Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 drag truck build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mat Thrasher, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Streetwerkz

Streetwerkz

2. lilclay81

lilclay81
    from illinois

man that thing is killer looking. awesome work. congrats on the new addition to your family

3. 65 impala

65 impala

atta boy Matt and congrats on the little one

4. It looks like the rear section of the roll bar from the cab to the rear frame is bolted to the cab and not the inner cab cage. Is that correct? Will that section be removable at the rear of the frame too? Just curious. I think I am going to do a six point on my truck now, so I am curious how you are going to install your floor of your bed. I don't know how I am going to do mine yet.

5. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

If you look at the bars that run behind my head, you can see the tabs that bolt to the back bars. At the rear crossmember there is a bung welded into the back bar. The crossmember is sleeved and a bolt runs through it to the bar. My door bars are going to be done the same way. My chassis guy says I will have no problem passing tech like this.

I think if you did something similar, it would work great for being able to remove your cab and put in a bed floor. Personally I think the plates on the back of the cab give it a nice finished look too.

As of right now I'm not planning on a bed floor. When I layed out my rear rails I put them in a little high. My bed would only be about 6" deep.I left everything below the rails so I have the option of doing it latter, if I change my mind.

If you need any more detailed shots let me know.

How's your chassis coming?

6. Thanks for the reply. I was curious about the passing tech part with the rear section being removable.
    The front half of my chassis is done. I think they are starting on the rear half of my frame this week. I decided to do the roll bars for safety if I ever get hit on the street and since my motor has grown I will end up at the track and need the roll bars for inspection and safety. I just didnt want the rear bars out the rear of my cab. It is neccessary with our trucks though if we have a cage or 6pt roll bar.

7. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

I wasn't crazy on the bars out of the back of the cab either. They are starting to grow on me though, I think it gives it a drag race vibe.

8. Im not sure we have a choice since our trucks are going to be 1320 ft misseles.:D

9. How's the truck coming along Mat? Any new pics?

10. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Sure, I've been working on the fuel system. I was going to wait until it was completely done to post pics. As to be expected ,things have slowed down a bit having a 2 month old and a 3 year old. But I've manged to get some done.

I'm running an aeromotive pump and regulator. It's always a fine line between keeping it as traditional as possible and going fast . I wanted the regulator in front of the motor. The problem is it's a billet anodized piece so it sicks out. My plan is to take the reg apart and blast and polish it. Then hopefully it won't look so modern. I bent up 3/8 stainless hard lines. The shit is hard as hell and was a challenge bending them up but I'm happy with how they came out.

I also have the pump mounted to the side of the tank. I sleeved the crossmembers so the fuel lines don't have to hang below the frame. I'm at work now so I only have pics of the hard lines. I take some more tonight of the sleeves and the pump mount. When I'm done with the lines, I'm going to run the battery cables and minimal wiring and see if I can get it fired.

Attached Files:

11. Damn that looks nice!

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

13. 94hoghead

94hoghead

those headers are too cool...

14. Congrats on the new born. I'm sure your time is all accounted for now:D
    I always look forward to seeing the progress on your truck. I hear what your saying regarding the traditional to big performance challenges. Lookin good!

15. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks good Mat...now, you quoted me and said Im "rough" on you...haha Well, someone has to do it...may as well be me right. haha I fully expect the same when i start my 66 F100 build. Its gonna be kinda similar in concept to yours actually. Just waiting for the right timing and some shop space...oh and the money....

16. dutched32

dutched32

great looking truck man

17. Before you blast the fuel regulator have a trawl around the internet for threads about removing anodising. I seem to remember that caustic soda will fetch it off (I have done it in the dim distant past) . Seems a far nicer way than risking media becoming imbedded in something vital.
    However, do check that I'm right, it's been a while since I did it.

By the way, superb truck!

18. I agree with Jerry, look into another way to clean the anodize off other than blasting...your truck looks like it is gonna give dave fits, hehe....

19. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

Great looking truck. Always been a sucker for fast pick-ups, here's mine. Oven cleaner will remove anodising, but keep a watchful eye on it as it will eat into the aluminium pretty quick. I always take my stuff to the anodiser guys, they can reverse the process and remove it.

Attached Files:

20. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

You're right somebody has to do it. Oh yeah, I know what you're saying about the money and the time.

I thought about the caustic soda but I heard it takes off some material. I was worried about screwing up the tolerances. I figured if I completely take it apart I can get everything out.

So I got some work done on the fuel lines last night. I have both the supply and return lines ran from the back to the regulator. I have to order some more fittings but I'm getting closer. This is the first time I've worked with the nylon braided hose. It's really nice stuff and looks a hell of a lot better then the old blue and red fittings.

Attached Files:

21. brady1929

brady1929

damn, that is cool. nice work.

22. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Now you guys got me worried. Maybe I'll try the oven cleaner. Do you just brush it on? Then maybe some scotch brite to clean it up?

Don, I know it's going to be awhile before everything is sorted out. But I can't wait to be running with you guys at the track.

23. Damn Mat, you and Cactus1 are about 30 steps ahead of me compared to my truck.:D I guess I'll get caught up at some point:rolleyes:. Hate to repeat myself but the detail and quality on your build is nice! Even the brake lines are neatly done.

24. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Brian, thanks again. Wait until you get your chassis back from HRCC. You'll catch up in no time.

25. farmer12

farmer12

This is one killer truck! Can't believe I've missed this thread..... Keep up the great work, very inspirational for sure!

26. sure makes me want to go out and work on my truck. at a stand still right now, working on side jobs for cash. need to get some parts to keep mocking up.

27. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Looking great Mat.

28. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

I've only ever used the oven cleaner to strip the red/blue from braided line fittings, and I just soaked them in a jar a couple of minutes at a time. Brushing it on would probably be a more controlled way of doing it, plus you wouldn't have to worry about affecting the internals of the reg. Sorry I can't be more help.

29. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to do the brushed on route. Like you said it would be much easier to control.

30. Fatbrosracing

Fatbrosracing
    from Australia

My old'39 is due for a rebuild, lots of street miles and lots of 1/4 mile passes takes it's toll. I was looking at doing the straight axel gasser thing, but this thread has me thinking ....... maybe it should be lower?

Attached Files: