Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 installed but noisy....any ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Snipe, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Snipe

Snipe

I recently installed a T5 NWC transmission in my 40 ford coupe. The transmission came out of a 1986 chevy astro van. The shifter sits a couple of inches nearer the seat than the S10 tranny, but I'm fine with that. Also, the gear ratios are a little better, as in lower engine RPM than most s10 trannys. (Picture shows shifter placement)

Here's my problem: The trans shifts great and is pretty quiet until I get to 4th and 5th gear. That's when I get a howl which seems to get a little louder and stutters as I let off the gas. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea of what may be causing this noise. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,:)

Snipe
    (that's as in USN engineering, not the little umh bird)

Attached Files:

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What lubricant are you running in it?

3. Snipe

Snipe

I've got RED Line MTL in it.

Snipe

4. Vergil

Vergil

Running two nwc t5's in av8's with MTL and no noise.

Vergil

5. bill3337

bill3337

You should be running dextron II auto transmission fluid in it, that's what they're intended for and may help with the noise, but get noisy anyway when they're worn a bit.

6. jboss1965

jboss1965

It could be an endplay issue with the input... or the pocket rollers inside the input are failing, its a fairly common problem and the greatest load is on that in 5th gear. Most units with high miles need some help with endplay... if the unit has been run for sometime with the shimming out of spec or with a low oil condition the gears can be worn and then make noise. You'll need to have it looked at by someone who knows these units.
    if you need help let me know.
    Jeff

7. lionsgarage

lionsgarage
    from Washington

Actually it seems if it was a bearing it would be quiet in 4th, (direct) no side load on the shafts at all. Normally if the noise gets quieter moving up through the gears, quietest in 4th and a little noise in 5th it is a front or rear counter shaft bearing. if some noise still there in 4th then input, middle or rear mainshaft bearing. (end play is usually easily felt in the shifter, light hand on shifter and load it then let off, see if the shifter moves a bunch....Hope this helps.
    just wondering is this one with the shift linkage on the outside...most astro's had kind of worn out linkage early in life.

8. Snipe

Snipe

Thanks guys for the input,

lionsgarage
    This tranny did have ext shifter setup, but I replaced it with a Hurst. It really shifts great. I'll give your tip on end play a try.

snipe

9. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes, input bearing is noisy 1,2,3,5, but not 4 - normally. Endplay could be the culprint. Also rear bearing as it seems to get worse with speed...