Register now to get rid of these ads!

1933 Chevy coupe restoration chronicle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Feb 27, 2007.

1. john56h

john56h

I don't think it sold that day...unfortunately I didn't get the seller's phone number.

And yeah...I think the suicide doors makes it a 35...good catch! They're all the same once the are welded shut, right?

2. john56h

john56h

Thanks for the encouragement! It is a quite ambitious project, but we've made some nice cars from "junk" before...so we jumped in with both feet.

While Fords were much more prevalent in oval racing during the 50's, Chevrolets became a very popular choice during the 60's when rules started to allow the cars to be retrofitted with overhead valve V-8 engines. Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures of this car from it's racing days (I would love to find some though)....but here are some pictures of a few similar cars from the mid 60's era:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

John, I love this car, keep up the excellent work!

4. john56h

john56h

I was dusting off the old #7 project last night. Racing season is about over and it's time to get back on this "on-going" project.

I was taking a closer look at my radiator shell which is for a 34 Chevy and I remembered now how rough it really is. If anyone has a 33 or 34 Chevy radiator shell that they'd like to cut loose cheap...please let me know. We have really LOW standards as far as condition goes, so don't be a fraid to pull it out of a rusty scrap pile. Thanks.

5. 8flat

8flat

I just bought a pretty decent one off eGay last month for my '33 master, got it for only $150. Keep your eye peeled, they pop up every few months or so.

Gary

6. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

I love these old modifieds, lots of good tech here too keep us posted.
    this 57 is a modified that I am dreaming about building a streetable version of... big block 4spd and 410 gears .... what could be more fun in a hot rod?
    did I miss what motor you are using? cool build so far!!!

Attached Files:

7. noboD

noboD

This thing is Killer, hurry up I want to see it run.

8. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

Wow this is gonna be soooo cool when done.. hell its already freakin cool!.. Really like this thread.. lookin forward to more pics.. i havn't seen one of those chevy bodies out here for sale in a LOOONNGGG time.. must not be many around.
    -Anthony

9. john56h

john56h

We are going to use a 327 Chevy engine. I have a vintage four barrel Edelbrock intake and AFB carburetor, but I haven't ruled out a multiple carb setup yet either. I have a 64 Pontiac tri-power setup that I might cannibalize for the carbs...but I kind of hate to "waste" it, as the Pontiac guys would probably kill for it. Maybe I'll find someone that wants to swap Chevy for Pontiac someday.

PS. thanks everyone....for the nice comments and compliments!:)

10. 1929rats

1929rats

I am REAL impressed with this project so far and will be keeping an eye on it! ---- Let me just say one word to you guys...INSPIRATION!

I have a sweet spot for 31-35 chevy tin anyway

11. racinman

racinman
    Member Emeritus

Great looking car Im glad to see Stock Cars brought back to life! You would think a lot of race cars would still be around... Guess the racers kept trading up each year they raced.
    Keep up the good work! Racinman

12. john56h

john56h

Haven't made any progress lately (shop still in shambles from our move), but I was lucky enough to find some pictures of the original car posted on the 3widespicturevault website. Here they are...from about 1967-68:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love to find more, if anybody has them. These were taken at Middletown, NY.

13. john56h

john56h

UPDATE:

It's been a long time...and sadly, we haven't progressed at all on this project. Just need two things TIME and a HEATED shop for this winter.

Here's a shot of the car being relocated from our old shop to the new one (without the heat).

[​IMG]

14. A northern shop and NO heat!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel cold already.

Did ya' sell that guy the Edcos?

15. john56h,

When you going to start working on the #7 again? It's suppose to be in the 50's this weekend. Can't wait to see some progress. I will be starting a project simular to yours in a week or two. Will need some expert advise in the future.

16. great work you're doing, that's gonna be a neat car!

17. KMAjacko

KMAjacko

Any updates to this build ?? looking good