Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lost Art: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Thanks Ryan, that man is beyond description, Makes me feel small in my accomplishments by comparsion,, Wow!!!!,,,,Sam

2. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Great find Ryan, inspiring.

I'm tired of using the digital pen and want to go back to ink and paper.

Here's a good link to some more talented craftsmen doing the same and gives a little how too:
    http://www.theletterheads.com/

3. Time as you say is a wonderful thing and spending the time watching this video was definitely time well spent. Looking forward to Lost Art: Part 3

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Just speachless. The best part for me was when he ran the bush across his hair to pick up the leaf. My Dad told me that my Grandpa did that when he did lettering.

5. tjackson

tjackson
    from Oregon

A truly amazing artist and a great film!

6. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Great video! I love finding out about trades and crafts that I knew nothing about, particularly if I can see the work of somebody who's really good at it.

Thanks, Ryan!

7. MODELA30

MODELA30

I have had the opportunity to shake the hand of some great artists in my life. I owe this lad one!!!!!! Knuck from indiana.

8. He who works with his HANDS is a Laborer...

He who works with his Hands and Mind is a Craftsman...

He who works with his Hands... Mind ... and Soul is an Artist...!

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Late last night I watched some guys that make art out of glass ,They were glass blowers ,It was interesting ,So many things are becoming more of a lost art.

10. He Really captures the beauty and grandeur of this old-fashioned art form.
    Such brilliance and dazzling performance! I am deeply impressed!

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Amazing talent. Great passion. I was glued to the screen. That was inspiring.

12. mgbtc

mgbtc

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Very nice . Thanks so much.

13. Incredible! It is always a treat to see a journeyman or master of any given trade work. Making the seemingly impossible look easy.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  14. A true master craftsman, great video, thanks for posting!

15. I've known Dave Smith, or at least known of him for a couple of years. He's a fellow contributor at iStockphoto and sells some of his incredible scrollwork there. He designed his own gilders tip a few years ago and to show me how well it worked he sent me a couple links for some videos showing it in use. He mentions in this video about his daughter learning to use it readily, and here's the proof. I about split my sides laughing every time she turns and smiles into the camera after perfectly laying another sheet of gold onto the glass. :D

<object width="500" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFTwilXtpc8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XFTwilXtpc8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US&amp;rel=0&amp;color1=0x3a3a3a&amp;color2=0x999999&amp;border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="500" height="405"></embed></object>

With Dave's guidance, this artform isn't due to die out anytime soon.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  16. meteor

meteor

wow. I'm inspired...thanks for that.

17. edweird

edweird

That is a great video. Seems like the more technology advances the less we have to use our brains. And thats a damn shame!

18. beauishere

beauishere

Ryan,

I don't agree that these posts are off topic. The folks on this forum strive for a life style that includes a lot of the traditions, values and aspects of the past. Acknowledging craftsman's contributions to the sort of environment that we strive to drive through could not be more on topic.

Seems to me anyways.

Aloha

19. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

mmmmmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm

20. it makes me want to go out to the garage and start practicing, and practicing,and then practice some more.

21. nvr2lo

nvr2lo

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Bodger45

Bodger45

Inspiring. Thanks

23. All I can say is wow! Who would have thought...a feel good movie about sign making. That is very inspirational. He has such an artistic talent and kickass craftsmanship. I thought the first video was good....this one blows it away.

Ryan, please bring us more like it!

24. Green49Ford

Green49Ford

Thanks Ryan that was awesome.

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

P.H.E.N.O.M.I.N.A.L.

thank you for sharing!

26. gh331

gh331
    from australia

Thanks Ryan and thank you very much David kep up the good work you have made a old man very happy this was my old job thanks again

27. I know I'm dragging this one out of the archives, but every time I watch this video I get inspired. Watching Dave Smith at work is incredible. I have never seen anyone with his talent doing what he does. Absolutely amazing.

If you have never seen this video, you MUST watch it. It is mesmerizing.

I would rather watch the Lost Art videos than watch anything on regular TV. If anyone has any new videos regarding any lost art, please post them up! These threads should be a sticky for all of us guys who need a creative nudge every once in awhile. There are some amazingly talented folks out there that nobody has ever heard of.

Here's a few I found this morning after a few minutes of searching:
    Woodgraining
    http://vimeo.com/24938567

Not a craftsmanship video, but a cool video of a guy providing a great service to craftsmen
    http://vimeo.com/31575162

Some outstanding gold leaf and striping work on a motorcycle gas tank
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnOp0R4A0QA&feature=fvwrel

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011