Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Modified Murray - Race to the road! Progress in Review!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scootermcrad, Jan 19, 2010.

1. -Brent-

-Brent-

Very cool.

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just got THIS from the UPS guy... :D:D

[​IMG]

Rebel Wire 9+3. Looks like a real nice harness with a nice booklet and the wires all marked for a simple installation! Thanks a bunch to Glenn33 for getting that right out and a thanks to "Hi!" for a little horse trading.

Now if only I was ready to install it! HAHA! :)

3. jj mack

jj mack

Seriously......

You are not going to find a vintage NOS wiring harness? I am appalled!;)

JJ

4. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Well actually... I'm going to use some cloth wrapped primary for the engine bay and anywhere else that will show. :D

5. chaddilac

chaddilac

Scooter... it's the details man... the details!!! You're nailing it with the details!! Great job buddy!! Can't wait to see it in person!!!

6. -Brent-

-Brent-

Scott, why so many circuits?

I just checked them out. That kit seems like a pretty good deal.

7. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HAHA! Yeah, I probably won't use most of them.... :rolleyes:

8. boones27t

boones27t
    from redding ca

shapin up very nice im lovin it

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't forget the power lambo doors and the under car neon! :D:D

10. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks killer Scott!! You'll be driving soon enough!!

11. Wiring is fun. You said under car neon.... Do it ... lol you won't ...

12. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another weekend update...

Headers are pretty much done! I ran out of abrasives discs to get 'em nice and purdy, but good progress just the same!

The passenger side exhaust went soooo much quicker.

Tacked it up, taking care to make sure it matched the other side...

[​IMG]

Then went ahead and did the finish welding and took the welds down with a die grinder and carbide cutter... (made sure there was plenty of weld to maintain strength)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then after about an hour per side of hand filing, here's the results...

[​IMG]

From here I was able to do a little bit with the abrasives I had, but still didn't have what I needed. I really need to go abrasive shopping and restock before I can finish these headers. In the mean time, here's how they sit...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now that the car is really starting to become a car, it's personality is really starting to show. In fact... It's starting to show me that it will be a partier, of sorts. While I stepped out, it invited some recently made friends over to boogie! :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

Spent the whole morning cleaning up beer bottles. Must have been some night...

HAHA!

LSJUNIPER likes this.
  13. 73RR

73RR

Hey Scott, The car is looking fantastic.
    Questions about the exhaust...are there any concerns about the hot gas being too close to the paint? Will the end of the trumpet remain square or are there any plans for a bologna slice to deflect the gas?

Gary

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had planned on leaving them square cut. They're a pretty a good distance away, actually. The only thing that MIGHT take some of the gas would be the hinge. I've seen exhaust dump closer than mine with little effect, but fingers are crossed. We'll see what happens.

They will be jet-coated, in the long run.

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

As cool as both of those roadster are (and they are fucking awesome) you Model A sitting in the background looks like the shady fella at the party. The one that's carrying a Switchblade or black jack and it just looking for a reason to use them. Very menacing.....

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Oh you should either chrome those exhaust now that you fucked them up by smoothing them out or Cadmium plate them like the So-Cal Coupe's stuff.

17. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Haha! Naw... Just one more thing to clean. Besides... I really want it to look like "the shady fella" you mentioned. :D

18. -Brent-

-Brent-

Wow, Scott, I was out of town and missed your update. I really like how the exhaust came out. I'm not usually a fan of this style, but, with the d-shaft tubing that doesn't "cone" out larger toward the end it has an appealing look to it. Plus, of course, your treatment to the welds knocks it out of the park.

Nice job... very nice.

19. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Looking great. What did you do with the rear doors?

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Still got 'em! I try not to rid of anything until I'm done. I will probably use the door handles off of them and that's about it. Then they will go. Maybe sooner...

21. Bullington

Bullington
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Keep me in mind. I need a solid set of rear doors only for my project. I would be more than happy to donate $$ to your "get your shit done" fund in trade. :)

22. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... I have an update...

I've been working really hard to get the body mounted correctly so I can check alignment on everything, finish the fuel tank mounts, and get the push bar completed.

Body is shimmed correctly now. Both sides of the car have door gap issues because I'm not finished with the jambs yet, but will get addressed soon. The door gap issues is more severe on the passenger side and is forcing the door out of alignment at final latch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's been a plan from day one to have the rear of this car wide open to give view to all the mechanicals of the car, however I always thought something was out of balance. Something was always missing. And a TON of horizontal lines with very few vertical. For more reasons than just visual, I really wanted a "push bar". I really wanted to protect the fuel tank in the event that I would back into something and also provide a little protection for the quick change center, since it hangs out there pretty good.

My first thought was that it sounded hokey and that it would just look like added crap to the back of the car. But I think it works visually and is functional as well.

Mock up and placement...

[​IMG]

Knowing from the beginning that there would be SOMETHING out back, I incorporated sockets into the frame. Standard size tubing was used for a plug to start the mounting points...

[​IMG]

Rolled some tubing for the triangulating supports...

[​IMG]

Then tubes were fit to the plugs and the center tube.

[​IMG]

The rack would then provide the rest of the support needed to help stabilize everything. Plus the rack really needed to be finished off...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needs ports, right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then on to finishing up the fuel tank mounts. Decided I didn't like the inconsistency of the pulse welding so I smoothed them out. MUCH better!! They will get final touches before paint...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also changed over to carriage bolts for the mounting bolts. This will make mounting MUCH easier for one person to do and it looks much cleaner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the front sheet metal put on, here's how things are shaping up...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a TON to do! I will start moving back inside to finish what I started very soon!

[​IMG]

Although I generally don't like the reality of lists, I'm to the point where I have to get organized to get this done. I made a list of every stupid little fabrication task I could think of for the body and chassis. Not as bad as I thought, but certainly not great. But now I have a check list as well. I think it will help. Something like 46 tasks left just on the body, not including paint prep and putting down color. But it's just a pile of small and medium tasks. Not too many LARGE projects left. So some of them can be knocked off quickly, when I get to them.

I need to get this thing to AAA to get the paperwork started for title and registration. Trailer is ready, but the weather is not. Gloomy, rainy weather, this week. I really don't need anymore rust, so I'll have to wait until it's dry enough to load it up and take it over.

23. looks real good. One thought, how about a gentle curve on the upright for the nerf bar? Kinda like this -(

24. Looking good I like the nerf. I am adding sockets in the back of mine for the same.

25. cruzr

cruzr

Scott.....................bravo

26. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

27. Minewithnoshine

Minewithnoshine

Killer look to it! I dig it!

28. Great work Scott!! The push bar really finished the rear off nicely.

29. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

looking good Scott! push bar looks good, the curves follow the body lines on the back, bravo sir!