Register now to get rid of these ads!

Why traditional rods and customs?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ned Ludd, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

My apologies if there is already another thread about this. I'd have done a search had the possible ways of framing the question not been endless.

Why are you guys into traditional rods and/or customs?

I can think that some were actually there and therefore have a nostalgia for those days. Others might have an almost academic interest in this or that aspect of the history, or an aesthetic fascination with the immediate post-war era, or an attraction to a real or perceived value system.

Myself, it's about a type of technology that allows a creative person to engage with it in a completely different way, and on a completely different basis, to other, more recent technologies.

What is the appeal for you?

2. Toner283

Toner283

You know the old saying - If you have to ask........

For me it stirs the soul. Almost instinctual. It tickles that little section of my brain that goes "hell yeah" when a car is just right. new cars don't have any meaning to me. just little plastic bubbles that will not exist 25-30 years from now let alone the 60, 70, 80 years that the cars we love have survived.

I am 33 so I was obviously not around when these cars were first being built and the history we love was being made but I wish I was. Like most of the guys on this board I own several cars & most of them were born well before I was. I think it is one of those things that either you get it right away or you never will.

3. I think the era was a grand one but for me the early 70s is where I am because of a friend who turned me on to the hot rod culture. This friend left us from this earth when we were 17 out running the cops(bad move on his part) in 1979 and now I am building his first car that he never did and that time of looking in the magazines and speed books, Honest Charlie, Blair Speed Equipment,even JC Whitney. This was all around 1973-1975 as we were early teenagers yearning to build what we were seeing in the pages of the day. So that era is my influence for the project "Wildthing". But I think shows such as "American Graffitti" and others and tells of the "old timers" of the 50s and 60s were also influential. I have come to appreciate the late 40s as the begining or our sport and try to understand the technology of today as someday it to will be yesterday.........

4. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

most of us here are simply reinCARnated...

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. I got involved in the older cars in the early 70's and they were more the resto rod style,,,almost stock but not .

That's the style I fell in love with and honestly I haven't strayed too far from that look,,Henry made some beautiful cars and I am a Ford guy,,simple as that. HRP

6. Kaptain Kustom

Kaptain Kustom
    from Finland

You put it out really well. For me it's these of the reasons you mentioned. I'm interested in the old days, and love the combination of beautiful form and simple, appropriate function.

7. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I think it's a GOOD question to ask, and anyone who gives you hell for asking it in a tasteful manner is just being a jerk. You're asking what motivates people that are much younger than the golden age in which the hobby began into being active at keeping it alive. I'm only working on my first ride, and just got it road worthy; however, I still don't consider myself on the "inside" or "part of the gang". Perhaps others like me feel the same way?

I do it because I feel that it's going back and preserving things that have been lost not only in cars, but in product in general.......quality, thoughtfulness of design, designs that persevere through the ages, AMERICAN made.....when that REALLY meant something, technology before it became weighed down by CAFE "standards", technology that was easy for the common man to work on and afford and didn't have obsolescence engineered into it.

I think it also goes back to the idea that *I* have built something that moves me. I may not be inventing the wheel or the flying machine, but it feels damn near close at times :)

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

9. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Industrial age Gizmoness is artwork.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Because hot rods are fast and customs are good for pickin' up chicks!

11. yblock292

yblock292

cuz they're kool

12. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I lifted this from a post I made on a completely different thread;

Quote:
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset">Originally Posted by Richard D [​IMG]
    Damn, this just reinforces the feelings I've always had that I was born 30 years too late...must have been a great time to be a hot rodder!
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    I know exactly what you mean man,but for me it's the whole nine yards,the cars,clothes,chicks,music,furniture,architecture and the complete absence of gangsta rap,gangsta-billies and rat kulture.That period in time still exists in glorious black & white and technicolor, in a place in my head I call Finksville, along with a liberal sprinkling of neon, sleaze, and by todays standards, mild delinquency where the '50's ends in '63.My friends and I try to emulate it in our everyday lives, much to the confusion of all the grey people in their soulless silver car,sleepwalking through this soulless,grey rodent race modern day existence seems to have become. I spend as much time in Finksville as possible.
    No poodle skirts allowed.
    Paul.

I, along with plenty of others hate the term "lifestyle". My obsession with the 50s and the early 60s is a way of life that chose me, not the other way round and involves music, cars, bikes, clothes, furniture, vinyl records etc etc etc. I would no more be seen dead in a Nissan than I would be seen dead in a 70s Vegas style Elvis jumpsuit. For the life of me I cannot explain why, it's just the way I'm wired. Weird, huh?
    Paul
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

13. mrrocket

mrrocket

It brings me peace in my head to work on my car. Always has since 13 years old. At 36 I am finding the peace in cars I had lost as a pro-technician and shop owner. It allows me play, build, fix, create and plan and dream in my head about something beside my "work", and I LOVE my work. I feel a little slower in my old car, even when going fast.

And of course the lines, the beauty of simplicity (compared to modern tech) and the sound of a inline 6 purring or a v8 rumbling...hard to beat the feeling it gives me. Why? Must be the farm days, the old tractor feel and smell. The smell of my childhood in my dads work farm truck...all the same to me.

14. to me its a higher level of craftsmanship. new school versus old school is like high school football versus NFL. Their are some talented high school players, but the best are in the pros. my opinion

15. cuz i read about it in ol skool rodz and decided to build me a rat myself

16. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I'm 26 and I'll tell you what got me interested. My dad has had his model A coupe since 1962. The car has gone through all the changes that you would expect in 40 years. In the early 90's he decided he was going to redo it to the way he first built it in '62, before all his friends pressured him to go OHV and whatnot. I grew up around that car being built as it was in '62.

