Register now to get rid of these ads!

Awww Geez!!!! I think I'm gonna be sick!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratroddude, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

2. freeflynstl

freeflynstl

Jesus. If those poor saps only knew how much they were pissing away by crushing those cars.

What are we coming to?:eek:

3. plan9

plan9

it had been around for years. it was an amazing place to visit even after they had crushed a bunch of cars...hundreds of old cars. i think it ceased to be a functional JY in the 70s...kinda gives you an idea of what was there. its a long distance from anywhere and had quite a few signs that said STAY OUT. if you werent paying attention you'd pass it....the glint of chrome between tree's gave it away. we caught the current owner on a good day i guess.... everything didnt get crushed.

there is another place close by, much smaller.... he is probably still around, prices were very reasonable. this is before the economy took a nose dive.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

pretty much the opposite view from the junkyard/main house.... it was in the cuts.
    [​IMG]

4. filthy frank

filthy frank

whats hapening is the ones from ecology, and pick a part,locates yards on google earth, sends someone to go and complain about all the cars, and gets the county involved,then the yard owner has to pay the fine, and all of his cars are gone to junk !

5. This really makes my head hurt.

6. I could use the vin's from a few of those :rolleyes::Dspose someone allready is:)

7. thats just disgusting, seeing those.

hey freefly-thats a nice looking book

8. porkshop

porkshop
    from Clovis Ca

Thats not what happened here. The widow and family have been selling stuff off for years since old man pearson died. Its sad to see this old stuff get crushed. But She is getting up there in age, and the property is worthless without being cleaned up. You think theres alot of stuff now you should have seen it in it haydays.....

9. Oh the humanity!:eek:
    Hot rodders are the original recyclers. :)

10. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

11. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

Well , I can understand if she's gettin up there in age , but , to sday that the property is worthless is insane because of the cars , think about it , say the property is worth $100,000 , just for numbers , and it was loaded with this goldmine , I personally would think it would be worth more as the buisness . , especially with the vintage tin , think about it , where do you find yards like that now?:confused:

12. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

That place has been there for years. I bought a '37 Ford flatback from him back in '75 and he delivered it to Long Beach. Cost me $150 including delivery. It was pretty well picked over back then.

13. Welcome to the new disposable society.

14. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

The last one that was on the loader looked like a 62 or 63 Mercury Meteor, a 2 year model in the States, they have to be getting scarce now

15. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

makes ya sick , huh?

16. Old news. This was posted and beat to death over 3 years ago. Nothing new, the people we should be outraged with are the "be-backs", those that "toured" the yard and never bought a damn thing. Its not an amusement park, buy something even if its a spare piece of trim, extra set of interior handles, a beat up old grill to hang on the wall, it really does keep the doors open.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=155966

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4283541

BTW - I didn't always think this way, after a couple annual trips with a couple friends to a forgotten wrecking yard out of state, we had lots of road time to try and figure out a way to make it work.

Lowriders Art Gallery owned a Montana yard full of 30's 40's 50's cars, he only crushed the mid 70's and newer stuff, but he couldn't hold out for the guys who wanted the tail light and housing for $10. The customer traffic just isn't there and consistent enough.

Just for illustration - It takes more than $3.5k in revenue every week to break even with a 3 person outfit. Thats if the land is paid for, the equipment is paid for/in good shape, a years worth of inventory, the taxes are cheap, the EPA/County/Local Municipality isn't up their ass, etc. Think about it, the math isn't that hard, 2 employees at $15hr, owner at scraping by $20/hr, FICA/Medicare/Work Comp/Liability Ins/Fuel Expenses/Utilities/Equipment maintenance/Property Taxes/Vehicle Taxes...

The yards here in Billings are no longer open on Saturdays. Its just not worth their time, they generate more from repair shop sales than Saturday hot rodder traffic.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  17. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

excuse me while i go puke. I need meds ....quick , someone .
    ain't it sickin. I got to wipe my screen off. Drive ya to drinkin .

18. Never2low

Never2low

I couldn't even get past the 30 second mark, Ouch.....:(

19. shoveled71

shoveled71

A Damn shame, that green and white 56 Ford had a nice body, theres one like that for sale on here now, I always liked that color combo.

20. TMoney

TMoney

That seriously looks like murder.

21. MeteorMan

MeteorMan

Scarce is an understatement! I hated to see that one go, well at least they panned away so I didn't HAVE to see the carnage!:(
    At least it was a 4-door.

I've got a '63 Meteor 2 door hardtop that's been for sale here on the HAMB (and on the Meteor site) for over a year and a half, so far nothing but tire kickers. It's funny how everybody cries when they see them getting crushed but when given every opportunity to buy one, well I just don't know...:confused:

22. tathataboy

tathataboy
    from Olathe, KS

Couldn't watch it. Don't need the heartache.

23. MIGHTY

MIGHTY

THe sound alone makes me sick

24. guiseart

guiseart

Alot of these good ol boys are getting more for the scrap metal than they could trying to squeeze a nickle out of us "enthusiasts"... they have to feed their family too.

25. SOLO

SOLO

I think I just threw up in my mouth.

26. 62rebel

62rebel

knew a guy back in Virginia that had a yard like that, he stopped taking stuff in pretty much, in the early 70's, as he had filled every nook and cranny he had that wasn't producing farmland. he was old, though, and his family just wasn't into keeping it up when he died.... i remember walking down through three different sections where there were NOTHING but shoebox Fords, 49-51 Mercs, and tri-five Chebbies. dozens of them.

about a month after they buried him, the crusher went to work.

i DID buy stuff off him, all the time.

27. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

So if organizations like peta can be formed to save stupid F'ing critters, why cant hot rodders start up shit like that too to save stuff i actually give a damn about? I'd adopt a few and i can certainly find some good homes for others

28. ifurnotfirsturlast

ifurnotfirsturlast
    from concord

they make hospitals for all sorts of people why not car crushers?

29. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I could not watch it past the 1st car...where`s my Uzi ?

30. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

I couldn't watch---effin' people are stupid. Nucor steel here in Tx melts down truckload after truckload of crushed cars---Chapparal steel as well. You see loads like that on the road all the time.