Register now to get rid of these ads!

Went for a drive today, look what I found

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Sep 28, 2010.

1. NOT_SO_FAST

NOT_SO_FAST
    from IL

Dibs on the '57 Dodge pickup.

2. Marcy

Marcy

Nice finds Chris
    Love those 1952 Studebakers---should have V8's in them too, relatively scarce.

Marcy

4. Marcy

Marcy

Yep, about 14,000 made.

Marcy

5. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

Thanks man...now I got Cheerios all over my screen.

6. jreeder41

jreeder41

I love that Desoto in pic 10. Anyone want to bring it out to PA for me?

7. 57J2

57J2

I'll take that 61 Super 88 Wagon. Pretty rare with less than 5000 made.

8. thaugen

thaugen

My theory why those cars were abandoned: in Spokane in the 60's there were few wrecking yards so their prices were all jacked up. Later when the first discount auto parts store came to town it offered some relief. It was a lot cheaper to junk the oddballs and get a cheap Ford or Chevy that was easier to repair.

9. Yeah, every car had something fail on it. Some he said fuel pump, broken door hindge, tranny failed...I think he is convinced that if you fixed the failed part, you could drive home!!

10. Prince sang about it "Little Red Chevette"

11. NMCarNut

NMCarNut
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey if you look close there is a second one, red, next to that '55 tri-toned Lancer. So I'll take the red one. It actually might be a 62 but in any case two early 60s Oldsmobile wagons in the same country field has got to be rare.

12. hasty

hasty

13. dart165

dart165

That 55 royal lancer is a rare bird. Between the hemi and all the other bells and whistles that came on RL's, that's definitely worth saving.

i can't remember the last time i saw 61 olds 88 wagons... awesome finds.

14. Squablow

Squablow

It's a Custom Royal Lancer, so it's got all the fancy shit on it. I'd buy it if it were close by, it'd be a great parts car for my convertible. If we can assume the motor is stuck, and there is no title for it, I'd say around $1500.

'55 Dodges are very pretty cars, but there isn't a huge demand for them in project condition. If the bottom is solid and it has a title, then maybe $2000-$2500.

I'd like to have the steering box out of that one, mine is poor. The Fleetside truck is cool, and you just know that bed floor is cherry due to the camper shell.

15. Thar's gold on that thar high desert. I want that cowl!! Dang! Great finds

16. 39 chevy kustom

39 chevy kustom

^^^what he said ^^^ i want the dash out of the cowl !!!!!!!!!

17. hotwired

hotwired

I'm liking the GMC truck hiding behind the chevy cab, think he'd sell?

18. Buy the Lancer, install 318, put the RED RAM in front of that cowl!

19. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

See, here's where I'm confused...I thought your area of the country was at least as wet and dank as NJ....but you'll never see stuff that old and in that good of a condition over here....not gonna happen!

GREAT finds....let us know if you pick up the hard top...looks REALLY interesting.

20. rainh8r

rainh8r

There were lots of areas in the west where there wasn't a scrap processor, so the cars just seemed to accumulate in the fields and gully's. If there was a processor close by, they would be hauled in; otherwise they became litter. Usually mechanical problems instead of wrecks sidelined the vehicle, so lots of farm trailers started as cars and trucks.

21. LikeClassicRides

LikeClassicRides

Like all of the East coast, NJ probably uses salt on the roads. WA doesn't use salt (I heard they use gravel or something), so they don't rust like our cars do. When I went to visit my brother at WSU 25 years ago, I was amazed at all the classic vehicles I saw driving around.

Oh, I'll take the Hudson in the first picture or one of the Ramblers. Okay, really, I'll take pretty much ANY of the vehicles shown. Minus the Chevette....

22. bobs66440

bobs66440
    from New York

Man! What a find! a lot of rarities there! Very cool!

23. Caractacus Potts

Caractacus Potts

I actually keep a registry and try to find all of these starliner hardtops I can.
    www.studebakerhardtop.com
    As was said, this was Studebakers first hardtop and the only one on the 47-52 body. The one on the left is a Commander with a V8 - 14,548 made.
    The one on the right appears to be Champion 6 cyl - 12,119 of those were made.
    These are sweet little hardtops with a realtively modern chassis. On the downside the floors rust bad and they are covered with pot metal trim that is very costly to restore.

24. wagonwheel

wagonwheel

yep east oregon is a gold mine for all kind of vintage stuff
    so stay on east coast well let you know what we find
    ha!

25. pk27

pk27
    from florida

very cool pic

26. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

NICE STUFF....but damn...look what you've
    done! Your post has made made me drool all
    over my keyboard!!!! :D

Mart3406
    ====================

27. sret43

sret43

I like the Dodge truck in the back ground in the first pic. I've already got five of them and I'm drooling over this one. I need a shrink!

28. thanks for posting - looks like alot of good stuff...maybe I saw another 55-56 Dodge Hardtop....and a 56 post Dodge I like...all we have around here are some 53-54 mopar hardtops...

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There used to be a lot of guys out on farms that just drug the old one out back when it died and went to town and bought another one. And in the name of economy you never know where and engine or other part off one might end up. The Dodge or Desoto out back at that farm probably kept the next one they bought running until it too died and ended up out back. You look under the hood of one of those flatbed trucks and no telling what you will find.

30. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

Another vote here for that heater...