Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Two Lane Blacktop Revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CONNMAN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

2. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,,I guess the only way to REALLY clear this up ,,is sum a you guys in Sante Fe ,,go see the guy that claims to be the owner ,,,a year or two ago ,,he told a TLB member it was a Chevy ,,?? Oh,,and he also still owns that Hippie Van the "Girl" got out of when she joined the "Guys" in their '55 at that resturant ,,,,he's got a hot rod shop there in Sante Fe ,,,go see himm ,,

3. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Conn, I know the guy and the car seems legit.

He does not own a hippie van but he does own a 30s chevy truck also used in the Drive up scene.

I sent his info to Walt on TLB if he ever wants to contact him.

4. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,since the driver of that '30 Chevy Truck smoked "Wackey Tobaccy" and got Stoned at every turn ,,i'd call that a "Hippie Van/Truck" lol,,lol,,been there / done that ,,lol,,lol,,

5. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Conn - the yellow / green truck seen in this shot behind the TL car.
    He still has It in this exact shape.
    No Hippies here

[​IMG]

6. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Oh ,,I'm Sorry ,,i was referring to that "Flower Power" truck the "Girl" got out of & got in the '55 ,,doesn't he own that too ???

7. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

aint that a diamond T BOX VAN. im sure its for sale on desert classics or somthin like that,.

as for this ford chevy thing ive been checking out some old mags ive got here n all them old chevys had that extra swage line.,which that green or blue car aint got,.no model A fords had it.,i knowthe 32 ford was differnt as i had one a while back,.,we got a 30 model A here now n thats the same as the blue ex tlb coupe,.what are the chances thats the real car from that movie,.can anyone realy back it up with hard proof,.if it is the real deal how cool would it be to see back into the trim it wore in its 15 mins of fame on the silver screen....anyway il take the pepsi challange its a ford,.

8. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

No, but I remember the guy trying to sell it on Walt's site of like 30k or something,

yea still wackey tobaccy on that one lol

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I've had a '31 Model A before ,,and a '33/34 Chevy Coupe ,,,BUT ,,I'll take the Budweiser Challange ,,based on that sun viser does NOT go all the way to the edge of the cab,and is much narrower than the "A's" ,, ,,It's a CHEVY !!!,,,,,
    Have Another Cold one ,,Bbrrrrp !!! lol,,lol,,

10. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Just a side note ,,those Cal Custom Valve Covers on that BB in the Green Coupe???,i ran a set just like em on my 396 in my '54 Ford P/Up C/Gasser in '68-'69,,those are special too me ,,memories you see,, ,,,

11. gearwood

gearwood

I showed my dad the Blue car in question in the Garage (green in the movie) setting next to the White corvette. My dad said the guy owned the white vette back in the 70’s also. So I would be willing to put money it’s the original car in the movie.

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Hey,,,That's REALLY KQQL ,,glad your Dad is still alive & well and can relate this stuff ,,God Bless Him,,not many Dads are around from back thenanymore ,,
    BUT ,,the question REALLY is ,,is that Blue / Green Coupe a Ford ?? or ,,a Chevy ?? what does your Dad think ???,,
    BTW; how old is he ?? i'm 67 going on 68 in a couple months ,,,started drag racing Jimmy six powered dragster when i was 15 ,,at the old Des Moines,Iowa Drag Strip ,,street raced my Dads new '57 Chevy when i turned 16 ,,
    bet your Dad has sum good old stories too ,,
    Us old ,"Dads" need to get together and write a book ,,before we're gone forever ,,

13. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

It seems Carter Carbs sponsered part of this movie ,,thus the "Mechanic" saying the Green Coupe had "Carter Carbs" and ,,,GTO saying his "Goat" had a "Carter Carb Hi Rise" ,,when we all knew ,,when the "Driver" went to the parts store and asked for a "Quadra Jet Rebuild Kit" ,,it had a Leaky 'Q-Jet" ,,funny on a brand new car tho ,,my '69 SS396 350hp had a Q-Jet ,,it NEVER leaked a drop ,,'course,,i did a Baldwin-Motion Trick to it ,,it ran GREAT !!! Loved those good ole Q-Jets ,,,set up right ,,they'd out perform any carb ,,,

14. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

The owner of the Green 30's truck is Ben Cordova (Ben' Automotive Services, Santa Fe, New Mexico). I saw the truck in person a few yrs. ago and it still looks just as it did in the movie.

