Register now to get rid of these ads!

Cost of Pre-Fab Metal Buildings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harrison, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Jeff J

Jeff J

Build mine first a 50x60 then had to add on 40 x 100 and it's stick built! Don't want to know what i got in it but it does have a basement and a upstairs mancave ! Took 30 years to save for it and took me a year and a half to build doing most of it myself ! Built the walls 2x6 and insulatation to the hills ! My electric bill last month cooling it was $107.00 and it ran all month here in N.C. been hot and humid !!

Attached Files:

2. burnin8

burnin8
    from Manitoba

That's a helluva nice slice of paradise you've built for yourself!

3. jbtine

jbtine

I had this built in Ft Worth back in Feburary. It is 40x50 with a 24x40 carport. 12' walls. Turn key price including concrete..$50k
    DSCF1701-1.JPG

4. Dave B.

Dave B.

I had this built by Blitz Builders 4 years ago:
    [​IMG]
    It's a custom-design 50'x56' with 12' side walls. It's split 1/3 workshop, 2/3 storage and has 4 overhead doors so you can drive through either side. (This is my second time around at building a garage/shop and I learned the hard way on the first one... the drive-through feature was my first requirement!)

The crew Blitz sent to build it had it finished (less doors) in 3 days! The way they construct their pole buildings is that the site has to be graveled. They build the garage and then you pour the concrete into the floor area, which effectively surrounds the 'poles' in concrete.

I went with Blitz because a friend has one that suffered storm damage and Blitz was super helpful in getting the components to him to make the repair in a matter of days. They also hooked him up with a contractor who made the repairs quickly and did excellent work. It paid off for me because I had a leakage problem with the roof after 2 years. They sent a tech to my site for 2 days, fixed the problem and didn't charge me one cent!!!

The 'kit' was $33k including the price of erecting it. Excluding the cost of the land, I have about $60k in it so far, which includes the prep, building, electric service and concrete (including a huge driveway, which you can't see in the photo because you're looking at the back of the garage) and I figure I have about $15k to go before I'm finished. (I'm slowly doing the wiring, heat/AC and insulation myself).

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here locally at least, the little nickle paper has a bunch of adds from different builders of these style buildings.

I think that the first thing a guy needs to do is find out what the local building codes allow and require. The prices seem pretty competitive between different builders and sellers here and probably are in most regions of the country right now. You might also keep an eye out for recent shop buildings at other houses in the area and find out who built them and how the owner likes the building.

6. The Garage Journal
    has 100 times more info than what is posted here.
    Well worth the trip over there.

7. This thread has been exactly what I wanted. Many pics, prices, & pointers all in one thread eliminating the need to wade through an entire site dedicated to garages & anything remotely associated with them.

Thanks guys!

8. JSanford1974

JSanford1974

Outback makes a nice building. I worked with a Outback dealer out of Florida selling for awhile. I got tons of quotes. But people just ain't buying right now.

Building cost has so many variables. You really need to talk with a dealer and work out a quote on what you need/want.

9. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love my Morton building. It's 30X60. It has a wooden frame and metal exterior. They will build it to any stage you want. Since I was traveling and not able to do the work myself, I contracted most of it. They will come out and sit down with you, work up a spec and give you a quote for free. What I like about Morton is that you are dealing with the manufacturer, not some fly by night contractor who might be out of biz in a year or two.

www.mortonbuildings.com

Attached Files:

10. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

I was involved with pre fabbed metal buildings for over (40) years, but have been out of it for a while since I retired.
    Here are some things to consider on a metal building vs/ pole building.
    *Cost will be at least 40% more for a metal building
    *Check your local codes. Due to the design of a metal building you need either full footings, or heavy rods across the width to tie the bottom of the frames together.
    *Many codes will require full footings and walls for metal buildings
    *Pole buildings only require a hole in the ground for main posts. Make sure it is FILLED with concrete. No cookie pads on the bottom.
    *Pole buildings can be completed without any concrete. You can do that later, or not at all.
    *Metal buildings come in many slopes, as low a 1/4-12 where most pole buildings are either 3-12 or 4-12 pitch, so you could match your house, or other buildings.
    *actual clearances in metal buildings is much more, expecially in the middle, as their frames have a sloping bottom, where pole buildings have a flat bottom chord. (Parallel with the floor) making it tough to moung a hoist, etc.
    *Many other things to look at, but like I said, both good, but like buying a Hemi, or a
    4 cylinder Vega motor.
    Send me a private email if you need more info.
    Being your in TN, you may not have the zoning/code problems.
    Good luck!

