Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods WWII hanger ...find... found, 32 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirtyest Devil, Sep 8, 2010.

1. 51NINETYEIGHT

51NINETYEIGHT
    BANNED

Awesome! Just wishin Jersey wasnt so far away from St Louie...

2. lorodz

lorodz

great stuff car looks amazing as always ....im sure you will come up with something cool for them buildings

3. studemisfit

studemisfit

love your car by the way. one of my dreams is to own a 32 pretty much just like that. would drive it daily. for now im stuck with my 60's junk as it was cheap and needed a good home. definitely hit me up as i love exploring old buildings(use to "explore" Byberry Mental Hospital and any and all lost farm house and such around my way) and yes i'm jealous as shit right now.

4. Angry Frenchman

Angry Frenchman

hey Mel, I see lots of quonset huts around there. their a little bit of Rhode island on every old U.S. base. never seen the 32 roadster before, very nice

5. Hey cool, you also know of old Bucky Fuller. Before I saw those Dymaxions, I metioned the geometric building over at Forth Monmouth to the historian guy. He then told me he has the giant version all folded up instorage and would like me to make some bunks out of them for the boy scouts. I'll keep you posted with all I find.

This place is about an 8 minute ride from my house. I plan to fix one of the hangers up 1st so I can store my aviation english wheel, a power hammer I got from that long haired bikerguy, Billy Lane, sorry... I couldnt remember his name at 1st, and my louver press. Also my belly tank project. They kinda only want old vintage stuff that fits over there, luckily I have a bunch of stuff in my way over here. Just as I put a steal beam in my garage for a new loft... now I have some free extra space to store. Haha.

6. Thanks for compliments on the roadster guys... I may be changing it around soon.

7. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Mel, You know I am gonna call and help.
    Hey that looks like Showdown Mud. Later. Slim

8. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

I'd love to drive over there for a car show, so please keep us posted on any shows or get togethers.

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

Great find Mel! My Dad recieved a comendation durring WWII for renovating this building on the Great Ashfield B-17 base in England.

Attached Files:

10. 340Fish

340Fish

11. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Wow, too cool! Gonna have to ask my dad about this and stop by sometime!:D:cool: He did some stints at Earl, Lakehurst, Ft. Monmouth, and McGuire.

12. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

13. Goldy

Goldy

Dirtiest Devil, I think that you may be the doer of deeds, that did the deed of Motor Speedway at Englishtown. If so, I know that you will do something cool at this site also. What happened to Motor Speedway??? THAT WAS SUCH A COOL DEAL!! My guess is that the bean counters were not counting enough beans and you got the boot. Best of luck on this one!! Goldy

14. Wow! Sickk! What a great idea...

These guys have no idea how I see this place. I'm going to put my old design and sign painting skills to work for sure. They have a dance floor already... I've been planning an Oilers spegetti dinner and dance for some time, may have found our place. Might be able to do a little Model T race as well, we'll see. Hey, ya gotta dream!

15. 296ardun

296ardun

My other hobby is military bases (wrote 2 books on base closure), but never heard of Camp Evans...but it is a very important historical site...it was a Marconi station before and after WWI, and was associated with Ft Monmouth, as earlier pointed out...the Navy ran it until the mid-30s, then it became a private club, then the Army took it during WWII and worked on radar experiments there...(it was later investigated by Sen Joseph McCarthy who suspected that Soviet spys were there). Apparently it is now being turned over to InfoAge, which is affiliated with a local community college. Thanks for posting this, most of us are interested in preserving history, whether it be historic hot rods or historic buildings.

16. Hahaha... Well. It was me, and I appreciate your kind words... I worked my ass over there, and really for nothing. I had a blast with my friends though, priceless.

I almost don't have to say anything, cause you all know what a shithole the place really is. Truthfully, I'm not sure if I can tell the truth online. Drugs and retardation may be too taboo to talk about.

17. BigDaddySteamRoller

BigDaddySteamRoller
    from Phila, PA

hey Mel,

All I can offer is sweat. You need a set of hands doing grunt work on a weekend, let me know.

Steve

18. You are right sir, all true! Sick place... Needs some help, all easy too. Looking forward to helping. And more forward to exploring! Love this stuff too.

19. Wow... I'm surprised at how many outta towners are willing to help. So cool.

Locals know of the place, but not much goes on there. The college is now using a piece of it which is cool. It needs some action! Hope to bring some more good people and activities out here. I know a ton of cool folk interested in neat stuff. We'll see what happends.

20. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

Great site. I was stationed at Lakehurst, twice, once in 68 for AG "A" school and then again in 69 for ASWEPS "C" school. Never heard of Evans but I did have a buddy stationed at Monmoth and probably passed it several times.

21. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

cool deal mel. sounds like it could be a cooler joint then englishtown. keep looking around maybe you will find an air field nearby. ill lend a hand when needed. any new news mel?

22. I can remember driving past this site in the early 50's. My folks had friends with a summer place on the Shark river, and we visited them often.

Did a little Googling and came up with this...

