Register now to get rid of these ads!

Young Mechanics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironpile, Oct 1, 2010.

1. ironpile

ironpile

Don`t you just love it when a young fella tells you what is wrong,causing premature tire wear,when you have more years of alignment experience than he has been alive,and he`s wrong. I just bite my tongue and press on,knowing he will get it someday.:confused::D

2. brad chevy

brad chevy

I make it a point to correct them on the spot,only way they"ll learn anything,but some are so hardheaded they will never learn.

3. choptop37

choptop37

Why dont you do somthing about it {constructive} instead of going on the internet to bitch about it?, not every one is born knowing everything, and some times a lesson can be learned by seeing instead of reading it in a book...

4. x2 on that..

5. nwaringa

nwaringa

Don't you just love it when a old fella knows a ton about older vehicles and is a smug jerk that would rather laugh to himself than teach. Hell he will not be around to not see the '32 3 window driving around in 40 years so what does it matter.

6. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

I agree. I keep my mouth shut most of the time, and most old fellas iv met are real jerks when it comes to young kids and old cars.

I got in an argument once weather or not flatheads ever came with 4 inch cranks with an old fart once. When i mentioned the lincoln even had a 377 flathead, he said not possible and walked away.

I think his medication wore off or somthing.

7. Erixon

Erixon

I can imagine that'd be frustrating.

It's also frustrating when some people from an older generation seem hellbent on torching the bridge to their hobby behind a younger, equally as interested generation.

Ignorance is annoying, regardless of age I reckon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  8. seetz

seetz

he was actually right, it's a 337

9. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

damn kids.

10. 61bone

61bone

Sometimes those young whippersnappers that don't know jack come up with some insights that I never thought of. Teach if you can, but learn a little along the way to. My granddad said if you don't learn something new everyday, your lifes over.

11. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

thats what i ment. Hit the wrong keys on the keybored.

he didnt believe me that mercurys got 4 inch cranks in the last few years of the flathead v8

12. When I was young we had what they called the generation gap.
    I'm glad to see that nothing has changed.

What my favorite is the young fella with all the little plaques and certificates hanging in his bay that can't figure out why an old Corvette won't rev and when you ask what the points are gapped at he says "What are those?"

His time is based on 60.00 per hour so the answer to that question should be worth a cheese burger, wouldn't ya think?

13. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

x3:rolleyes:

14. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

It pisses me off when people in general are intent to bitch and bicker about any generation rather than to at least attempt to dispatch some information in a constructive way. :mad:

IE, I am glad you have more years on front end alignment experiance than he was years old...sure was nice of you to offer your wisdom to a younger generation and keep the tradition alive.

Instead you judged him on the spot as a not worthy punk. People like you make me sick. I sure am glad the older gents that I hang with are not so quick to judge. Maybe he wont "get it" due to old asses like you deciding he is not worthy of your vast knowledge.

Sorry about the rant, but I am tired of "kids" being judged and found un-worthy when it is so easy to spark interest and pass knowledge to them. People like you would see the end of this hobby.

15. Not too shabby for a punk 19year old kid, huh?
    :D

16. Most of you young fellas are alright. Just like most of us old fellas are alright.

Now if you repeat that I'll have to say that I am not part of most.

17. I wonder how long this thread will be open? Ha Ha!

18. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

My guess...not to much longer! :D

19. nwaringa

nwaringa

I guess this topic didn't have the reception you might have been looking for. Maybe the Internet is not the best place to act like an old grouch. :p

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  20. I am sure I knew everything when I was 18 but by listening to the old guys I know even less now.

21. choptvan

choptvan

Fukn annoying. What did he tell you? Or are you one of those know-it-all type of cats that can't begin to figure it out to save his own ass? Is that why you are only bitching instead of posting what he said? Put your knowledge to the test. Let's see if you were right.

22. Yep, the one yesterday about stupid people got shut down right smartly....

23. That was a copy and paste from a sig line above. It repeats itself, every time he makes a post.
    I'm a 56 year old fella. :D

24. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

Hell, I am not even 30 and I try to learn from anyone I can...but when people pull that crap it gets me going.

25. Me too, and I guess its OK I'm good at looking dumb.

26. God bless your heart. :cool:

27. nwaringa

nwaringa

Join the rest of us young pups. ;)

28. switchkid0

switchkid0

When I was a teenager, I thought my Dad didn't know shit.
    Now that I'm nearly 40, I'm surprised by how much he has learned.

That's paraphrased, but I can't remember where I got the quote from.

It has really stuck with me. I learned quite a bit from my Pops just this morning.

29. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

My father was a very talented local (Long Island) race car builder & driver and an engine builder with an extraordinary touch. That being said he also got to the point in the mid 60's where he had everything pretty much figured out and no longer needed input or ideas...he thought he knew what had to be done, how to do it and keep your ideas to yourself.

A few nuggets that stick with me today 40+ years after he uttered them:
    1) When you know as much as me then you can think for yourself
    2) You know it doesn't happen often, but occasionally you have a good idea.
    3) You know what the problem is? you try to think for yourself.

My father in law however had an important credo he always kept and told others- It is very important to have a teachable spirit.

That statement cuts across all generations. I personally consider myself to be a better engine machinist than my father ever was for this very reason.

Confidence in my abilities and attention to fit and finish of an engine is only part of the equation. I am full aware that there are plenty of innovative thinkers that I can learn from...if I listen and learn.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  30. ironpile

ironpile

I was in no position to stir the stuff,I was trading cars at the time and was getting a good deal.It is a good idea to correct them if they will listen.