17. saints

saints

I&#8217;m a new traditionalist so for me it was the history behind it I love the era and the simple style of the model a's......also the 50's cars had style and was from a time that America was strong into values, class, and making cars different from year to year&#8230;&#8230;look at a 2006 impala and then a 60&#8217;s impala which would you buy&#8230;..And customs it speaks for itself your own style and the fabrication that goes into the simple subtle things <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

18. I grew up in the '50's and '60's and all my friends and their older brothers were into cars and drag racing and everything that went along with that life style. That time in my life is were I got my addiction, if you will, to this era of cars and trucks. Though through life not always being able to build,drive, or own a hotrod I never lost the passion for these cars. Now I am retired of sorts and get to feed my addiction daily in my little shop.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  19. Larry T

Larry T

While it's a little later than the main focus of the board, the 60's and 70's were my "Glory Days". I never left that era behind.
    Larry T

20. Pins&Needles

Pins&Needles
    from Santa Cruz

Ah tradition.... If you think back to those times and the world events going on, not only in the car scene, it about sums it up for me. There was a juxtaposition at hand, on one hand the world was racing into a new age of industrialism, and engineering, working to put men on the moon. On the other hand there were a whole bunch of youth trying to separate themselves from their parents and carve their own path... in many ways hot rodding was the first sub-culture. Either way you spin it both paths had one thing in common... Pride. In this day and age people were proud of what they did, proud of their work, proud of who they were and where they were, and it showed. I revel in building my hot rods and customs in a traditional manner because it was a time in our history where America really had a culture. Unlike this day and age where everyone is stagnated in what they do or where they feel the world is going, there was hope back then, vision for the future, creativity not suppressed by big business or government law. There was a feeling of true freedom and I plan to hold on to that memory as long as possible.

21. loco_gringo

loco_gringo

Why???

"Well, duh, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Dang!" - Joe Dirt.:D

22. pitman

pitman

Ned asks, and this response comes back! Bingo! :D

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

this question is way too deep for my shallow mind.

24. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

all of the above, i love everything about it.

25. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

I was born in '72. My first word was "car." Back then, it was easy for me to tell any car by its taillights, and every car was fairly unique in style and design. By '77 I had latched on to my car obsessed uncle who was born in the 50s. Thanks to him, I grew up reading CARToons, Car Craft, Hot Rod, and other magazines, many of which were from before I was born. I rode around in his Chevelles, VWs, custom trikes, Edsels, and anything else he got his hands on.

When it came time, I cut my teeth on second and third generation Camaros and Firebirds. I quickly evolved backwards to 60s muscle cars. Meanwhile, I grew up to be an artist and designer, and a writer and musician on the side. Anything creative, I wanted to be a part of it.

Funny thing though, as the muscle cars became more valuable and more highly prized, there was less and less room for creativity. It's gotten to the point where it would be not just blasphemous, but financially irresponsible to do much of anything creative with my Dodge ('69 Coronet R/T w 440/6bbl). While driving these cars can be a blast, there isn't much fun in restoring something back to stock. I longed for something I could use creativity and imagination on as part of my ongoing automotive obsession.

I remembered the '32 Deuce Hot Wheels I had as a kid, and other customs that excited me. I remembered the tri-fives my uncle has tucked away, and all the other cool stuff he's collected over the years. On a separate path, my love of guitars also took me back to the 50s and 60s, unifying a love for an era and an aesthetic that came and went.

26. Well, what looks right, just looks RIGHT.

27. In addition to having been there for a portion of that era, many of us also endured the evolution of hotrodding..the morphing from backyard builders to the well-to-do paying a builder to put them in an IFS/Tilt Steering/PS/AC/350/350..etc. My distaste for that movement strengthened my affinity with the traditional hot rod.

I personally am not into customs, but appreciate a well done, understated build.

Not into the scene..music/clothes/hair styles/etc developed based on today's interpretation of that era at all. Trust me..there were a lot of hot rodders wearing Weejuns and sweaters and sporting flattop hair cuts. The ducktailed, big cuffed jeans/white tee shirt image is a stereotype largely created by the movies.

28. Rod Zombie

Rod Zombie
    from Florida

29. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

I grew up in the 50's and 60's and I guess I am stuck there as most of the people I know are. The cars had style your friends stuck with you thru thick and thin. Just hanging out talking cars, cruising the loop, helping a friend pull and engine, all of that still moves me, will until the day I die. Now days it just moves to fast for me twitter, e-mail, instant this instant that, video games, where is the human connection it that? Could go on and on but.....................

30. [QUOTE
    For me it stirs the soul. Almost instinctual. It tickles that little section of my brain that goes "hell yeah" when a car is just right. new cars don't have any meaning to me. just little plastic bubbles that will not exist 25-30 years from now let alone the 60, 70, 80 years that the cars we love have survived.

I am 33 so I was obviously not around when these cars were first being built and the history we love was being made but I wish I was. Like most of the guys on this board I own several cars & most of them were born well before I was. I think it is one of those things that either you get it right away or you never will.[/QUOTE]

YA, What he said....

I can't explain it any better than that - now if I could just get my wife to understand...:eek:

When I'm driving one of my old cars to a show, or just out to run errands, there is just something magical about it.

Give me a country road at dawn with the sun just coming up and it's pure heaven. I'll have my elbow hanging out the window and, for a few moments, all is right with the world. I get goosebumps just thinking about it as I write this.

WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH ME!!!!!!

What ever it is, I don't want to be cured! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.