Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Lost another Hot Rodder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rallisracing, Sep 29, 2010.

1. rallisracing

rallisracing

Delbert Wilson of Childress Tx died Sept 15th( I hope the date is right) with complications after hip surgery..Those who knew Delbert knew of his love of old Hot Rods and his huge collection of cars..He will be missed...

2. Obsessedwithchop

Obsessedwithchop

Sorry to hear thoughts and prayers go out.

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

4. My prayers and thought go out to his family and friends.

5. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

This is really sad to hear. We got to meet Delbert and tour thru his collection last April when we were at Bob Owens place in Wellington.

6. cracker head

cracker head

Sad news. He would gladly tell you stories of his cars and how they came about.

7. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

our local hot rod hero!

still had his first hot rod a 32 5 window finished in 54 and untouched since.

delbert did it all with cars.

Attached Files:

8. RodP

RodP

Thanks to you Bob I got to meet Delbert and hang out at his place for a bit. He was an amazing guy. I know his buddies are going to miss him. RIP
    RodP

9. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Delbert was a really good guy. RIP

10. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Delbert was a friend and I will miss him.
    RIP

11. Sad to hear. My prayers go out to his family....

12. farmalldan

farmalldan
    from Duncan, OK

Sad to hear. I grew up in Paducah and knew Delbert (and his dad) during my teenage years (early 1960's). I remember the really neat stuff they had stashed in the building at their salvage yard. Saw my first Cad flathead in his shop, still attached to the Sherman tank transaxle. I drooled over a '36 Ford roadster and a MGTD they had in the yard. I dreamed about the cool rods either of those would make. Remember MGTC/D's with v8-60's? Cool swap.
    Delbert was always good to us kids. I guess he wasn't but a few years older than us, but he had a job, etc., so he seemed a lot older. He offered to sell me an Edsel 2 dr hardtop with 410 engine, pushbutton shifter in the steering wheel, and crumpled fender from an accident for $100.00. I marvel to this day how stupid I was to pass on that, but, heck, I probably would have had to rob a gas station to get the money, and who wanted an Edsel anyway?
    My condolences to the family.
    Danny

13. big bad john

big bad john

My prayers go out to his family.....

14. Weasel

Weasel

Oh no - I am stunned! Delbert helped me out big time in 2008 when I broke down with my '34 Vicky in Childress TX. Just a super guy with a deep and abiding love for old cars and hot rods. What a loss - commiserations to Clay and the family.

RIP Delbert,

15. Deadender60

Deadender60

Delbert was the Epitome of a "Hot Rodder" I'm glad I got to meet him and check out his amazing collection... RIP Delbert!

-Juan

16. saylor98

saylor98

I Just saw these post's about my grandfather, Thanks everyone for being so sweet with your prayers.
    It was a big shock to us but i'm truly blessed that we could spend as much time as we did with him..

17. Weasel

Weasel

Saylor98 I had the honor of meeting your grandfather in 2008 and I very quickly warmed to him. He was a real gentleman and a generous soul. He went out of his way to help a hot rodder in distress and during the 150 mile round trip we took to Altus OK to pick up a new carburetor and during the meals we shared together we had the opportunity to share our deep and abiding love of old cars. I will never forget him....