Register now to get rid of these ads!

Snow storage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OneFineComet, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Well, winter is coming up soon and i dont have a garage to store the Comet when snow hits. My original idea is to rent a storage space at public storage or something similar and rent it for a few months. Anybody have any experience in storing your car in snow and what are my best options?

2. dt50chev

dt50chev

Move to Texas!!!

3. brad2v

brad2v

I'm in!!!

4. nummie

nummie

when I was living in WI my neighbor would put a tarp down, drive the car onto it, jack up the car, put blocks under the axles so the tires were off the ground and use a good car cover. then hope for the best!!

5. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Put a big door into your living room , mount the TV on the hood and you can go to the drive -in every night. Drian the gas tank it might give the popcorn a bad taste .

6. I like that idea!!!

7. Thats similar to what a buddy of mine said to do. I found a pretty good car cover from MACs auto for a couple hundred with a 4 year warranty.

8. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

What's the tarp on the ground going to do for you in the winter? What about one of those portable fabric garages or make one with 2x4's and tarps. Make it so you can take the frame apart for compact storage and use next year.

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

The heavy snow last year took down a wood framed metal storage building with 40 brand new cars in it from a Chevy dealership. A week later it took down a steel framed building. All with pitched roofs. Clean the snow off the car cover when it snows(Not that the roof will cave in). Also take the car cover off from time to time and roll the windows down a bit to keep the air circulating.

10. Id hate to come home to that mess....

11. Three cars, two car garage, one of the kids sleeps outside every winter.-MIKE:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. got one that sits outside every winter, had a binder coat clear coat and that cracked all to pieces

BUT THE BIGGEST MISTAKE was going on a big garage tour circuit when snow and salt were still on ground that caused a bunch of rust on bottom and chrome wheels really regret that trip:eek:

13. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

In this economy, I'm guessing there are probably many people looking to rent out their spare bay in their garage. You might want to post a want ad in your local paper to seek out these opportunities in your area. Just a thought.

14. Bucksnort

Bucksnort

The tarp,or better yet,a few layers of heavy plastic on the ground keeps the moisture that comes up from the ground from attacking the underside.Living in snow country and damp conditions if you don't do that problems will arise over time.My 57 was always stored under cover but sometimes dirt floors.Floors were gone.

15. Aaron51chevy

Aaron51chevy

I keep two outside at winter. I keep them on a concrete slab, I put a car cover on, then a tarp on top of it.
    Try to keep the tarp bungee'd to the car so that air can get under the car and dry the concrete. I shovel the snow off the car and when it's sunny and dry I open the cars up and usually run them for a while. Worked ok last year.
    I've also got a harbor freight tent shed that I've had up for 4 years now, I replace the tarp every year but the frame is holding good. I keep a car in there also. Just have to get the snow off the roof after a good one, but there has been a foot or more of snow on it at times.

16. Flatlander

Flatlander

I would recommend that you put Irish Spring soap in the car. Mice hate that smell and it smells a heck of a lot better than moth balls. 1/4 the bars and put all over the interior and trunk. If your car is low to the ground I have heard of people putting steel wool over their exhaust to keep them from going in the pipes and building a nest.

17. I use a tent type portable garage and a car capsule inside works fine keeps out our furry friends, although stuff still oxidizes. Carlg

18. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Hi OneFineComet,
    Might want to locate a storage garage down the hill in Redlands. At least, your car will be warmer... Been to Crestline many times.. Good Luck..duane