Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Two Lane Blacktop Revisited

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CONNMAN, Jul 14, 2010.

1. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

heres the flip open cap.,we call em monza caps after the race track.,

anyway it all works,dont fill as fast but thats the trade off i guess........also the view looking into that famous scoop that every one hates.,,,8k tach will go in soon as well as a carpet.,,.,.,.,.

Attached Files:

2. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

Haha, check out the new "Hot Rod Deluxe" there is even a How to TLB Scoop! Cool!

The Graffiti '55 sucks, 'cause there is a front bumper on, and I do not like it on a Gasser '55. It just dosn't belong there for my taste. And it sucks, 'cause the TLB is unbeatable! ;)

Again, Dennis Wilsons style is it! Classic American. Jeans jacket, T Shirt, dirty bootcut Jeans, engeneer boots, long sideburns, longer not combed hair.

No Bullshit Tattoo, piercings, whatever Kustom Kulture Kitsch nowadays everyone is overdoin'. Just plain simple. A bit dirty, a dose sexy, and somewhat tough. Like the car.

3. Gator Mc Klusky

Gator Mc Klusky

By the way how can somebody get the original rear tires? I believe those were those FIRESTONE Gold streak, or what they were called (Goodyear race tires were Blue Streak so 'stones probably other name) I believe they were on every rod race car, buggy, trike whatever in the 60's juding from old pics, but I haven't seen any for sale, or remade... Would be bitchin to have them. They have "That look" I like so much.

4. gearwood

gearwood

Hi,

My dad ran a Man-A-Fre BBC intake back in the mid 1970s. He got it from a guy in Santa Fe NM where he lived at the time, this guy owned the 32 Chevy. The guy he purchased it from his car was featured in the movie Two-Lane Blacktop (1971). I found the car my dad ran back then, it was a 1962 tempest. After all this time my dad cannot remember what type of carburetors where on it, they are now missing however I still have in intake and heads. So my question is what was the typical type installed. Also the engine was a 409 block if I remember correctly.

http://www.gosantafe.com/manafre/

Thank you.

5. whats the bolt pattern>> three hole or more squared four hole,either way its a killer manifold.....and a 409/348 isnt really a BBC did it have W shaped heads??.........

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  6. aircoup

aircoup

holy shit talk about your DRAMA...................

7. ???????????????????? where????????????????:confused:

8. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

That "Man-A-Fre" on the '32 Chevy 'w the 396/427 BB Chevy (Not a 409)_ ,,ran Four Rochester 2GC two barrel carbs,,,much like the GTO Three Duece Set-Ups Ran ,,Man-A-Fre didn't make a manifold for the 348/409 "W" motor ,,only the SB and BB motors for Chevy's ,,they did make intakes for some Ford & MOPAR motors tho ,i even saw a intake for a AMC 390 motor back in '69 ,,pretty rare tho ,,in '66 ,,i ran a Man-A-Fre on my 283 & my 301 SB fer a spell untill i could afford a Hilborn Injection for it,,,

9. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>Sorry; some of the very early Man-A-Fre's did use the Stromberg 97's with the three bolt bases ,,buit went by the way side pretty fast after the much better Rochester 2GC's came out ,,

10. Here's a local clone, he says the windows really suck for letting any kind of air in..lol

[​IMG]

11. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

Just to have it straight,
    The 32 is actually a 31 Ford with a Chevy grill.

12. Raunchy

Raunchy

I have always liked the Grump Lump and thought it really made the car. I like the drag look more than the perfect aesthetics of a show car. It's just what you like. I fully intend on having one on my 55. My car won't be a clone but will have influence from TLB and my own memories from the 60's and 70's.

13. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

nice.,.,bit clean,but nice,still running the stock front clip i see,..,

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

SORRY,,But You Are WRONG ,,look at the windshield ,,the side windows ,,It's a '32 CHEVY !!!

15. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

That '32 Chevy is still alive n well in Sante Fe ,,still owned by the original owner that leased it to the studio AND drove it in the movie ,,however now painted blue with new fenders n such ,,soon to be restored back to the TLB movie form ,,

16. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

>>PLUS; those were NOT Carter Carbs as the Mechanic Stated,,they were FOUR Rochester 2GC's on a Man-A-Fre intake,,and how the mechanic could tell it was a 427 ,,not a 396 ,or even a 454 ,is ,,well ,,movie talk ,yep,,truth turned out ? it was a 396 ,,10 inches a rubber was actually 10 anna half inches ,,but,,we'll let em slide on that one,,,

17. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

TLB wasn't the only movie with a little "Miss Information" ,,Grafitti was guilty too ,,it was said ,,that white '58 Chevy " Had a 327 with Six Dueces" ,,Ya Right ,,it had a stock 348 / Tri-power ,,and that black '55 with a 409 ?? nope ,,it had the L-88 427 it had in TLB ,,thats why they never opened the front n showed the motor ,,,427's didn't exist yet in '62 ,,"Where Were You in Sixty Two ??",,

18. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

BTW; it was true in Grafitti when Milner said "That '55 was beatin' me" ,,it did in several takes ,,in the final scene ,,they had to disconnect the secondaries on those two 660 Holleys on the'55 and told the stunt driver to short shift n let the "Duece" get ahead ,,then they brought in the no. 3 '55 for the roll over scene ,,and that "Junk Yard Dog" they set on fire ,,the '55 ran 10'50's ,,that "Duece Coupe" was a 12 second car ,,it's told about in the "Grafitti" paper back book ,,,,Don't Got The Book ???? where you been ?? go to Amazon.Com or eBay n buy it ,,i wouldn't sell mine fer $200 bucks ,,also,,TLB is in paper back too ,,came out in '70 ,,i wouldn't sell mine fer nuthin' ,,very limited edition ,,

19. I don't think so, there's no seperation line between fenders and hood

20. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

No, not the fender/hood [nose]..He's talking about the frame/suspension from firewall forward [front clip]..

21. gearwood

gearwood

more facts:
    This is the 1962 Tempest my dad raced back in Santa Fe. My dad purchased the Man-A-Fre intake from the green 31 chevy/ford in the movie.
    [​IMG]

I still have it.
    [​IMG]
    My dad does not remmeber the engine, he only got the intake and heads.

[​IMG]

The car today.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2010
  22. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

The owner told me it was a 31 Ford and it sure has the 31 upper Ford side details that go to the hood / cowl. 32 Chevy looks totally different in this area to me.
    I am no expert, I could be wrong. Anyone else want to weight in on this?

[​IMG]

23. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

The orange car is a 32 CHEVROLET 5 window,the other is a model A 31 ford,.check out the swage line on the orange chevy behind the light on the cowl.,then look at the ford.,.,now look at the blue car "ex tlb green 5 window",,.,,.the car in tlb looks like a FORD to me !!

also looked like it had a custom peeked 32 grill shell.

Attached Files:

24. gearwood

gearwood

Not sure on the body lines. But FACT: it did have a Big Block Chevy when filmed. I can verify this.

25. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Well,,i was wrong ,,it wasn't a '32 Chevy ,,it was a '31 Chevy ,,check out the difference in the side windows and the little sun viser compared to the '31 Model A Ford ,,,??? my .92 werth ,,i could be wrong ,,
    [​IMG]

26. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

27. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

Hmmm!! see what you mean,.that sunviser is close.,but look how it sits lower down the screen than the ford,.the tlb one sat higher like the ford has ,also the colour divider trim is there on all the chevs around the side windows, into the front post,,.but none of the fords,.it isnt there on the blue ex tlb car so in my book it points to it being one of henrys,,anyway who gives a fxxk.,.,its a cool flick,with cool cars,.but my money is on it being a ford..

i got my hydraulic trottle today,.going to make the correct style headers as well cause mine leak bad with pin holes all over em.,then prbably put my 600ci dart motor back in..im sure it will run a 10 then.,!

28. bullittrob

bullittrob
    from london

heres the areas i mean

Attached Files:

29. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Ya BUT ,,notice the Model A sunviser goes All The Way Out to the Door Post ,,the Chevy is a inch oe so Shorter ,,just like the Blue ( Green) Car ,,plus,,the Ford Viser is bigger than the Chevy ,,????
    Anybody got a pic of the Green Hot Rod in the Drive-Inn Scene ??? i had it but can't find it ,,might clear this up if we could see it in a scene from the movie ,,

30. Sscott55

Sscott55
    from Ojai

I am sticking with Ford with Chevy parts as my answer.

[​IMG]