Register now to get rid of these ads!

cutting front coils spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BLUDICE, Oct 2, 2010.

1. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

A little shoebox help here please. I know this won't be exact, but when cutting coils to lower a car, how much does 1 cut coil equal, in inches.

2. squirrel

squirrel

The first coil doesn't do as much as the second...the first should give you a couple inches, then each 1/2 of a coil after that will also give you a couple inches. So sneak up on it, don't try for the whole drop on the first go, or you might be buying new springs. Also let it settle, drive for a week or so after the first cut, before you decide it needs more.

3. jonnyonedrip

jonnyonedrip
    from canada

if you cut a full rung you usually have to pull the spring out to get out the piece. if you cut halves usually you can fish the pieces out if you use a spring compressor just to take the tension off i have had good luck with just torching the pieces off but a cut off wheel works great too its a yucky job but the results are awsome. remember its not low enough unless something is draggin.

4. temper_mental

temper_mental
    from Texas

Remember after you put the coils back in the car the car will lower more over time. I never used a torch I always took the spring out and cut it with a cut off wheel. Good luck

5. 8FLEET9

8FLEET9
    from MASS.

don't cut more than a coil outta that car. the lower control arm will get in to the bumpstop mount hard real quick. you'd be much better off modifying the lower control arm spring pocket to lower it.

6. canman

canman

Cutting the spring also increases the spring rate. Handling may be effected differently than you wish.

7. squirrel

squirrel

Increasing the spring rate, at the same time you decrease travel, is generally a good thing.

8. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

there is nothing wrong with cutting it with a torch. you'll only affect the temper in the first inch next to the cut. Its a whole helluva lot faster too, especially if your "sneaking up on it". 30 seconds a cut versus 2 min a cut doesn't sound like much until you do it 4 times per coil.

9. canman

canman

Depends. It could prevent bottoming which as you say would be a benefit. It will increase ride stiffness and that may not be a good thing. It will also change the roll couple and if the car is not just a cruiser but a performance car that may not be good.

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Depending on how low you are wanting to go I'd say at least 1 full coil to start with then maybe more. Here is a stock spring that has been sagged with a torch compared to an Aerostar spring right out of the box the Aroestar spring drop about 2 1/2 inches

Attached Files:

11. Why not just spend a $100 and buy the shorter coils that will give you the proper spring rate and drop you need. Otherwise if you want to do it cheap, just heat the coils with a torch to get your drop.

12. It is illegal to use cut or heat drop springs here in NZ.
    Your car will be immediately put off the road
    or confiscated.

13. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

Sagging springs with a torch is about the dumbest thing ever, but i don't get why its illegal to cut em with a torch. A lot of people shy away for a torch because they don't have a clue how to use them, then they F something up and blame the torch.

14. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I cut one and a half coils off my 49 springs years ago. The only time I ever noticed anything was in a turn doing about 25 mph coming down a hill. I made the left and felt a bump on the snubber on the far side. No trouble with bump steer etc. I had the original springs but they were in really good shape. I think when you take two coils off your getting into the problem area.

I forgot I have a good side shot of my 49 in my album. Its running 205/75R 15"

15. Our very informed officials from Govt see one or two bad examples of a job badly done then they set laws in place to punish "Everybody" :mad:
    Doesn't that happen over there?

16. canman

canman

Yes but usually a politicians brother or some family member has to be in the business that benefits. Of course it could just be they themselves that benefits also

17. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

You can't just start with some $60 aerostar springs and see how you like them?

18. fathead429

fathead429
    from Yuma, AZ

When I had springs in my coupe...I cut 1 1/2 coils out of brand new 50 ford springs with no problems...unless I tried to go all "dukes of hazzard" in my coupe. Probably wouldnt go 1 1/2 out of old springs though with all the sag from wear and tear from the last 60 years. If I had to do it over again, would definatly go with the aeorstarts as a start. Cant beat the price.

19. lincolnlog

lincolnlog
    from Arizona

I have some of these*new* that I would sell, that didn't hold up the the massive weight of the lincoln!! bumpstops!:eek: