number, and going to the body serial number before I do an engine swap.

I'm saving all receipts of everything I buy for this vehicle (including the receipt for the wood I'm buying to make running boards out of)

I plan on calling the state DMV to see if they can help me out.

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

forget about telling them about the motor swap. just have them issue a vin for the truck. end of story. then swap the motor after the title is straight.

14. wiggins

wiggins
    from Center, MO

Thats what I'd like to do, but mr hipo from troop c said no.
    Tomorrow includes a call to Jeff city.

15. Joe H

Joe H

Your best bet is to go to Jeff city for a face to face. Then go across town to the HP head quarters for a one on one with the trooper in charge. Take all your papers you have. Take some pictures along of the truck to show its condition. Also take along a bill of sale for the new engine and/or trans. Have your buddy write one up, they like to know where you get all the big ticket items from in case you are skipping out on some of there tax money!

When I had title problems, they denied everything I sent for three months. I got fed up and made the drive. It went very easy after that. All I needed was a bill of sale for the new engine and trans, and a new builders title. They threw out the original title ( I kept it, but no longer legal) and started the new one. Hp had to verify the serial numbers of the engine and trans, '37 truck didn't have any to check, and that was all. The riveted on a new VIN number and I had tags with in the week.

Not sure why they couldn't do it through the mail, I think someone different must have looked it over each time I sent it back.

Joe

16. Just as a follow up to a few opinions, one, no, it's not a big deal to change the motor number to the VIN on the body post, but it makes life easier when the registration matches the factory welded original vehicle serial number not to mention it is much simpler to find and check than the motor digits. The other thing is it's not so much about re-writing history as it is with opting for a more efficient and easier to validate system. Not to mention when the post VIN matches the paperwork nothing needs further explanation - so simple and smooth is less of a hassle. But the comment of following one's own state rules is spot on.
    Al

17. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

The '55 Chevy 150 2-Door that I dealt with was a 6-cylinder car so it was prime hot rod material and engine swap candidate. Thankfully, it was easy after the purchase to get the new title with the door jamb VIN on the new title instead of the engine stamping. Imagine the horror and hassle of doing an engine swap and junking the original 6-cylinder before taking care of the title?! You'd have a car with a title with a number that no longer matches anything on the vehicle anymore. I bet this had to happen to many '55 Chevy race cars over the years.

18. REM/Mo

REM/Mo
    from Missouri

That is exactly what they are telling me to do.
    Here is an exact quote from the reply I recieved from Jeff City.

"We have recieved your application for title on the above referenced vehicle.The documents you submitted indicate that the engine may possibly be changed in the future. You are requesting that the identification number on the title be changed to reflect the body number of the vehicle instead of the current engine number.

According to Missouri stature 301.370 RSMo this may only be done after the engine has been replaced. Therefore, we are returning your title number xxxxxx with the vehicle identification number of xxxxx. When you decide to change the engine at a later date then you may submit the required documents at that time.

If you require additional information or assistance, please contact" etc. etc. etc.

19. Why not register it as though it had no paperwork at all? Very easy to do in NY, no one inspects anything, and you can do it anytime.

20. Home Brew

Home Brew

The real problem in Missouri is no one actually knowa what is correct. A number of years ago I built a glass bodied car. I called Jeff City to see what was the correct procedure to obtain my title. I was told to send in all receipts, certificate of origin, and a title application and woulf get a title right away. So I saved all my papers as I was constructing the car and when I was finished I sent everything in as I was instructed to do. After a two month wait I called to see what my status was. The lady( a different one) had no idea what I was talking about and stated they had no paper work from me. The next day, in the mail, I recieved the pink copy of my tile application that I had neglected to remove. So I called them again and gave them the number off the application and surprise, they found my papers right away. I was told they were sorry for the delay and would process it immediately. After another two week wait and no title, I called again and was told that I would have to have the State Police inspect it. I asked how this was done and was told to contact the Patrol at Macon and he would give me an appointment. So I called and got my appointment. About a half hour later the trooper called back and told me I would have to go before a judge and have him declare it my car. So I trip on down to the courthouse to ask the judge how this was done. H tells me that I need a lawyer to represent me and it should only cost me 3 to 5 hundred dollars. I gave up. Made a few calls, sent a check and had a title in a few days.

21. Home Brew

Home Brew

Another thing in Missouri is if you buy a car from out of state, you are required an ID/OD inspection before they will issue a title.

22. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser

23. I fell your pain I went to do the 52 ply it was an motor vin car. so I go to DMV OREGON and she walks out and and starts looking at the door jam I told her its a motor vin car she says her book dont show that I told her her book was wrong. She then says I think this car is stolen and I am calling the state police ok 30 min later here he comes and looks at everything and tells her, she is incorrect it is a vin motor car, she ask,s for another officer ( what Balls ) longer story short they had to use the body run number on the fire wall as I was going to remove the motor for the V-8. its now in St Louis Mo. I sure hope he had no problems with this shit.

24. stlouisgasser

stlouisgasser