Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why do YOU build cars??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fergie059, Oct 2, 2010.

1. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

Just wondering why most of us build cars instead of buying them finished.As for me,with a stressful job,stressful life,its relaxing and prideful.As challanging as it can be from time to time,it well worth it to me to drive something Ive built.

2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

I for one can't afford a done car, and if I could chances are I'd be changing things. Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something I think about.

4. Licensed to kill

Licensed to kill
    from Alberta

Interesting. I buy my cars pretty much finished then make a few changes to personal taste rather than building..........because it is more cost effective. The big downside is that you can't get it EXACTLY the way you would like so there are always compromises. If I could afford to, I would sooner build a car myself so I could have exactly what I want.

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Personalization. No matter HOW much one spends on a factory made car....you still run the chance of seeing one just like it someday in traffic. Not the case with hot rods, customs or other homebuilts.

Look at some of the more well-known cars....they're never called by the CURRENT owners name...usually by the guy that built it - even the Doane Spencer clone is eponymous to the great man who constructed the original. Consider the customs that are in the hands of their umpteenth owner - the "Hirohata Merc" for example.

That's why we do this. Because we can....and because we MUST.

dj

6. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

beats the shit out of a cocaine habit

7. Yeah, black boogers instead of white!

8. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what else to do... All I think about is building cars. I get personal satisfaction out of it when I drive it, but being able to design my own car from the ground up and incorporate what I think looks good is what I like most about building cars. I think the design aspect is why I have shifted from hot rods to customs as of late as well.

9. Morrisman

Morrisman
    from England

I like building stuff. The fun and interest I have building, planning, defeating obstacles, the 'challenges and opportunities' are worth more to me than the finished project, and driving it.

10. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Cheaper than a DUI or having a wife and a girlfriend :eek:. It also get me out of the house :D

11. flatblackindustries

flatblackindustries
    from Ogden, UT

True, but the "drip" is much worse.

The build has always been more of a high for me than the show.

12. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Personal satisfaction. My life is great, has it's challenges, successes and failures but building rods is the one thing that I almost entirely control. Few others really appreciate what it takes but that doesn't matter, it's the challenge within myself.

I built a harley last winter just because, didn't really want or need one and then rode it once and sold it. But I get to tell myself "look what you can do" and actually get amused by the bewilderment of non-car people. Other accomplishments in life are intertwined with family, jobs, faith, or a million things. This one is mine alone.

Plus I tried hunting and and golfing and discovered I suck at both. Building rods keeps me home too.

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

artistic outlet..creative outlet,bringing a vision to life..sometimes..
    sometimes just for the fun of it, and the challenge

14. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

It's why Im here......

15. neonloverrob

neonloverrob
    from newton, ks

I haven't graduated to the "building" phase yet. I'm still in the "collecting shit so someday I can build" phase.:D

16. Its all I know..

17. So I can cut the s*** out of myself, burn clothes and skin with a torch, bash knuckles, breath noxious fumes, shower my eyes with dirt and rust, and generally have a BLAST !! There's nothing like it!!!

18. Hmmm.....well I did not start out buying finished amt models:D, I like the build process. However, it is time consuming, finding a car to your taste is also time consuming, and you will change something. I am driven by the dream, the design and your desired result. The first car I painted was black lacquer and I did well in the ISCA, I was in my late teens and that was long time ago. It still sticks with me. I just hope the good Lord grants me the time to finish my dreams.:)

19. It makes me think and keeps my mind sharp. Whats better,sitting in front of the TV and acting like a zombie or creating something that requires both mental and physical effort and when done is something you can be proud of.

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Cause I'm kinda dumb that way! Also, it's a family curse handed to me by my father...

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

I have no clue ,I guess its because I can ..................................

22. fergie059

fergie059
    from ohio

:D me too

23. Because I'm a sick puppy and a glutton for punishment. You all are too!! Ain't it nice? :D

24. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Some people don't know why they build mountains out of mashed potatoes. I have to rearrange old car parts.

25. Building cars is more of a passion. I thought it was just a hobby but then I couldn't quit..but now I have a shop its hard to work on my own cars...between customers and friends cars I can't find time for any of my projects...there is just something about blood , sweat , and tears .....oh and metal shavings and argon gas.

26. 117harv

117harv

Having the project is what makes me happy, finishing it isn't something i think about.

Posted by, (The37Kid). This should be someones sigature!

So I can cut the s*** out of myself, burn clothes and skin with a torch, bash knuckles, breath noxious fumes, shower my eyes with dirt and rust, and generally have a BLAST !! There's nothing like it!!!

Posted by (coololdcars). Have you been watchig me?

27. squirrel

squirrel

No one else would build it right.

28. 61falcon

61falcon

because they dont build themselves. someone needs to invent the chia rod. water it and watch it grow. in just 2 weeks you can be crusin in your very own chia rod. yes, i'm that bored today!!

29. dsr_54

dsr_54

I went from building racecars to building old cars.... I'm just a car guy.

30. jesse1980

jesse1980

i think its an undiscovered addiction, carprojectaphobia. i just cant stop.