Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ron Olmstead

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Sep 30, 2010.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey Phoenix guys, If you haven't heard, one of our own has had a real bad time this week. He is not on the H.A.M.B. (lord knows I've tried to get him on here), but, if your a Phoenix rodder you know him or have heard of him. Tuesday afternoon Ron had a very serious heart attack and is currently in Phoenix Baptist Medical Center. I do not know his condition as of this moment, but I know last night when his wife Jan called me he was still critical after a quadruple bypass earlier in the day. Jan has promised to let me know when he can receive visiters, and I'll update every body when that happens.
    Thanks gang, Chip Quinn

2. Only know who Ron is because of ElP and his bitchin tub. Thoughts and prayers go our to friends and family wishing Ron a quick recovery.

3. MilesM

MilesM

Hope for a full and quick recovery.

4. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thank you for letting us know.

I hope he will get better soon.

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Just got a call from Jan, he can have visitors as of now. I'm gonna get cleaned up and go see him right away.

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Please tell him Hi from me ( Alex )

I'll be thinking off him.

7. I just saw this while taking a break from work. Will go asap when I get off work today since its up the street from where I am today. Ron is salt of the earth here in the hot rod world of phoenix. I would not have my 32 5 window if it was not for him and Metalshapes.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang! I just got back from the hospital, and Ron is holding his own. But I will caution against all in the Phoenix area going down to visit quite yet. I kind of jumped the gun on that a bit. Let's give him the next 48 hours or so to get some strength back. I sensed that my visit was pretty draining, so I cut it short. His wife Jan is with him all day,so he is in good hands. That's all for now, I'm going to contact Jan in the late morning tomorrow and see if he is in better shape. If he is I'll go see him again. Any updates that I have I will post here for all to see.
    Thanks much, Chip

9. jerry

jerry

DAMN!

Glad to hear that he's doing better. Let Jan and ron know the are in my thoughts!

jerry

10. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I can't stress enough to hold off on going to see Ron for the next day or two. We need to let him rest and get some strength back. If anybody has any questions as to his condition or when to visit etc., please call me on the number on my signature line. Barring that, Hot Rod Ron is staying close in this deal as well, so if you can't get a hold of me for any reason, give him a ring.
    Ron is one of the neatest people that this hobby has ever turned out, and I have had the privileged of lovingly calling him "pop" for the last twenty years or so as my "adopted dad". I'm not a praying kinda guy, but I'm keeping a good thought for a speedy recovery - If you are, now would be a very good time to put in a good word or two to your powers that be for him to get well soon.
    Thanks, Chip

11. Feel free to contact me as well like Need Louvers said.

12. spikeshotrods

spikeshotrods

Ron is one Tuff Old Dude, He'll pull through this just fine, as Hot Rod Ron said salt of the earth, He's the type guy that brightens the day of everyone he talks to. I love having him around. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his wife.

Attached Files:

13. brady1929

brady1929

don't know him but thoughts and prayer go out to his family

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Talked to Jan last night before bed and Ron's breathing tube was removed at about 7:30 last night. That's a good sign that he is doing better! I'm going to run down and see him later this afternoon. I'll update tonight.

15. wetspeed

wetspeed
    from So Cal

Chip, Please give Ron my best and advise when he is healthy enough to receive a phone call.

Thanks

Jim

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hey gang! I'm sorry to keep bringing such an O/T subject up, but in Arizona especially, Ron is a very important part of what are and do. It's 5:30 on Saturday, and I just got back from the hospital, but Ron has had a really hard day recuperating, and I couldn't see him. I sat with Jan for a bit and talked and kind of decided to let him rest a bit more before we all start piling through. If your thinking of going to see him, hold back until maybe late tomorrow or even better Monday. Jan is holding up well but I can tell she is getting tired too. All in all things are looking up, but this is a hard deal to come back from, and it is going to take a bit of time for him. Ron and Jan both send their thanks to all that have been calling and wishing well for the last few days. I know first hand how many friends Ron has, (Ron had a get together for just '32 Fords a couple of years ago that was limited to "just friends"; would you believe 110 '32s showed up from 4 different states?) and I think I have talked to 40 of you in the last couple of days and been passing along your well wishes. I will keep close and keep posting as there is more info. Any questions call me please.
    Thanks again, Chip Quinn

