Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cameras we use for shows

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greaserchief, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A Nikon Cool pix L22 is what I am using currently. Simple point and shoot that will take videos with sound and is hell for simple to operate. And it uses AA batteries and an SD card so that keeps things super simple. No worries about the battery going dead and needing charged right when you are in the middle of walking through a show or a high dollar and hard to get card for it. at 12 meg I can get more photos on a 4 gig card than I can manage to take in a day or weekend and it can do quite a bit of video on that card.

But yes I do want a pro quality camera one of these days.

2. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Those are dam nice shots for a cell phone! Love the cat with the TP!!

3. sony cybershot, great point and shoot ! Set on auto and just shoot away !

4. Karrera

Karrera

I use a Canon 1DS Mk2 - full frame pro level DSLR with good glass - my favorite is the 24-70 f2.8L lens for car shows. Its heavy and after two years I'm still learning how to use it but what a great camera - capabilities way beyond mine.

[​IMG]

5. thats f'n rad....i'd like to see that in black n white and underexposed....mmmmmm

6. Domn8r

Domn8r
    from Helena, MO

Nikon D200 with either a Sigma 70mm-200mm f 2.8 or a Sigma 18mm-50mm f 2.8 lens depending on the situation.

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Amenbrother!
    i burned out HARD and walked away from my studio in 87. I was published with 2 front page Mag shoots and blah blah blah. Gave away my mamiya RB 6x7 Pro S and my Pentax ME Super. Ithought I would never shoot again. Having kids got the throw away digitals in my hand and slowly got me going again. Building cars and going to shows got the old juices flowing and I bought a Nikon D40 also. I'm having a little troube running a camera like this but am gettin there! Heres a shot i did this year down in Utah.

Attached Files:

8. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Interesting thread. I'm currently using a Nikon D-50, older model and something of a dinosaur among digitals but I was able to keep and use all but one of my prior Nikon-mount lenses and it has a 1/500-sec. flash sync speed. I've also taken a fair number of very satisfactory photos with a cheap Samsung 3.2 megapixel point-and-shoot. So you guys are right - it's not the camera you use. It's knowing HOW to use the camera.

Earlier this year, I finally broke down and sold two of my film cameras - a Nikon FM2 and a beautiful Zeiss-Ikon Super Ikonta 532. Hadn't used either of them in over five years... :(

The other camera I used a lot in the past is a Mamiya C-22 medium format (120) twin lens reflex. It's the first camera I ever owned. Got it when I was in junior high, it's beat to hell but still works just fine. After reading these posts I may have to dig out some of the 15-year-old B&W film I have stored in my fridge and have some fun!

9. Camera preference runs the gamet from cheap cell phones to high-end dlsr with great glass. There really is a lot of great photographic talent on this board.

Thanks Ryan for letting this thread contintue. Lots of good information.

10. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

11. Spike!

Spike!

My name is Spike and I have an old camera problem.. up to well over 100 old film cameras.. everything from the first series of box cameras to an 8x10 Kodak Master.. three Crown Graphics 4x5's, one of which has shot a feature for Rodder's Journal in the dead of winter because everything else couldn't take the cold... I shoot film every now and then, but only for myself anymore. Magazines don't really want 6x7 transparencies anymore.. I have 2 Pentax 6x7's and several TLR 120 cameras... My main baby is my Nikon D300, but for the past seven years it was my Fuji S2 Pro. It still works but it must have a billion actuations on the shutter....I'm scared its gonna break...

Spike

12. Well the first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem.
    Nah screw that old cameras take better pics IMHO:)

13. i know when i quit drinkin', they encouraged us to get rid of all our booze and booze related stuff around the house...i'm glad you have the courage to confront this camera problem head on. I want to help you. I encourage you to box up those cameras and mail them to 1110 pine street, martinez, ca. 94553. Once here, they can't trouble you any more lol

14. THE SPEED ADDICT

THE SPEED ADDICT

Maybe, Ryan should set up a photo contest for us photo bugs! Auto related, full car or a part. A description of the equipement used and settings, and what the scene is all about. Should be a new photo and submitted by a set date. The posting could be a poll and the posters could vote for their favorite pic! Maybe the winner would win a H.A.M.B. shirt.

Anyone else interested?

What ya think, Ryan?

15. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Contests suck.

16. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Lets just stick to sharing information and different photo styles. There's some great looking stuff in this thread.

17. ditto.... i hate surf contests too. im not takin pics competitively, i do it cause i love it. i see the idea behind it though, but naw. i'd rather just think my pics rule instead of find out that i'm dreaming lol

18. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Contest, no. Showcase?, that could be a fun exploration of the talent that is obviously out here in the HAMB.

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

HAhahahhaha....well said. I prefer fantasy to reality as well! I like living in my delusional world.

20. tanalised

tanalised

I hacksawed and recapped this Polaroid colorpak 80 to create a "Pinholaroid"; a pinhole camera that use Polaroid pack film, works well. have used for a couple of shows
    [​IMG]
    pinholaroid by tanalised, on Flickr

should have added: f stop is calculated at f143 & focal length is 13mm in 35 mm terms

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  21. hey guy i am bringing this back up. i have a sony a-390 dslr. i am wanting a good walk around lense any sugestions?

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Since my last post on this thread I have picked up an old Nikon 8008. Shooting Fuji 400 or 100 slide film and scanning at home. Tip of the hat to Fur Bisquit. Slim

23. Abomination

Abomination

A showcase is a great idea, but might not need it's own thread. It might be better to just flood the Friday Art Show instead. :D

~Jason