Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mystery stored dirt track car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Kipling, Sep 29, 2010.

1. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

{Second try at posting this}
    You guys were so quick and helpful with my last i.d. question, I thought I'd try another. This link shows a 1940's oval track coupe that had been stored for years in a Virginia garage --- can you tell me what it is? Thanks!

http://www.oldstox.com/images/mystery%20dirt%20track%20car.jpg

2. I think we can rule out any Ford.

3. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

its a 39 plymouth/dodge ect look at the grill and the rear window openings.

4. LowFat48

LowFat48

my guess is 38 Desoto

5. I don't see a roll bar or such,,looks like a slight chop,,,unfinished dream,,,?
    Definitly MOPAR, 5 lugs with clips

Last edited: Sep 29, 2010
  6. Why do you say "oval track coupe"? From what we see in the pics it doesn't look like a race car, but an unfinished custom.

7. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Looks like a late 30's Chevy to me by the shape of the rear side window.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

It's not a Chvy, I'd bet money on that, there's 5 lugs on the wheels, instead of 6, and the frame doesn't have the crossection of an inverted "U" with a flat piece across the bottom that was every Chevy I ever saw prior to '55. I'm saying Mopar.
    Dave

9. Raven53

Raven53
    from Irwin Pa

It has the same running board hangers as my 40 plymouth ...so mopar for sure

10. David Kipling

David Kipling
    from canada

Thank you guys one more time. I've read and posted to many automotive forums/ newsgroups, and this is about the only one where posters get quick, polite, and solid factual replies. Seems hot-rodders of the old school are real "straight arrows", thank heavens. Other places, I'd get a big proportion of slime / big-mouth / comedian nonsense. Bless you, and long may your cars roar.

11. john56h

john56h

vee'd windshield puts it at 1939...Plymouth, Dodge, Desoto

12. I know its a mopar and I would love to have it the shop. nice chop

13. tgabbe1934

tgabbe1934
    from smithtown

Im not sure, but I wish it was in mine! That would make a great vintage mod! Have fun!

14. Carpe Noctem

Carpe Noctem
    BANNED
    from Las Vegas

it's mine. it must have fell out of my pocket while walking thruogh. tell the barn owner I'll come get it.

15. Toner283

Toner283

1939 Dodge/Plymouth coupe. Looks to be slightly chopped but maybe not. Seems the same as mine & it is not chopped. Chopping one of these is tough to do without screwing up the flow & the proportions.

Looks a lot like mine. :) Ignore the black fuzzball things - the car was used as a decoration in my sisters wedding.

Both cars pictured below are Canadian dodges - same as an American Plymouth with the exception of trim/badging. The American dodges had a longer wheelbase & different sheetmetal entirely.

[​IMG]

Sister car to the coupe.

[​IMG]