17. WEBSTER

WEBSTER
    Member Emeritus
    from Tacoma, Wa

Welcome to the "bypass club" Ron! Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your surgery from your pal up in Washington. Take it real easy, follow your dr's orders and especially your wife's as you will really need some of nursing skills for awhile. Don't try to do too much, hope to see you soon as I am going to the HRR in Bakersfield and then will be down in Tucson to visit my son's for a few days. Terry in Tacoma.

18. 32-cabriolet

32-cabriolet
    from Gilbert Az

Chip, thanks for the updates!!! I had not heard! Ron (& Jan) are GREAT people!!! my prayers go out to them!!! please pass on my get well wishes!!!

Brad Boland

19. Brian W

Brian W

I hope Ron has a speedy recovery! Let him know BJ's thinking of him!

20. Stitchn

Stitchn

Thanks Chip for letting us know, Let us know when he get's to come home.

21. Mr.Freeze

Mr.Freeze
    from Az

Chip ' I too call him Pops and have known Ron going on 18 years, He is one of my favorite people on the planet! For those who don't know him I feel bad for you, he is trually one of those rare people as well is Jan. I will pray twice as hard to cover you Chip ! Tell Jan and Ron, Rob sends his best and I will visit when the time is appropiate. Thanks Chip for the info and your diligence.

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I just talked to Jan a few minutes ago, and she tells me that Ron "lost allot of tubes" today! That's good, 'cause when I saw him on Thursday, it looked like the entire hospital pharmacy was plugged into his I.V.s. That said, he still is pretty weak, and holding off on a visit for a few more days still would be a good deal... Gotta let the sleep this off a bit, ya know?!

23. metalshapes

metalshapes

Thank you for the updates.

24. Yes, thanks.

25. I have met Ron a few times and I really like him as well. My Dad(Webster here on the Hamb) wished him the best earlier. I wish him the best as well. Ron, Hope that new flathead they stuck in ya keeps ticking for another 100,000 miles. Best wishes, Dale in Tucson

26. Hello Chip

I have just seen this thread, hope Ron has a speedy recovery!!! I meet Ron a couple of times and he is a real nice and cool guy, get well wishes from Lars and Karin.

27. deafri40

deafri40
    from vista ca.

Hi Chip. Dean here. my family told me about Ron, and I hope he keeps getting better, Elizabeth and have Ron and Jan in our prayers every day. Iwll try and call you later
    Elizabeth and Dean Friend

28. Mike

Mike

Chip, thanks for keeping us informed. Ronnie is a pretty tough guy, he's in rough shape, but I reckon he'll do allright.

I truly love Ronnie and Jan (as do many here in Phoenix), they are two of the finest peolple I know.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hi gang I haven't updated this post in a couple of days due to some computer problems I've had going making pretty tough to do. Good news! I just got off the phone with the man himself!!! Ronnie got sent down to the second floor yesterday, which is general care. No more ICU stuff! He's having some difficulty with breathing, and they might keep him over the weekend to track this, but he is definitely on the mend. He wanted to send his regrets to all of those who tried to visit him over the last week and were asked not to. It has been a kind of a touch and go week in that respect. Sounds like next week he will be home, but knowing Ron a new battle will begin. Ron is like most of car guys in that a little pain is a minor thing to be worked through. My fear is that he will try to over extend in doing all the stuff he does. As friends here in town all we can do is keep an eye out and be ready if he needs a hand with things.
    You can't believe how happy I am to be typing this report. If you don't know this guy and have a chance to meet him, take it! He and Jan are some of the best...
    Thanks, Chip Quinn

30. Mike

Mike

Hell Ya! Great news, Chip. Thanks for the update.

Ronnie and Jan are just plain tops!