Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lost Art: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

All I can say is wow
    People like that make me feel worthless and weak

crazy cool

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

Incredible work, what a true artist. Very inspiring to say the least.

4. BLAKE

BLAKE

I now realize that I/we probably use the adjective 'beautiful' too frequently, when it's not really applicable.

His work is truly beautiful. Thanks for sharing this, RYAN.

5. 60'coupe

60'coupe

I love seeing people do the work that there passionate about.
    60'

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

7. Ned_Gob

Ned_Gob

I love learnin' something new about something old ! Nice find Ryan.

8. DoubleUc

DoubleUc
    from IL

The last two videos you have posted are the reason I stop by here!
    Thank you!

9. wrayeugene49

wrayeugene49
    from eugene,or

Wow....i've worked in a glass shop...done a little grinding and done many stained glass pieces.....this artist is impressive...what a shop...nice shop truck too..!!! definitely worth watching..!!!

10. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

What a great way to start off the day again!!

It would be really nice if this transgression back to the old ways could catch on with everyone but not in a way that it cheapens it.
    My friend(who is also a sign maker) just opened a tattoo shop in my towns center. He wanted to do a leafed front window and the town said no! town bylaws dont allow it...progress! right??:confused:
    its next to the pizza shop with two bud neons and an "open" l.e.d. sign

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Through much of high school I planned on being a sign writer, even worked in a shop after school. I was doing customer jobs after my first week, not too bad as I was only doing two hours a day after school. I had an apprenticeship organised there for once I had graduated, then the shop owner changed his mind.
    Told me he wouldn't give me the apprenticeship, it was a waste of time as vinyl was taking over. Told me to go use my talent somewhere else..........so I joined the Army!!
    Doc.

12. Mart

Mart

Wow.
    What a great video.
    Sublime talent.
    Mart.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

that was way bitchin'

14. WOW.....all I can say is.....WOW!

15. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

The Japanese people respect this sort of thing and the mainstream media there heralds these folks as national treasures. People like potters, swordmakers etc. Wouldn't it be something for our media to respect our hot rod and custom guys that way. Seems like the sort of work Larry Watson, Ed Roth, and all the others created should be reverred in the same way. Nice to see at least some art museums catching on to how grounbreaking this work really was and is. Maybe thats part of why we all like and appreciate these videos.

16. rick finch

rick finch

Incredible, lost art indeed!:cool:

17. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Very refreshing. A friend of mine was paralyzed at 19 and became a sign painter . He did a lot of the same.
    I like the way he had made tools to hold the glass while he manipulated it.
    I had another friend who lost an arm in an accident on a MC. He became one of the best restorers around.Undaunted by his handicap;he made similar tools and even used his feet.
    Gold leafing is a real art.I have a friend who does it on motorcycles.His technique has to change every few months as the compostion of clear does.

Thanks for sharing that.
    It is nice for people who work with their hands or wish they were working with their hands.

18. Excellent! Thanks for posting this.

19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

BAD ASS. Thanks Ryan. Stunning work. The bending of the glass in the kiln is awesome. Slim

20. selohssa

selohssa

These are some great videos. I think that most hot rodders are very creative people and can appreciate any arts that take that much skill and patients. Thank you for posting these videos.

21. heck he'e seems like a young lad ... what a work history already
    i'd pay good money for his castoff's
    prolly ain't any tho.....

makes me wanna practice my long hand cursive handwriting...
    the nuns would slap my desk with a yard stick alot for me to do better in grade school .. even hitting me directly did not keep me at it ...

this artist is wonderful and very interesting to watch...
    thanks

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

That is just totally amazing work ! To see how it is done is mind blowing to say the least . Incredible work and I hope that art is never lost or forgotten !
    I never knew it was done that way . I thought it was done with a small tool with a grinding wheel on it .
    I do remember seeing windows and mirrors like that when I was small back in the 50's but like many other things , someone finds a way to do it with a computer for next to nothing .
    I really don't think anything can reproduce that style and look of art besides another pair of gifted hands .
    Ryan , thanks for showing us such a truly beautiful form of art !

Retro Jim

23. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

<style>p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: Times; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> Thank you Ryan for posting this. Although OT the usual, as indicated by you in the article, it shows a respect for like minded individuals who love traditional &#8220;craft&#8221; and &#8220;craftsmanship&#8221;. These once common everyday practices are, and will, disappear and eventually shall become like ancient practices that are dug up studied and put on a shelf as the world moves on. Once again the only real constant is change.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  24. rubens

rubens

Thanks for sharing!! Nice film!:)

25. Church

Church
    from South Bay

I just woke up and already feel inadequate about my skills. Thanks Dude.

26. Von Franco

Von Franco

I just threw all my brushes in the GARBAGE, OUTSTANDING THANKS.................

27. dustdevil

dustdevil
    from illinois

I thought the video link you posted last time about the mural artists was wicked cool but this one is right up there with it. I think this guy has more than a friday art show, he has a life art show. How cool of a job, glad to see he is trying to pass on his great knowledge of something so breathtaking. I have always wondered how they did some of that, truly awesome!!! I hope you find more inpirational videos to share with us, thanks Ryan!!:)

28. crook

crook
    from Winder,Ga

Yep...x's two.

29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That was too cool!
    When I was a kid, my grandfather, who was a very accomplished person in many different disciplines, Sat me down and said the following - "Why waste your time being a god damned hot rodder! If your not going to be a doctor or lawyer, at least be a sign maker!" I have remembered that conversation and retold it many times over the last thirty five year or so, but that video lit the light bulb in my head. That's what he meant! Those are the techniques he was taught in the twenties when he was apprenticing at sign making. Had this video been around thirty five years ago, that might have been pivotal in my thinking.
    As a hot rod builder, I like every body else here keep the flame of ways past alive every day, and consider my knowledge a stewardship. I too have waited for the old techniques and practices to come back in some small way, and I am seeing a bit of a push to people becoming disinterested in computer generated perfection and repetition. I wish I had that gents talents though...

30. 40yearslate

40yearslate
    from Denver, CO

wow, I suddenly want a piece of glass like that in my house.
    I agree, we need an indepth report on that shop truck.