Am I against pole buildings....certainly not. I made a good living for many years in sales and project management.
    You are talking apples and prunes when comparing to pole buildings, (witch I also sold a bunch of)
    Nothing wrong with a pole building, and probably a great deal for a shop.
    You can insulate either one sufficiently
    Both will have good warantees
    Stay away from sliding doors. A pain in the ass and garbage.
    Also stay away from the low ballers (Menards, etc.) They are junk.
    Do NOT pay more than 10% down, and hold at least 20% back until building is 100% complete. Period.
    Butler, Varco Pruden, Star, and several others are all good quality, but you will pay more for Butler and Varco Pruden.

11. storm king

storm king

Good stuff here, all. I seriously considered a Morton. They are without question supurb quality, and their warranty is without peer. If a tornado takes down a Morton building, they simply come in and build you a new one, insured or not. They stand by their work. Again, I choose steel strickly for the savings on insurance, and thinking that it is just plain less likely an all stell building would burn like a wood framed one will.

12. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You're right. Steel doesn't burn........ but it sure as heck melts and warps. If a fire starts in your shop, you're screwed either way.

13. I brought this up with a friend yesterday.. He was telling me, Cali code states that a stucco building is more fire resistant than a steel building. So you can build a stucco'ed building closer to a barrier wall then you could a steel building! Bassakwards, you ask me.. but I aint know nuttin, rilly!

14. Truth is, timber buildings are way safer in a fire than steel buildings.
    Never seen a timber building buckle, twist, melt and collapse.
    It happens to steel buildings real quick.

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

Got any pics Junkyard kid??

16. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

we've got 3 major manuafacturers here in town. all good products and good to work with. if you want a contact let me know and I'll send em your way.

17. bdr1

bdr1

lol...........I am a regular poster on this site and found this thread using google............BWHAHAA good info............bout to build one here too

18. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

there is a certain type of foam insulation you can use to to help from fire, he said its amazing sturr my fireman customer told me about it when i we were talking about fires..he said its amazing stuff, its probably not cheap either...

19. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

Soon as I get a chance I'll take some pics of my nieghbors shop shes putting up in back of our place. Since we live in the Desert shes building one out of straw bales( on a slab) with wire and stucco over the top to make it look like a regular house. Since we don't get but between 4-6in of rain a year this works out well. Has great ""R" value because of the thick walls and pretty cheap to put up. She's a construction Superintendent.

Michael

20. special-k

special-k

We put up a Exsel building by Porta-Grace in Hopkinsnville KY. $12,500 for the kit. 24'x48' with 12' walls and 16'6" at the peak with 3 windows, one rollup door and one man door. 12' centres on the walls 4' centres on the stringers(purloins) and it met Ont snow codes. They have a website for more pics. We put our's on a house style foundation but they are made to go on a slab. I'd buy another one BTW we'll have 25 in it when it's done.

21. stealthcruiser

stealthcruiser

There's a H A M B'r with such a setup, not sure if house or garage, and , I believe.......that it's "TMan", and "maybe", it was up there in North Georgia, (or the Dakota's, the same thing:D:D).

But, I could be mistaken...............

22. Itchy-Pit

Itchy-Pit

I inquired about American Steel Span P-Series and then bought a Cover It just as a dry cover. American Steel called me up a year later and said they had - "a deal". Sometimes orders get cancelled - may be a little off in size. Mine is 25x36. Delivered to my home $4000. Pad was about $1000. Three buddies and a couple weekends - Done. NOTE: Be sure to double nut the bolts.. I love it otherwise.