Register now to get rid of these ads!

Those that have pulled a 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr Spooky, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Mr Spooky

Mr Spooky

I have everything disconnected, and radiator and hood removed from my 54 210. I am ready to pull the 235 out, but where do you attach the hoist to? Pics would be great of the attachment points you used. I plan on pulling the trans out attached to the engine.

Thanks
    Mike

2. squirrel

squirrel

I usually run a good sized chain from a manifold bolt near the back, and a water outlet bolt on the other side at the front. It's a bit lopsided, but it works.

Make sure you fasten it well, with strong bolts with plenty of threads engaged, a big washer, and tighten the bolt up (use a bolt that is just the right length, not one that's too long)

3. Never2low

Never2low

Do you plan on tearing it down? When I pulled mine I removed the head and bolted the chain ends directly to the block. Pulled engine/trans no problem, but it was a pick-up not a passenger car.

4. badshifter

badshifter

Hook a heavy chain to the front pulley/end of crank, hook the other to a hitch on a truck that is backed up to the 235, put it in drive and hammer down. Video it please.

5. Taff

Taff

I ran a chain around the motor, between the sump and flywheel at the back and betwen the front pulley and sump at the front.

6. 52HardTop

52HardTop

According to the shop manual, you need to remove the rocker arm assembly and then use two of the head bolts to pull the engine and trans together. If you have a three speed you use the fourth head bolt from the rear on the left side, driver side. Then the third head bolt from the rear on the right side, passenger side. I used these same bolts when I pulled a 54 235 from my 52. It worked fine. If you have a powerglide use the second head bolt from the rear on the left side, drivers side. Then the fourth from the rear on the right side side, passenger side.
    Dom

7. Road Runner

Road Runner

A few years back, when I pulled my 216 with 3 speed, I got an engine leveler and a couple of load-rated eye bolts (not the cheesy ones from the hardware store), replacing two head bolts.
    That's how the old chevy shop manuals suggest it and it has worked well, using the leveler to easily shift the weight, as I pulled it all out, by rolling the car back.
    The fresh 261 with same 3 speed attached went back in the same way, just in reverse.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I've done it by wraping chain around rocker shaft. Slide spring over and tape shaft so spring wont move then wrap shaft with shop rag to protect it.

9. cicciobilly

cicciobilly
    from italy

in Italy it's ard to find eye bolts that are load rated and with the right threads, so we wrapped the engine with two belts, getting sure that the belts won't move, the engine was already dismantled, so no oil pan, no generator, fan, water pump and so on, it come out pretty easily without removing the hood!

10. RichG

RichG

I've read this several times and still don't understand.:confused:

11. hotflint

hotflint

usually when I work on my stuff its fairly late at night and I had to buy a 6 foot length of 1/2 inch NC redi-rod and cut it to length and used big washers and pulled out 2 head bolts, i kept the rocker shaft on and didnt damage anything.

12. OLLIN

OLLIN

they hooked it to the rocker shaft when I took my engine to the rebuild shop and I got a little worried, but they said that was the way they always did it too???

13. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

An old time Chevrolet mechanic who started working before WWII told me to put the chain through the rocker arm shaft because it was the strongest place on the engine. I probably pulled hundreds of Chevrolet inline six and GMC inline six engines in my life and never harmed any of them. The rocker arm shaft will not bend if all the rocker arm bolts are tight. If you are working on somebody elses car you don't want to do this in front of them because it is too hard to explain.

14. RichG

RichG

No, no, I get what you're saying, but the way I read his was that he wrapped the chain AROUND the rocker shaft?:confused:

EDIT: just read what 33Chevy posted... I guess I did read it right.

15. rat seeker

rat seeker

What size and length are the lifting eye's that you used? This looks easy and safe. Just getting ready to pull one this weekend

16. Road Runner

Road Runner

8 x 1/2
    Long enough to keep the rocker arm assembly in place.
    McMaster-Carr has them and they are made in Chicago.

17. rat seeker

rat seeker

Thanks

18. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

tell your buddy he can have it if he pulls it & then you don't have to worry bout it.

19. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When I was running GMCs the wrecking yard I got the first one from had a piece of angle iron drilled to pick up the two valve cover hold down studs on a GMC or an early 216-235. Piece of a coil spring welded to the other side of the angle iron to make a loop. Worked great. I made one drilled just for GMCs and still have it. Looks scary but I never dropped one.

20. elmitcheristo

elmitcheristo

X2 on the engine leveler. They aren't that expensive and they make a world of difference.

-Mitch

21. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

Mike, I did it the same way squirrel said and it worked out fine, pulling it and putting it back in at least 3 times.

Brian.

22. Mr Spooky

Mr Spooky

Thanks all for the replies. Helped out tons. Went with the eye bolt and engine leveler method. That's one heavy pig of an engine. Hardest part was getting the oil pan over the grill. The hoist barely went high enough.

23. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've pulled enough of them to meet my quota a few times over, and I usually do it the way squirrel described.