Army Research
    During and after World War II, Camp Evans was an important Black history site. Black engineers made major contributions to electronic research, development, product distribution and training.
    After World War II, the Army kept Camp Evans as a research facility. The base was part of Project Paperclip, under which German scientists and engineers were relocated and employed by the U.S. Army, including Wernher von Braun. Project Diana opened the space age, showing that radio waves could pierce the ionosphere. This proved that communication was possible between the Earth and space, opening the possibility of space exploration. Other contributions included work on light-emitting diodes, night vision goggles, and many other important developments.
    Senator Joseph McCarthy, Roy Cohn, and others came to Camp Evans on October 20, 1953. McCarthy claimed that the Army's "house of magic" was really a "house of spies." Julius Rosenberg was executed for supposedly stealing radar and proximity fuze information from Fort Monmouth while working there as an electrical engineer in the 1940s. (Documents released by Russia after the Cold War showed that Mr. Rosenberg was indeed, a Soviet Spy.) McCarthy's visit destroyed careers and led to the creation of the "leper colony" - where those who could no longer be trusted with top secret information worked. None of the Camp Evans employees whom McCarthy investigated in 1953 and 1954 were ever prosecuted.
    The U.S. Army Signal Corps scientists at Camp Evans and Deal Test Site in Ocean Township tracked Sputnik. The Institute for Exploratory Research was created and based out of Camp Evans. The army base played an important role in satellite development and space exploration. Dr. Hans Ziegler was responsible for the first application of solar cells as a power source for satellites.
    Camp Evans played an important role in the development of the silicon transistor. It featured a nuclear dosimetry laboratory and a photo-optics lab. It tracked Pioneer 5. Camp Evans worked with projects Joint STARS, REMBASS, Firefinder, Pulsed Power (part of Ronald Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative), and others.

23. 666Irish

666Irish

I'm in for lending a hand. Just a couple hours away. I'm pretty much a Jack-ass of all trades. My hands and my back are yours when you need them. I also have a truck and 20 foot trailer (one aluminum, one steel) for things that need to be moved there.

Is there an old airfield there at all? if so, it might be good for vintage drags or rod runs.

24. jetmek

jetmek

hey mel what happened with the old dealership thing you were telling me about? keep your eyes open for the power plant,,,i got the flatty for my model t from a radar base up here that was decommisioned in the mid 70's it ran the emergency waterpump[/generator. must have a fallout shelter somewhere too that would be cool to explore...

25. storm king

storm king

With the right opportunity, that's ALMOST enough motivation for me to move back to the northest! Excellent place to renovate and opperate!

26. Some real interesting stuff has gone on out here at Evans. I read the site also, but didn't have time to post the info. We had some kind of power surge here a few days ago and it took out our internet, blew all our power strips too. Finally back up and running...

Thanks for info!

27. Will do Al... My plan was to investigate this Sunnday as it is the only official day they are open to exsplore. I was able to do a quick drive by but didn't have enough time to stop. So hopefully next Sunday.

The old dealship wanted too much money per month...
    Thing is, Evans has enough room for my idea. Now I just need to get out there, check out the conditions of the buildings to see if something like this could fly. Also have to talk to the staff over there to see if they would be into it. I know most of the folks out there now are doing non profit organizations, which I'd like to do a small museum of our own in one of the buildings. But my car storage idea might help me and others out, while they get payed to help get more accomplished out there at the base. I'll keep you posted...

Its raining here today, looks like for three days. My 32 roadster is outside with a roof over it, no walls, at the neighbors. My friend Jims car I'm working on right now is under a tarp, and the guy that ran out of monies car is taking up my shop space. Can't wait to solve this storage sitch. Ugggghh. Think I'll start loading for Hershey. Can't wait!

28. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like your on to something special. What a great place to have a car club Garage. Clean up a building and get it stocked and equipped with all of the tools and equipment needed to do projects and have meetings there. I am officially jealous.:)

Frank

29. To all you other guys...

Can't believe you all wanna, so cool! I really wanted to just show you pics of this neat old place, never thought I would get so many people wanting to help. When I let these guys know, they will flip.
    This place looks so insane, and I've really only been in one bldg. so far. I had a busy Sunday and couldn't stop, but I have there #, so I'll give a buzz and see if I can get over there in the next couple days during the rain storm we have, I've got some down time.

Thanks all, keep you posted!

30. Actually, it really wouldn't be an offical car club spot where we meet up. We oiler guys are just 5 best friends that all live and hour or more from each other. My buddies Mike and Rick live a and hour from me, and Jeremy and Al live up in the Albany NY area. So unfortunetly... we don't see each other enough.

We do all have garages packed with stuff which makes working hard in our spaces. So maybe if we did a display, we could free up some work space at home. We have a Flathead powered dragster almost finished which I think is in Als way, but it also could go to Jeremy's. Jeremy has my belly tank project. I have some big tools like a louver punch and old aircraft vintage wheel, and this big power hammer/former from 1901 that I don't use that often. Be nice to keep them close so I could use it, but out of my daily work space. I have too many parts too... If I could hang them up out there, be great as well.

I was working on a car storage facility... there was an old show room in this auto dealship building I was looking into. We were going to do a display in it to attract biz, but really it was so we could get the cars out of our work spaces. Hahahaa.