Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plasma cutter problems

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lmte11, Sep 30, 2010.

1. lmte11

lmte11

I borrowed a friends Hypertherm Powermax 600 to cut some 3/16" metal. I plugged it in and hooked it up to the air compressor. When I turn it on everything lights up, you can hear the fan kick on and air moves through the torch, but no arc for the most part. Every now and then it will arc for a fraction of a second but that is it. I have cleaned the metal where it is grounded for a good contact and changed the consumables.

Anyone have any ideas or advice? I have used other plasma cutters before, but not this one in particular. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

I had to tighten the nozzle that holds the consumables to the handle of the torch real tight on a DragGun that I bought on Ebay. There were two spring loaded brass contacts that needed cleaning and tightening to make a good connection.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  3. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

I have run across one plasma cutter where I had to press against the cutting surface while pulling the trigger and dragging. The tip was spring loaded as a safety measure. Try it, good luck.

4. Make damn sure you have the correct consumables for that torch, and in the correct order.

Make sure your air pressure is in the correct range for the amperage you are trying to cut with.

If it were a ground issue, you would see the primary starting arc and it would never switch over to the cutting arc.

If that doesn't fix it, it needs repair.

I have a PowerMAX 600 and 1650 machines, very good stuff.

5. impalamark

impalamark

My plasma need a certain amount of air pressure before it will arc think it's 80 lbs
    high anyway make sure you have enough

6. BISHOP

BISHOP

I have ran across one of these, liked to have never figured it out. Sounds like the same deal.

7. choptop37

choptop37

you sure the swirl ring is in right,? needs air directed through it to pull back the inner tip to start the arc. does it try to arc if you tap the tip on the work piece while holding the triggger?

8. hoggyrubber

hoggyrubber

i had a resistor or something go out on a miller a couple of years ago. it didn't arc at all though. it was a $200 fix at the welding shop, best i remember.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also, the Powermax 600 can be setup to run on several different voltages. Is the line voltage light coming on?

Mine exhibited much the same symptoms when I moved to my current location. The previous location had 240V, the current location is 208V.

Test your receptacle and see what you are getting. Check the machine wiring, and make sure those two setups match.

They are easily set, from behind the little panel on back, very clearly marked and easy to put back when you are done, if you have to change them.

10. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

My miller wants 60 psi minimum. It stops when it drops below. Set air compressor at 85 and cutter at 60.

11. lmte11

lmte11

Thanks for all the replies...and the winner goes to....over tightening the torch tip. I guess the tip is only supposed to be hand tight, not "bust a nut trying to tighten it" tight. I loosened it up after reading about this on a welding website and now it works like a charm.
    Thanks everyone.

12. tanof

tanof
    from New Mexico

So my answer was exactly the opposite of what was wrong. Interesting.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Live and learn, backwards?