Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cell Phone Most DANGEROUS Tool in the Shop - Don't Text and Hot Rod - Not Traditional

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SakowskiMotors, Oct 2, 2010.

1. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

:DA Safety Point to think about.........
    Hopefully this can save / help someone
    Funny thing is, it really is that serious... Like texting and driving..

Almost every incident ( that could have killed someone in the shop or someone on the road b/c ) in the last 7 years in the shop has been traced down to people using the cell phone in the shop or it buzzing in their pocket and texting, getting distracted, and forgetting something.

That is what no cell phone in the shop policy.

I leave mine in the office if I am working on something.

I think a cell phone is the most dangerous piece of equipment in the shop.

I do understand if you are working alone, turn the buzzer and ringer off, and don't look at it unless you are outside.

I bet that if you looked at people's home and work shops, that cell phone distraction can be traced to a lot of incidents or left loose bolts etc.
    cuts, injuries, etc.

A phone in your pocket Turned OFF for emergencies IF you are by yourself is a debate, but that is it.

One for the traditional police to enforce :)= CELL PHONES IN THE SHOP OR DRIVING YOUR HOT ROD IS NOT TRADITIONAL
    Definitely not cool.

I know I can't work on things with a cell phone safely/correctly. But a lot of people are more experienced and skilled than me.

A friend of mine has a cell phone jammer hidden in his shop.
    He says it is great b/c loud customers have to walk out side, and employees can't get service.

So So Funny. He tells me over a beer at the end of the day, about all the loud customers walking around in circles holding their phones up like zombies, and new employees always walking around trying to get service until they give up and just work.
    It is a metal fab shop, with lots of things that will cut your arm off quick.

I am going to get one and keep it in my book bag.

Definition of Multi Tasking = Doing many things poorly.

Have Fun

Wil
    www.sakowskimotors.com
    www.ridefree.com

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  2. chryco

chryco
    from Winnipeg

Try a "Bluetooth" ?

3. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

4. Model A Mark

Model A Mark
    from dallas
    1. Holley 94 Group

my open faced grinder with the cut off wheel, is the most dangerous thing in my shop, besides me, hah..
    im smarter than my phone..

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

I'm sure some cell phone idiot will get hurt or hurt some inocent person at Hershey this week.

6. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I guess some of us are just smarter or more capable than others. Having a phone in my pocket be it turned on or off is no distraction, it is surprisingly easy to ignore it.
    Hell I even carry one while working in the ER and no one got killed!!

Doc.

7. Deuces

Deuces

I had the texting feature disabled when we first got our new phones... I have no use for that crap! :mad: ... The ol' lady had hers turned on months down the line.. I told her that she was nutz!

8. 61 Tx Cat

61 Tx Cat

Now thats Funny!!!!:D:D:D

9. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

I wear my phone on my belt and have a Bluetooth® in my ear. It is not a distraction when I'm playing (garage or hangar) and it's a necessity for work (I'm not as retired as I think I am). As previously stated in this thread, you need to be smarter than the phone. Folks that are capable and experienced in 'multi-tasking' have a way of immediately discerning what is a worthwhile distraction and what is not. I do not answer my phone when I'm in line at any store, I do not answer my phone if I'm in a conversation with anyone else at all. It's merely a convenience to be available, not a command to respond. Be smart - if you're using dangerous tools, don't fumble for your phone or your earbud. Is the wall phone in your shop disconnected? Sure wouldn't want anyone that's unbolting a bumper bracket to be distracted.

Seems by your suggestion that anyone and everyone needs a personal assistant/secretary to answer their calls...then just sit there until you're available to sift through them.

dj

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

having a cell phone on you when working alone can save your life..but allowing it to distract you is a whole nother issue..dont be that simple minded and keep your mind on the task at hand 1st and foremost.

there are those that can and those that should never..its knowing the difference that counts

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The distracting part is talking on the damned thing and not paying attention to the shop rag that caught fire from the sparks from the welder.

Somewhere in my photo collection there is a photo of my brother standing on a ladder working on the new electrical panel he was installing on the side of my house with screw driver in one hand and cell phone up to his ear with the other. I'm glad I wasn't paying him for that job as he talked on the phone for 15 minutes for every ten minutes of work he got done.

My phone has a bad habit of calling people from my pocket. I keep getting these "hey it's your pocket speaking, shut off the damned phone" sounds out of my pocket from one of my buddies who just happens to be the first guy on my contact list. So the phone usually isn't on or with me out in the shop.

But they can be handy. When I was up working on the roof and the roll of tar paper rolled off and knocked the ladder down I was pretty happy that I had the phone on me to call my wife and have her put the ladder back up.

12. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It's normal for humans to believe that their personal skill set is superior to others. Today, dozens of people will go on with their normal day including their usual cell phone use. Every one of them will be completely confident in what they are doing..........and they WILL kill somone today. Of course, they have never killed anyone before. It's this mentality of control that is at the core of the danger.

13. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

you think the cell phones dangerous... try wearing a hooded sweatshirt "hoodie" with the strings still on it. nothing like being sucked into power tools or machines...

14. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

My cell phone is pretty cool I dont have to answer it if I dont want and it shows me whos calling so I can call them back when Im not busy. Modern technology blows me away!!

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really? How come every idiot on a cell has to scream into the things when in a public place? :mad:

16. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

I work alone, so my cell is always within reach.

If I'm busy I dont answer it, then later when things are calmer I push a button and it shows me who called.

17. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Shit, let's face it. Cell phones are distracting and a total pain in the ass and always ring or vibrate at the worst possible times. I had a 80 lb. container that I was strapping into a load , fly out and nail the shit out of my left shoulder last week just because as I was talking to my daughter , I pulled too hard on the strap , strap let go and grabbed the 80 lbs on its way out . Fucking phones never should have happened. Every time that damn thing rings I wanna throw it under a tire

18. Hmm..cell phone huh? I would think potentially a trouble light, grease pit, grinder, welder, floor jack, etc., would be more of a concern. When or if a cell phone distracts me that much, I will no longer carry one.

19. I think the word idiot pretty much answers that question.

One day someone at my work will say in mid sentence "excuse me" and start answering a text message. and I'll say "NO finish with me the text can wait..." fucking plain rude... Not sure when common manners went out the window. Most of the time they have come to me for answers/help but there Crackberry beckons them and I'm chopped liver. Get into rehab for your text addiction.

My HAMB addiction needs no treatment however :rolleyes:

20. Kramer

Kramer

Wow, how did some of you ever survive before cell phones.:D Yes cell phones have saved people who have been hurt and have had one with them. They have also caused many deaths and injuries from people being distracted, many times those involved are innocent people. But cell phones are here to stay, so just use common sense, for some people that does not come easily however.:D I myself have the ability to let it ring and not even look to see who is calling. (Drives my wife nuts.):)

21. pcterm2

pcterm2

dont have one ,dont want one

22. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I could see where it could be dangerous if you were texting the girlfriend that the Girlfriend doesn't know about...

23. 117harv

117harv

An angle grinder without a guard is dangerous, but i have stopped one as well as a diegrinder with my long hair...ouch. As another poster said, i hate it when your carrying on a conversation and someone stops to return a text. I also have friends that stop by the shop and either walk in talking and continue to do so for awhile , or right when they get to the shop they call someone and walk around the shop talking.

I don't own a cell, but suppose they have their place, and they won't be leaving anytime soon. I still wish someone would explain texting to me, why text when you can talk? This is like pushing your hot rod instead of driving it, it's reverse technology.

Rant over sorry.

24. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ha ha most of this is funny...but true in a scary kind of way. I'm an electrician and I was trouble shooting a live piece of equipment had my hand in the control pannel when a relay energized with a loud click at the same time my phone vibrated...almost shit myself..I don't have it on vibrate anymore.:eek:

25. Sometimes I have mine, I don't get range in the shed so it doesn't really matter. It makes a handy calculator, light, camera, second set of eyes(video camera) and note taker. When I'm in a shed with range it's set to vibrate so I never notice it anyway.

Thanks

Hayden

26. Greezeball

Greezeball

Ya can you imagine if all we had before was texting and all of a sudden you could actually hear the other person it'd be like "holy crap dude it's like you're right here. This is so rad!"
    Oh wait were't telegrams and morse code kinda the same as texting...stop:D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  27. hollowpoint

hollowpoint

i kinda agree with you will, to a point.
    i work at robinson helicopter in torrance and believe me, a cell phone can get you in a big mess if you use it on the job. the FAA and DOT frown on cell phone use while building helicopters, they are kinda funny that way.
    they feel that they are a distraction when safety is a major concern and i feel the same way.
    there is a time and place for cell phone use and on the job is neither.
    my 2 cents worth.
    and we miss you here in so cal will.

later dudes
    chuck

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I hear your point on this. However if this your responds to the thread about working alone. That cell phone could be your best and only friend. Just say'n.

29. 117harv

117harv

A local engine builder who i know was assembling a stock car engine and the cell rang, he began a long conversation. Long story short, i was at the track a week later and said engine made one lap or so and major damage was sustained. The builder was in the middle of assembling the bottom end wnen the call came, and never tightened/torqued the rod caps.

30. squirrel

squirrel

It's fun when I call my friend on his cell, and he says he's in a sign (generally he's in a bucket up in the air when this happens).

Good for you Wil