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Yes,,i talked to my best friend of over 50 years ,,Bob Nall of the "Adult Toy Factory" in Las Cruces ,N Mex ,,he knows the guy ,,has had a lot of dealings with him ,,said he's a real straight shooter anna nice guy ,,Bob says whatever Ben says ,,is real ,,

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

65PANELRAT: i was stationed at Walker AFB ,,at Roswell,N Mex in the early '60's ,when Bob moved to Las Cruces from Iowa and started his hot rod shop ,I used to hitch hike to Las Cruces on weekends to see Bob ,,and ,,of coarse ,,go to Juarez for sum fun,,i left in late '63 for Elmindof A F B in Alaska ,,

17. 65PANELRAT

65PANELRAT

Hi Connman, I grew up in Santa Fe, and my parents still live there. I have taken courses at the old Air Force Base in Roswell with my job. I am familiar with Bob's great work and reputation for building great Hot Rods!

18. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Also;;; "Coke" had a big part in sponsering this movie ,,,watch the movie ,,how many "Coke" signs do you see ?? ,,how many "Pepsi" signs ?? any Fords HoLighted in it ?? how many Fords do you see compared to MOPARS ??,,
    Answer: over 100 Coke signs ,,NO Pepsi signs at ALL !!!
    Answer #2: 'cept for a few in the background at the drags ,,No Fords ,,All the Cop Cars were MOPARS ,,and the main drag cars were MOPARS ,,,Chevy & MOPAR helped pay for the movie ,,
    Why did the "Driver" wear a olive drab green Army T Shirt at the peak of the Veitnam War ??,,was he a Draft Dodger ?? or just a sempethetic objectioner ,,
    Why didn't the movie play any Beach Boys Music ?? nor ,,James Taylor music ??,,
    Why did James Taylor say ,,"I'll never do another movie " //?? and he never did ,,this was his one and only ,,even tho the ending to TLB left the door open for a sequal ,,?? which WAS planned ,,

19. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Hey Man ,,Thats Great ,,,Walker was a GREAT BASE ,,too bad they shut it down ,,nuthin' like 45 or so B-52's taking off & landing night n day ,,not to mention 40 KC-135's too,,,I had it easy ,,i was a crew chief on a T-33,,we only had two of em ,,for the Missle Officers from the 12 ICBM Missle Silos around Roswell to fly ,,I loved it,,but ,,my mission in Alaska was just as good ,,

20. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

I love New Mexico ,,been wantin' to go back there ever since my wife passed away ,,,in '82 i took her to see New Mexico ,,we almost moved to Reodoso before we moved here ,,now that the "T" is gone ,,i just might get my act together and get there ,,maybe live at Bobs in Cruces fer a spell first ,,but really like Reodoso the best ,,and that secret observation telescope at "Cloud Croft" is awesum ,,along with that narrow guage railroad that goes arond and thru the mountains ,,neet stuff ,,

21. eeluddy

eeluddy

I remember that car racing at St. Thomas Ontario. Still has the Atchison Machine lettering on the quarter

22. eeluddy

eeluddy

That car ran for years here in South west Ontario. I think the driver's name was Sheldon? Atchison Racing run a Funny car these days.

23. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

kQQl and interesting info man ,,great History ,,,thanks ,,

24. gearwood

gearwood

My dad photographed all these picture back in 68.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVpFj_M6n0Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVpFj_M6n0Y?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

25. eeluddy

eeluddy

I well remember the #2 car coming to Ontario. But I was skeptical at the time and didn't know it was an authenic TLB car. Let me check with a coupla guys that have better memories of the car than me. I don't want to put any BS out on it. But for sure that Plum Wild car was a snotty running local car that was ran hard and true. It always shook the quarters when he launched it at a nice hi revvin' dump the clutch style!

26. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

hah?? 31 & 32 chevs are the same.!

27. vh5150

vh5150
    from Arkansas

Just found this thread and thought I would give you some info that you may or may not know. The scene where the GTO and the '55 were racing across the bridge was filmed close to my hometown in a little town called Daisy, AR. The bridges crosses over Lake Greeson. Here is a pic of the bridge as it appears today.

[​IMG]

28. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

HAH !!! '31 Chevys had a sun viser ,,'32 Chevys DIDN'T,,

29. Fast67VelleN2O

Fast67VelleN2O

The carburetors aren't correct. In the movie they ran a pair of Ford FE dual quad carburetors.

-Matt

30. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Cool! One of my favourite scenes! Thanks for sharing!