Register now to get rid of these ads!

nitrous & flatheads?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by britman, Sep 29, 2010.

1. britman

britman
    from kentucky

I have not seen any references to the use of nitrous in any of the performance threads. Is there a reason?
    b.davis

2. bikeguydave

bikeguydave
    from Kentucky

As one fellow Kentuckian to another, do an introduction, you'll thank me later. Dave

3. harleyh

harleyh

I'm not sure if this answers your question but ... pretty sure nitrous is 'frowned upon'. Not confident that deters anyone, though.

Tube Notcher 4 LIFE

4. harleyh

harleyh

Sorry I meant to ask -- are you referring to wet or dry nitrous?

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Don't know much about nitrous but doesn't the "wet or dry" question refer to installations on EFI engines? I know they exist but you don't see many EFI flatheads. I don't anyway.

6. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

people use nitrous on flatties all the time, ask Rick schnell about it. lol. Its not a sbc though so you wont see alot of near stock cruisers with any hooked up. Rich fox is right, wet or dry only applies to FI.

7. rollinlow&Slow

rollinlow&Slow

a wet system is not just for EFI. I've seen serveral carbed engines with wet systems. The wet systems are to help with a lean condition.

8. BLAKE

BLAKE

I think the obvious reason would be that most folks running a flathead are doing so because they want a traditionally-styled car... nitrous would contradict that.

9. saints

saints

I would think that you have a good chance at cracking the block....those things were not made for the hard hit NOS does to a engine......Had it on my mustang and it does damaged if not looked after carefully

10. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

wet systems are for carbed applications. Most efi can make up the difference on smaller systems. Carbs cant unless jetted richer, and without the nitrous they would be slobbering.

Go small and work up if your going to give this a shot. Remember fat doesnt hurt much, lean will hurt everything.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Nitrous is hard on 39 transmissions and keyed axles....

12. kidzintha34fodor

kidzintha34fodor

They were doing test with nitrous in the 1950's at the lakes!!! As early as 52! So you could arque the fact of being traditional, well that is if you used the same style of injection that they were using.

13. The Ford flathead crank is marginal, without spray.

Nitrous was used during WW II, in fighter aircraft.
    It allowed them to still make power at much higher altitudes.

14. Actually TRJ did an article on an old salter that ran nitrous for awhile but that wasn't until the '80s. I think that properly built a flatty could handle it just fine. But properly built would involve billet caps forged crank etc.

We are a traditional hot rod and custom board. Most of us don't haven't had much use for Nitous Oxide since the '70s and it was purely recreational at the time. Gawd makes me all giggley just to think about it.

If you ever see a Nitrous bottle in my car look for the mask. :eek:

15. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

Shoulda listened to Dave. introduce yourself then start a thread with your questions.
    Did you notice the button you clicked on said INTRODUCE YOURSELF HERE!

FNG's are like fresh meat in the pen. No matter how bad you are your going to get your ass jumped.

Eventually this thread will be closed and all this great information we are getting will be lost .

BTW WELCOME TO THE HAMB

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Of course. That was the point. You only have a choice between wet and dry. To a point EFI can compensate for the added oxygen it senses in the exhaust by adding extra fuel. A carburated car can not do the same. So it would by default have to have a wet system or add pistons to the fuel mix.

17. crash11049

crash11049

nitrous and flatheads might not be traditional...
    but the hammering you are going to get for not introducing yourself...
    that will be traditional.

18. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I love N2O. Nuttin like it. What a rush when you hit that switch. The last car I sprayed started to miss at the top of 2nd gear (about 700' out) so I let off and shifted. She stalled. When I coasted to the end I heard "frying eggs". I got out with the fire extinguisher in hand and looked underneath the car. Motor honey. Read that as "Motor, honey. I need one..." Took #4 cyl out and I mean O U T. From 9 o'clock to 3 o'clock on the cyl wall, from head deck to main web, G O N E. Still got that block and that was in 93. Fuck, I love nitrous. I think a juiced flatty all done up the old way would rock. Who's in? Let's try it. I figger we'd need like 3-4 blocks so's we can get it right cuz we're sure to hurt some. Hold my beer...

19. BLAKE

BLAKE

If you wanna argue that, go ahead...