Register now to get rid of these ads!

OT--What does rockabilly have to do with car shows???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by photofink, Sep 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photofink

photofink

Whats the deal with socal car shows and rockabilly?
    We must as a group have a wider preference in music. Now dont get me wrong, I like some rockabilly, but to hear it all day??
    Why cant show promoters get DJs to play a wider variety of music?( Im not talking about modern pop, hip hop and top 40 junk either)
    Whats wrong with classic rock, 70's hard rock, old and modern blues, old R&B, 50's and 60's rock/surf instrumentals, indie, "mild mid 70's punk" like X and the Clash, classic country other than Johnny Cash, hippie junk (like Grateful Dead, quicksilver messenger, big brother, Jimi, flying burrito bros, Doors, canned heat), 60's East L.A. cruisin stuff, real Sun rockabilly(not the whole time), Big Band, 50's Exotica, 50's-60's mambo, Texas swing???????? Now I know there are extremes of the aforementioned music that can either be annoying or not family friendly, and Im not talking about that stuff. Imagine a show thats plays a little something for everyone?
    Sorry just had to vent a little...Maybe I need to get in the car show DJ biz :).

2. Joe King

Joe King

What does rockabilly have to do with car shows???

Grease

3. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I hear yah, but I'm pretty sure this won't end up pretty.

4. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

But the WHO, the Stone's and Zepp keep turning the gig down......

PS, Lay off Big Brother!! Janis Joplin was the GREATEST!! And James gurley was a legend (RIP man).

5. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

they might as well delete this post now before the drama starts lol

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

Could be worse...

We get the Monkees and the Beach Boys.

7. Just Jones

Just Jones

If you have to ask, you'll never understand.

8. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The WIGGLES!!

9. Shade Tree McGhee

Shade Tree McGhee

You bring up a great point Photofink. More music was around in the 50s than Rockabilly, hot rods have been around since before Rockabilly, and I don't think the fact that we like cars necessarily means that we even like Rockabilly... I do happen to like Rockabilly, but I sure as hell wouldn't listen to it all day on any day ever, if I had the choice. Even if we want our music to be as traditional as our cars, there's plenty more music to be had from back in the day.

10. Why the hell do we need music at all at car shows? If I want to hear music Ill go see a band at a club or bar.

11. mcisneros

mcisneros

i dont pay enough attention,,,, to busy having fun!!

12. photofink

photofink

HAHA
    I would play Steppin' Stone and 409...not too bad.

13. John Denich

John Denich

HAHAHA!!! No Seriously HAHAHA!!! Please explain then! I own a couple really traditional Customs...and don't listen to Rockabilly! never have! So please enlighten us Explain why!

14. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I can't hear much over the music in my head that plays non stop.

what kind of car was it?

15. John Denich

John Denich

Mine sounds more like a Phone Ringing.........

16. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I spin records at a few car shows a year. Everytime someone will come up and let me know that they are a better DJ then I am. I used to invite them to dig through the crate and make a couple selections. Now I just hand them a clipboard and ask them to write their requests down. If I used that list to pick the tunes out I could bring a few records; the Greased Lightning soundtrack and a 50's doo-wop box set.
    I'm a big fan of surf, punk, exotica, blues, and garage. I try to mix it up best I can. Most of the rockabilly I do spin most people probably haven't heard before.
    I may have been absent the day they handed out the "car show soundtrack" from what I hear at most events...

Also, please let the record show I do not own a Beach Boys or Monkees album.

17. Chebby belair

Chebby belair
    from Australia

A lot of jalopy stuff I dig is pre rock'n'roll, so its more Kenton and Babs Gonzales for me.

Maddox Brothers and Rose in a pinch.

18. metalshapes

metalshapes

Could you please move to Tucson?

We need you...

19. Nick Flores

Nick Flores

I'm just a phone call and a two hour drive away!

20. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

I like some rockabilly and most of the time, all the hot looking pin-ups attend that kind of show. Even my wife likes it because it makes for better people watching. The shows I've been to that play 60's pop are usually boring.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

rockabilly bias-plys don't have white walls, they have sideburns. that's how you tell the difference. I have yet to see one mounted on a car I like.

22. cruzr

cruzr

I go back to the late 50's as a Hot Rodder, i never heard "Rockabilly" like what is played now when i was young. To me its something that was" imagined " by the younger set and now the myth has become reality.

23. I would like a car show where they played nothing but Bette Midler and Michael Bolton!! Man would that be a treat! Could you just imagine slamming cold daddies with your buddies and checking out the cars as "wing beneath my wings" blasts over the speakers? One can only dream...

24. Just Jones

Just Jones

Pretty tough behind that keyboard, eh Johnny boy? Dont be a dick.

If you don't listen to rockabilly, fine. Listen to whatever you want. If you dont understand why rockabilly seems to be connected with traditional car shows, then that is for you to figure out. I'm not going to be the one to explain it to you or anyone else. You either get it or you don't. You don't. Ok.

But does it really matter? It's only car shows, and it's only rock and roll. Lighten up.

25. Wikipedia defines Rockabilly as:

Rockabilly is one of the earliest styles of rock and roll music, and emerged in the early 1950s.

The term rockabilly is a portmanteau of rock (from rock 'n' roll) and hillbilly, the latter a reference to the country music (often called hillbilly music in the 1940s and 1950s) that contributed strongly to the style's development. Other important influences on rockabilly include western swing, boogie woogie, and rhythm and blues. While there are notable exceptions, its origins lie primarily in the Southern United States.

The influence and popularity of the style waned in the 1960s, but during the late 1970s and early 1980s, rockabilly enjoyed a major revival of popularity that has endured to the present, often within a rockabilly subculture.

I like some of the rockabilly material, but also like other "old rock n roll"
    music as well. I grew up in the 50s and 60s. Worked in an old rock
    band for over 20 years, and we played several car shows along the way.
    Our tunes with Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jimmy Reed, Carl Perkins
    and others seemed to fit pretty good. Just my .02.

26. poofus1929

poofus1929
    from So Cal

God those guys suck. My sons dvd's some how got lost. Wink wink!:D

27. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6btGYARpV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6btGYARpV8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

28. LIL.TIMMYUser Name

LIL.TIMMYUser Name

Can't believe no-ones suggested LEMMY:rolleyes: What could be better than a band named MOTORHEAD! he's into hotrods as well iirc.

29. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Its the poser mating call. Like a secret handshake, they know there amoung friends. Dont get me started.

30. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

I never understood why either.. Maybe its because it fits in with the whole 50's cliche, like poodle skirts, excessivley rolled up jeans, converse.... the list goes on.
    In my opinion, "Rockabilly" doesn't fit the aggressive style of most hot rods.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.