Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 coupe, body info needed.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Sep 27, 2010.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I have been getting some info together for a new project, a Model A. Coupe, 30-31. I am now being pulled toward a '32 Coupe, my first choice. Finding one at an affordable price is almost impossible, but what about the all steel new reproductions? Not a real Henry J, but avoids a lot of body work. Would this be considered to be a "fake". Would it diminish the selling price, when the time comes.

Thanks for an honest opinion,
    Bob

2. it wont be an original, but if you use all original ford parts you can get as close as possible... its not gonna be worth as much as an original body, but how many people are really gonna know if its an original??? build what you wanna build, dont let anyone tell you how to build it, even if you change your mind about 100 times like i have.

3. Tom has a good take on it.

Yopu should keep a few things in mind who makes the most correct duece body? The closer to correct you get the higher the price. Soon you are right back up there with an original body. And none of them are smooth they all need prep work prior to paint.

4. F&J

F&J

Just my opinions...while working with a real bad orig 32 body..

If you are willing to spend as much as the repro steel 32 3w, but would be happy with a real Ford 5w body, I would have to think you could find one in that price range.

There must be some out there in pretty good shape at that price?

as far as starting with a repro, I don't really care anymore if the rest of the build is in the style I like. Working with a junk body really spoils the hobby for me. Mine is really bad :(

5. or even a nice fordor or tudor body, for a little over what youre gonna pay for a roadster, if thats what you want... it all just takes time and money (neither of which i have right now)

6. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Thanks to all for the input.
    Let me give you some background. I have wanted the '32 Coupe since I was 16, could have bought one then for $800.00, Complete rod, but didn't have the money. Shows you how old I am.

It's now time for me to finally do it. I have been thinking about the 30-31, because it is less costly, but the '32 is my dream. The repro '32 looks great, & like Tomcantdoit says, who will know. The problem is, I will know. Then again, half the coupes out there are 50% patch panels & repro parts. This is driving me nuts.

The end result I am looking for is a daily driver, fenderless, hood top only.never to see a car show,mainly because my skills are minimal, but I must do all the work myself, or I don't feel it's mine.

Now the money:
    I can get a repro '32 body for about 8K, or buy an original '30-'31 that's workable for about 3K. The 5k difference buys a lot of parts.

As far as resale goes, I hope to never sell it, I want to drive it till I die. But you never know.

Which way would you go. '32 Repro or '30-'31 original.

Bob

7. gasheat

gasheat
    from Dallas

Maybe this will help. About 15 years ago I wanted a 32 roadster. Everything was way to much for my wallet. Nothing was available in my $ range. Stepped up and bought a very complete, running bone stock 32 deluxe roadster. Kept what I needed and sold the rest. End result I had what I needed to build a Henry bodied highboy at a cheap price. CHEAP. It worked for me.

Attached Files:

8. Maybe I'm not the very best person to answer that last question. I like '32 Fords if they belong to someone else but never liked them well enough to want to own one. So for the money I would be fine with the model A.

You on the other hand like dueces so not knowing anything about your finances I would think that it is a no brainer.

As far as resale value to me its a hobby. If in fact I intended to make my living from cars it would be from building or working on other peoples cars, as opposed to building a car with the intention of selling it.

That said it appears that you intend to build your dream car and drive it, as it should be. Again it becomes a no brainer.

If you only have one car left in you I would assume that you would build the one you like the best.

9. Go with the 32 because that's what you want,,life is short don't waste your time building what you really don't want.

You might find a glass body for 8 grand but Brookville 3 windows start at 24,000,,,just the body,,no frills.

Face the hard truth,,your 62,,how many years do you want to invest in body work and building with a Model A or a beat up old Duece for that matter,,buy a good quality body and you will be ahead of the game.

I have built both steel and glass and have enjoyed both very much. HRP

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010

10. now when you say 8k, are you talking fiberglass?? cause personally i would rather have a steel model a than a glass 32.

ive seen nice glass cars, but building one sucks. i helped a guy do a 34 glass car and i never felt so limited before in my life, i couldnt stand not being able to bend or shape or weld on the skin of the car. it was challenge.

11. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

To some people, it would always be a replica "kit car".

12. If you have wanted a 32 that long, you should get one. I have owned several old cars but still wanted the 32 I saw in 1955 setting across from the school. I didn't get that one but I met the owner several years ago and he still has that 32. Make yourself happy.. Don't worry about us....IMHO

13. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

GO for it ... :)
    Why settle for less than WHAT YOU WANT ??

There are folks who prefer ( or say they prefer :rolleyes: ) Model A's.
    Model A's are OK ... if that is what you want. I could have gotten a NICER 33 3W coupe for less money than I gave for my 32 3W coupe. I really like 33's but it was NOT what I wanted to build.

Spend your $$$ and time on something YOU WANT ... and do not worry about what anyone else thinks.

REMEMBER ... You NEVER pay too much for 32 Ford stuff ...

You just bought it a little EARLY ...
    :eek:

14. I want to know where you can get an "All steel Reproduction" 32 coupe body for $8k !!!!

15. TREE

TREE
    from Piqua,OH

do the '32 Bob, and do it in real Henry steel !

Ever since I was a young boy, I have loved '32s, but always thought I couldn't afford one. Then one day about 3 1/2 years ago, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had 5 cars in the garage and a ton of parts I had hoarded through the years. You know, if I sell 4 of the cars and a good chunk of the parts , I could get the '32 coupe I've always wanted.

So, thats what I did. All the cars that I sold I really liked but they weren't '32s. Sold all the parts except the '32 stuff that I had. And went on the hunt for the 1932 Ford that I always wanted.

I found a full fendered '32 5 window, all Henry steel. It was an old hot rod that needed some attention. Nothing major, just numerous minor stuff. The seller's price was 35k FIRM. The car was sitting in my garage a week later and I didn't pay anything close to 35k for it.

It sounds like you've been really patient through the years, GET YOUR DREAM CAR MAN...DON'T SETTLE..:)

16. 32fivewindow

32fivewindow
    from USA!

I say buy a crumpled up old drag or roundy-round body like I did for 6 grand, buy 3-4 grand in patch panels, and be into a nice semi-original body. If you do the work yourself, you can get into pretty cheap. Hey winters coming, crack a couple beers, grab the hammer and welder and do it.