Register now to get rid of these ads!

disc brake conversion kit for 8 lug set up on a 57 chevy truck?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DG Racing, Oct 1, 2010.

1. DG Racing

DG Racing

is there a disc brake conversion kit for 8 lug set up on a 57 chevy truck?

i done research and i fund nothing ? :confused:

2. squirrel

squirrel

Not surprising. No one hot rods 3/4 tons

3. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

But there are some later model Chevrolet/GMC vehicles with disc brakes that use a 8 lug wheel. Maybe you could adapt the rotors and make a caliper bracket ... or adapt the spindle from one of those vechicles to your 57 truck.

I have NEVER done it ... but then like squirrel said ... I have never tried to hot rod a 3/4 ton Chevrolet truck.

:eek:

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It comes pre-installed on the the Camaro clip.;)

5. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

disk rears are a joke anyway, it's not like you gain anything, besides the brake dust gets your wheels dirty faster

6. squirrel

squirrel

I did a quick look at the bearing sizes to do this on my 57 one ton a couple months ago, it doesn't work out....the spindle fits ball bearings, the disc brake rotors use roller bearings, and they are not the same sizes, and I didn't see any other bearings listed in the BCA book that would come close to fitting.

Probably the easiest way to get modern stuff on it would be to find a motorhome or HD 3500 front axle....

7. DG Racing

DG Racing

i will look for the HD 3500 front axles specs.
    thanks .

but it might be wider then the 1957 ??

8. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, it probably is.

Back when the trucks could only go about 50 mph, the drum brakes were fine....I guess times have changed.

9. HD2500 from 90s with straight axle is for sure wider. it will fit under a 67-72 truck though for a comparision....could always cut it in the middle, mill flat spots and bolt it together with plates on each side...do at your own risk.

10. DG Racing

DG Racing

[​IMG][​IMG]And my truck will haul a 24 ft close trailer also

11. I have a set of 3/4 ton rotors off of an 1982. $75.00 you pay shipping >>>>.

12. and the brakes are?????

FNGs.....

13. squirrel

squirrel

I sent the whole front suspension from an 86 3/4 suburban to the scrap yard not long ago...didn't see any easy way to use it. But I saved the rear end and leaf springs.

Here's my beauty, single wheel one ton (3800). I'd want to get a 40 series or larger to put a car on, but this would work ok as a camper, or something. I don't really have much use for the flatbed.

Attached Files:

14. DG Racing

DG Racing

my truck has original brakes .

And i will received my truck next week i just bought it this week on the HAMB and i will received it next week in NY .

so starting next week i will check if i can put a complete suspension (crossmenber ) of a 1987 3/4 ton .

like that i will keep the frames original and have regular brakes ans suspension in the front .

but i dont have the speck on the 1957 frames but i think that it is only 1/2 inch difference beetwhen a 1957/1987 ???

15. squirrel

squirrel

The rear part of the frame is the same width, but the front is quite different. The newer frames go in and up at the front, the old frames are pretty much straight and flat. The area where the front crossmember attaches is six inches narrower on the 87 frame! (I just went and measured the front frame on my 87 3/4 ton suburban to confirm)

The original brakes actually work pretty well if you fix them...but that takes time, money, and some slightly harder to find parts.

Mister E. likes this.
  16. I do have the spindles too !!! >>>>.

17. squirrel

squirrel

And the kingpins? ;)

18. squirrel

squirrel

This is the spindle, notice the inner bearing seat is pretty small, and the outer seat is a bit bigger than the threads. I think that a disc rotor using tapered roller bearings could be adapted. It would take some work, such as turning the spindle to make the outer seat a bit smaller, and making a spacer to fit on the inner seat.

A day spent working with a lathe could probably make it work, if you're so inclined.

Attached Files:

19. Jim, isn't the track a bit wider on your suburban than on the old truck even if the frame is narrower?

20. DG, no disrespect but I think the only way that trucks original brakes are going to haul at enclosed 24ft trailer is if it is filled to the floor with helium balloons!!!...and keep it at 38mph..;)

Rustahaulic likes this.
  21. squirrel

squirrel

Trailer brakes are a good thing. The truck should only have to stop itself and the load on it, right? They put pretty big brakes on the back of those trucks when they rated them to carry more weight, mine has 12" front brakes and 14" rear brakes.

22. DG Racing

DG Racing

no it wont have helium balloons!!!... in it :)

it will have a 1937 topolino in it for racing

that why in looking to change the brakes on it

Maybe possible to attach the spindle from the 1990 HD on the 1957 axle ??

and my last choice it to use a dodge Dakota frame direct under the truck but it wonk be a 3/4 ton no more :(

23. DG Racing

DG Racing

What is the track on the 1957 3/4 truck compare to a 1987 3/4 ?

24. squirrel

squirrel

They did get wider over the years. Mine is a 4x4 so it's even wider than a 2wd.

25. DG Racing

DG Racing

squirrel can you mesure on you 1957 the track ?

i can go mesure the track on my 1987 3/4 at the garage to compare
    thanks

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I haven't had need to look into it but you may be able to fit an 8 lug 4x4 front rotor to your 57 hub. mid 80's GM 4x4 trucks have rotors on the front that are separate from the hubs.

See if you can find a rotor that you don't have to pay for or pay much for. Say a throw away at a brake shop and figure out if it will fit. If it looks like it will work then you can get new rotors.
    you might have to have some machining done, either on the hub, rotor or a spacer ring to center the rotor to make sure the rotor is correctly centered on the hub. If it will fit the hub then you would have to come up with caliper brackets that bolted to the spindle. That may be a bit of a challenge but can be done. You would still be stuck with the ball bearing front bearings but if you keep them packed and adjusted they tend to hold up ok.

27. squirrel

squirrel

With stock wheels (1/8" offset, almost nothing) they measure 61" center to center. The old Chevy enginering data shows 61.62" front tread

Good idea on the 4x4 rotor, I forgot all about that...even though I looked into doing it with the 1/2 ton many years ago. I'm getting old

edit: although thinking about it a minute or two, I'll probably keep the drums on mine, since my 4x4 disc brake equipped V20 suburban doesn't really stop very well!

28. DG Racing

DG Racing

ok i just mesure a 1987 and the track is 65 inch and its 74 1/2 wide total exterior of tires

what is the total of your 1957 exterior ?

29. seetz

seetz

I'm running the original drums on my 1 ton 8 lug. hauled heavy trailers with it (1950 Buick on a car hauler for example). works just fine, just pretend you're a semi truck and don't drive like you have a 2500 pound disc-disc sedan. you got big drums for a reason: they got stopping power for a heavy truck

30. DG Racing

DG Racing

Does somebody know something about this truck ?

this is what i would like to do :D

Attached Files: