Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by young'n'poor, Sep 30, 2010.

1. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

So I have a complete running flathead for sale on craigslist, and got a reply through email with a few questions. I answered them and the man replied that he would like to buy the motor, sight unseen, and would have it shipped to him in washington state. He then says he will send a certified check and when I receive the check he will send a mover to pick it up. Now I have never done the epay thing, and have never sold anything out of state, so I have no clue how this works but i am extremely nervous about taking a check from out of state and sending the motor along. His last email is below.

Hello,

Thanks so much for the prompt response to my mail, The price is okay by me,I really wish to be there to check the condition but I am not chanced due to My job,Payment will be via certified cashiers check//bank certified check,I believe what I am buying from you is in good condition so I want to secure the purchase to avoid loosing it,Concerning the pick up, my mover would be at your place for the pick up after you have received and confirmed payment .please do provide me with the below information to facilitate mailing the payment to you so as to have this transaction completed ASAP

Full Name.........................................................................
    Address where payment will be sent to not p.o.box............
    City..................................................................................
    State.................................................................................
    Zip Code..........................................................................
    Cell Number.....................................................................

Hope to read from you soon,so please do withdraw the ad and to be rest assured on my side that i have bought it.I Await your response as soon as possible,you can also reach me on this number 206-600-****

Thanks.

206-600-****

I know Im probably just being paranoid but I would rather be safe than sorry.

thanks, Mitch

2. 8-Track

8-Track

3. SCAM..................SCAM..................SCAM.
    don't do it that way.

firstnomad

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

who fucking talks like that?

SCAM!

what does calling the number you have..give you someone in NIGERIA?

5. Qdanj

Qdanj

Paranoid.
    Have him send a cashiers check and cahs it. When you have the money in your hand let the motor go.
    I've bought and sold over thinternet and have only once had an issue with goods/payment.
    Good luck,
    Dan

6. <FANG>

<FANG>
    from W.L.A.

Dude
    I get these all the time
    If you want to waste some of your time
    suggest the mover cash the check and hand you
    the money
    a trustworthy company will do this

bottom line it's a SCAM

7. Well his english is bad to be certain. But maybe he went to public school in the last say 20 years?

What you do is make sure the engine doesn't leave until the check clears, just like if I buy a part from you and you ship it to me.

Usually when it is a scam they send you a check and want you to pay the shipper from what they send. Make sure he understands that the engine is not leaving until the check clears. That can normally happen within a couple of days. If it is a bank draft on the other hand it can take a couple of weeks.

8. Qdanj

Qdanj

Ok, it's not me see, it's this keboard!!

9. csclassics

csclassics

Oh man, I hate those scammers. DON'T DO IT!!!!!
    I get emails like that whenever I sell anything on CL.
    Occasional I'll get an email from a princess or ambassador of a foreign country that wants to give me money...yeah, like that is believable.

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Any time someone mentions a mover or agent, it's B.S.. A lot of fake cashier's chacks out there.

11. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

calling the number gets ringing and no voicemail box. I didnt intend to let the motor go until the check cleared but I was unsure how long a cashiers check would take to clear and if there was anyway my bank could be fooled.

12. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Banks get fooled all the time. It's a scam. Why dont you post the engine in the HAMB classifieds?

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Sounds like a twist on an old scam.....he'll likely send you a cashier's check for MORE money than the agreed upon purchase price, and ask you to give his mover the engine AND the difference. Then you'll know it's a scam!

Once the mover is gone with your engine and cash, the cashier's check will likely turn out to be a fake.

14. Well your bank can be fooled. A chasiers check is close to being the same as a money order. A bank draft is an entirely different story, I hate them.

BTW I send my mover better known as BenD to pick stuff up all the time.

That's why you make it clear that the engine doesn't move until the check clears.

15. thepolecat

thepolecat
    1. S.F.C.C.

Just look at the wording.

Ican has motor please and thank you?- whenever the wording that bad I just dump the mail.

16. mackster

mackster

SCAM! even if you get the check. its bougs and since is gona be out of state (nigeria) it will take 5-8 weeks for your bank to figure out its fake. and you will be stuck with the money owed to the bank!

17. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

100% scam and even if the check "clears" it is only a temp. clear to allow you access to the money in good faith. At any point in the future if/when the bank figures out it isn't a real check, they will take the money back anyway or hold you responsible for giving it back to them. And sometimes it might take a couple of weeks for that really to happen. This is exactly why they pull this this crap as the scammers know this.

18. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

yes you bank can be fooled...make sure the check clears not only your bank but the bank the check came from also.....if not when your bank gets "fooled" your on the line for the cash....good luck on that!!

19. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I did post it in the classifieds here yesterday. I was really hoping to get a H.A.M.B.er to buy it so I could rest relatively easy about the sale, but it was bumped down pretty fast haha.

20. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

If your questioning it, just pass on it. I would.

Post it here or the fordbarn. It'll sell.

21. 19Fordy

19Fordy

If you fall for that you will be "young 'n' poorer".

22. Sixcarb

Sixcarb
    from North NJ

I sold some Network equipment years back and took a certified check, my bank cleared the check and then came back 4 months later and removed the money from my account since they eventually found out the check was a fake.......tell him to get a money order and don't run it through a personal account just cash it, if he can't get yopu a money order from the post office then he has no money.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

They are even forging money orders. Have him wire the money to your bank. :D

24. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Yeah it's a scam. And the bank can claw back the money when the fake cashiers check bounces. You need to try and find one of those traditional hot rod message boards to sell your flathead on.

Doc.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  25. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Ya, it sounds like they are trying way to hard to sound proper.

26. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

thanks guys! Im just gonna wait for someone on here or someone local to offer cash.

27. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

SCAM SCAM SCAM....Stay away from it!

I sold a few things via craigslist...bottom line is Craigslist has no rules or regulations about who buys or sells...so it comes down to what both parties are comfortable with. If you feel uncomfortable with the deal, walk away.

28. Slow55

Slow55

It's a scam waiting for a sucker to bite.

Tell em to grab a shovel and you'll send your driver to pick em both up.

29. csimonds

csimonds

Sca Sca Sca Scammer!!!! Like Von Rigg fink said most likely from Nigeria!!!!

30. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

I have sold on Craigslist but it has always been cash in hand before delivery. The syntax of his response would cause me to say Nigerian Scam, stilted English, odd grammar, you get a lot of replies like that to posted advertisements and some are laugh out loud ridiculous. Other posters are right, cashier's checks aren't what they once were. One way is to get the check, don't deliver, and call the bank direct. I have found they will acknowledge whether or lot it was a legitimate check issued by them. And even with cash, you have to be careful. I had a young fellow pay cash for a pickup I was selling and I told him to have a cup of coffee while I went to the bank and had then check the stack of $100s and $50s he gave me. Nice young guy, didn't put up a fuss. Lot of counterfit money here in New England, down to $20s.